Watkins: ‘He took it on his shoulders’ - Dak Prescott shines in first playoff win

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
[h=1][/h] Calvin Watkins Jan 6, 2019

ARLINGTON​ —​ The quarterback that​ many Cowboys fans love to​ hate has led Dallas to the NFC Divisional Round.

Dak​​ Prescott is never going to play a perfect game, but he usually does enough to win. On Saturday night he did more than enough. With the Cowboys leaning on their best offensive weapon, Ezekiel Elliott, for a potential game-clinching drive in the fourth quarter against the Seahawks, it was Prescott who sealed the victory with two plays.

On a third-and-14 from the Seattle 17, offensive coordinator Scott Linehan called for a quarterback draw. Prescott took the shotgun snap and darted up the field, running through two defenders before getting flipped by free safety Tedric Thompson near the goal line.

On the first-and-goal from the 1, Prescott snuck between his backup center (Joe Looney) and All-Pro right guard (Zack Martin) for a one-yard touchdown with 2:08 left to seal the victory. Dallas defeated Seattle 24-22 inside a loud and frenzied AT&T Stadium on Wild Card weekend.

“It’s simple,” Elliott said of his quarterback. “He’s a grown-ass man. He led us to this win tonight.”

(Tim Heitman / USA TODAY Sports)

Prescott’s numbers are not going to wow you. He completed 22-of-33 passes for 226 yards. He threw one touchdown pass, a perfect throw on a fade route to Michael Gallup, and wiggled in for the other. He did throw an interception in the end zone on a pass toward Noah Brown (although a defensive pass interference could have been called on Seahawks linebacker K.J. Wright). The Cowboys had three three-and-outs within the game’s 12 drives and produced just nine yards in the third quarter.

But Prescott was good despite those things. And after the game, you could find him hugging the man he just beat, Russell Wilson.

Wilson is a Super Bowl winner and considered an elite quarterback. You could argue that he was outplayed on Saturday night. Wilson completed 18-of-27 passes for 233 yards, but the Cowboys kept him in the pocket and limited the number of big plays he’s famous for. He had one last bomb, a 53-yarder to Tyler Lockett late in the fourth quarter, but the Seahawks had little chance of winning at that stage, particularly without a kicker capable of executing an onside kick.

Prescott is often compared to the man he replaced: Tony Romo. It took Romo until his fourth season as the full-time starter to win a playoff game. Prescott got his in three seasons.

“He took it on his shoulders,” Jerry Jones said. “He made plays that put us in position to come out like we did. That’s what you want from your quarterback. Their quarterback lived up to his skill level of what he is. He really gave us all we could handle.

The Cowboys would have you believe that it does not matter who they face next.

If this team travels to New Orleans to play the Saints, they will do so confidently. In Week 12, the Cowboys upset the Saints at AT&T Stadium. Of course, knocking off this Saints team at the Superdome is a daunting task; but it’s one that doesn’t scare Prescott or his teammates.

The Cowboys could also wind up in Los Angeles facing the Rams in the next round, a possibility that does not appear to faze this team. Think about the myriad of Cowboys fans who populate the team’s training camp in Oxnard, Calif. and their enthusiasm for a West Coast playoff game. If you believe the Chargers have problems drawing fans in Carson, just wait for a Cowboys-Rams game. The crowd may be split down the middle.

Wherever the Cowboys end up next week, their confidence level in Prescott has never been higher.

“That’s the dog,” wide receiver Tavon Austin said. “I always call two generals in here, him and Sean Lee. Nothing don’t go by without them two. The boy is a soldier. He’s never going to stop, that’s what I like about him. He’s his own individual. I sensed that he had it in him (in training camp). It’s about you feeling yourself, that’s all it is. I like that about anybody who feels themselves. You’ve got to be some type of cocky regardless, you don’t have to be verbal, but you’ve got to be cocky. Look at boxers and basketball players and LeBron and them guys, you’ve got to, just don’t make it verbal. If it’s in you, it’s in you.”

That acceptance Prescott seeks inside his locker room is there. The players understand what he’s about and follow him.

“Dak is amazing,” linebacker Jaylon Smith said. “A guy you want in your foxhole.”

“Legendary,” Elliott said. “He came out there and made plays when we needed him, especially in the running game. I mean whenever you see a quarterback with a run like that, and break tackles, he’s done it a couple of times this year, it really is tough for that defense. So I mean, Dak came out there and he played his tail off today.”

“It just shows his toughness,” Looney said. “His competitiveness.”

Prescott became the first NFL player with 20 or more passing touchdowns and five or more rushing touchdowns in each of his first three seasons. He’s won two NFC East titles in his young career and among the 15 quarterbacks in the 2016 draft class, Prescott has the most regular seasons wins (32) and playoff wins (1).

Is that enough to gain the acceptance of Cowboys Nation? Maybe Prescott doesn’t really care. In reality, as long as the respect is in the locker room, he has what matters. In private moments, Prescott believes that you’re not a Cowboys fan if you don’t support all the players. When the Cowboys offense entered the field on Saturday, you heard some boos, especially when Prescott’s mug was shown on the Jumbotron.

Based on what he’s done this season, it seems unfair. The offense stalled numerous times this season; Prescott’s offensive line is patched up and currently has an undersized rookie left guard, (Connor Williams), a left tackle declining in health and effectiveness (Tyron Smith), an average right tackle (La’el Collins), an All-Pro (Martin) and a backup (Looney). Yet Prescott is able to survive this and push this group to the next round of the postseason.

Prescott is what Cowboys fans have right now, and nobody is coming to replace him. His intangibles and his skill-set help the team a great deal.

“I’m in a young career,” he said. “I’m three years in.”

He will miss throws; they all do. But when he runs the ball, he becomes an extremely valuable player. His pocket presence should improve over time. When Romo got the job, Terrell Owens used to complain he struggled to read defenses. Prescott waits too long in the pocket for receivers to get open, but the alternative of forcing the ball into coverage is a scarier proposition. After what these Cowboys have seen, who among them wouldn’t want Prescott leading them into the next round of the postseason?

When asked about Prescott’s third-down run, Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said, “It was a big-time run. I think it was a quarterback draw. Well-executed by them. He had two really good plays running the football that made a difference in the game.”

The Cowboys’ defense kept them in this game Saturday. But when it was time for the offense to close out the game, they went on a 5:12 fourth-quarter drive capped by Prescott’s long run and his sneak into the end zone.

Do the fans need more proof?

“It says he’s an elite quarterback,” Cole Beasley said. “He’s been doing it for us all year, and the bigger the moment the bigger he plays, and that’s what you want from your leader. He’s as vocal as any guy that I’ve ever seen and he’s an easy guy to follow.”

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Don't give me that elite QB shit right now.

He's making plays late in the game when it matters, and that's great...but how much better could he be if we didn't try to pretend he's a pocket QB?

As good as this defense is playing, it's a shame that it takes late magic from the "elite" QB to get a win.

With that said, I do believe in the guy during hurry up and late in the game. But why can't they get some production in the first 3 quarters?

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I don't "love to hate," Prescott but we have to be honest about what he is, or what he has been, at least. And let's be honest, he didn't go out there and sling it around like Tom Brady.

I very much want him to succeed. He's at least bought himself another year, hopefully with a new coordinator and QB coach, but if I was making the call, I still wouldn't extend him just yet.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
882/1,475, 59.8%, 11,299 yards, 7.66 YPA, 64 TD's/42 INT's, 28 rushing TD's 794/1,252, 63.4%, 9,950 yards, 7.95 YPA, 72 TD's/26 INT's, 11 rushing TD's 975/1,475, 66.1%, 10,876 yards, 7.37 YPA, 67 TD's/25 INT's, 18 rushing TD's Those are the stats over the first 3 seasons from Wilson, Prescott and Newton. In no world is Prescott elite, he has warts that are very obvious and he has the crutch of a HOF-type RB behind him. With all of that said, there's no denying that on the whole the guy has had a very impressive first 3 seasons and there's reason to think that there is room for improvement. You want to call the 2016 season a fluke? Maybe, but his 2018 stats are almost identical. He played like shit over the 2nd half of 2017 without Elliott/Tyron and an up and down first half of 2018 without Amari, and to a lesser extent before the improvement of Gallup, but statistically his play over the roughly 30-35 games aside from those stretches have been stable and very good. Obviously the guy is dependent on the talent around him but so are 80-90% of QB's. He'll never be a top 5 HOF QB but he is a QB you can win with if the talent around him is right. I'm not completely sold on him forever because the extension has to be priced properly in order to maintain the talent level around him, but at the very least I think we can cool our jets with looking high and low for another QB.

• Props
Reactions: Rev

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Why the desperate rush to call him “elite”

The same people love to forget Zeke’s 169 yard day and the utter inability to pass to set up the run.

The 40+ yarder that broke the game open was all Zeke.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
This is in response to ravid because the site isn't letting me quote his post, but anyway, that 40 yarder didn't "break open the game". It was one of the biggest plays of the game but it still took a great pass from Dak to put 7 on the board, and even then we were up just 10-6. I could also easily argue that the 34 yard pass to Cooper the drive after we went down 14-10 was more critical than Elliott's run as it took us from 2nd and 8 at midfield to 1st and 10 in the red zone, which of course was followed up by taking the lead for good a few plays later.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
This is in response to ravid because the site isn't letting me quote his post, but anyway, that 40 yarder didn't "break open the game". It was one of the biggest plays of the game but it still took a great pass from Dak to put 7 on the board, and even then we were up just 10-6. I could also easily argue that the 34 yard pass to Cooper the drive after we went down 14-10 was more critical than Elliott's run as it took us from 2nd and 8 at midfield to 1st and 10 in the red zone, which of course was followed up by taking the lead for good a few plays later.
Agreed on both counts, but before that run the offense could not set up the run with the pass and they were able to stop the run straight up. After that run the Seahawks focused more in the box leaving WRs open in single coverage. Before that play the offense had really struggled.

And while the ensuing TD pass to Gallup was well executed it was really lucky the defender didn’t notice it until too late as he had both size and position on Gallup. Dak just made up his mind to throw it.

As for the 34 yard pass which was indeed critical to winning the game, Cooper was clearly wide open. Can’t argue with the results, but we’re saying that pass alone was “elite”?

Why the rush? Just enjoy the win, and if he wins the Superbowl we can start the elite talk in earnest.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Sure it's all interconnected, but to act like Elliott was just getting stonewalled before that play and the passing game was doing nothing is disingenuous. Elliott was averaging about 4 YPC before that run, not great but by no means is that stonewalled, and Prescott had around 120 yards on something like 14/20 passing. Again, not great but not terrible either. The big run kind of opened things up a bit but you can't just ignore the big plays from Prescott that were intertwined all along. And I don't think anybody called him elite, I literally said "in no world is he elite".

GShock

DCC 4Life
He's not Brady, or Rogers, or Brees. Elite, but don't win every year.

Flacco, and Wilson, and Foles can and have won. I see no reason he cannot be in that class, if surrounded with the right talent. Paying Flacco and Wilson after their wins certainly led to an exodus of talent that even superior coaches are struggling to overcome. It will be a difficult needle to thread.

Hoffa

DCC 4Life
I don't "love to hate," Prescott but we have to be honest about what he is, or what he has been, at least. And let's be honest, he didn't go out there and sling it around like Tom Brady.

I very much want him to succeed. He's at least bought himself another year, hopefully with a new coordinator and QB coach, but if I was making the call, I still wouldn't extend him just yet.

One should keep in mind that young Tom Brady wasn't slinging it around like current Tom Brady does. In those early Patriots Super Bowl runs, Brady was mainly putting up so-so performances, playing for a team with a stacked defense that kept games close so he and/or Adam Vinateri could win it down the stretch. Similar to our quarterback.

As GShock points out above -- Flacco, Foles and Eli have all proven that it's not always the elite QB's who get you there. Often times in the playoffs, it's a matter of who's hottest at that particular moment. Right now, at least in the NFC, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a QB playing with more confidence and momentum than Dak.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
These stories all seem to forget that game could have gone really badly for the Cowboys. Despite all the good things that happened. The inconsistency was still on display for all to see. Their was the almost pick 6 that seems to be typical of early game play for him. There was the turnover in the red zone, There was not nearly as much holding the ball too long and taking a sack this game. There was the missed opportunity long pass plays he always seems to have. And then the good stuff, the 15 yard run on 3rd and long, the beautiful pass to Gallup, and some other great plays.

p1_

DCC 4Life
These stories all seem to forget that game could have gone really badly for the Cowboys. Despite all the good things that happened. The inconsistency was still on display for all to see. Their was the almost pick 6 that seems to be typical of early game play for him. There was the turnover in the red zone, There was not nearly as much holding the ball too long and taking a sack this game. There was the missed opportunity long pass plays he always seems to have. And then the good stuff, the 15 yard run on 3rd and long, the beautiful pass to Gallup, and some other great plays.
the interception was not on Dak.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
And I like our defense, but I doubt they're going to be able to keep Goff shut down all game.

Dak's got to come out early with that sense of urgency that we didn't see until the 4th quarter in Seattle.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Well it wasn't totally not on him. He puts that ball in front of receiver instead of on top of him and he has a much better chance of protecting the ball and catching it. He needed to lead him more to the right because that was an easy throw at least to the 1-2 if not for the TD.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
And I like our defense, but I doubt they're going to be able to keep Goff shut down all game.

Dak's got to come out early with that sense of urgency that we didn't see until the 4th quarter in Seattle.
He showed it at the end of the half. But yeah Dak's superb at the end of halves when he has to be. But other than that I think the coaches and Dak play it very conservatively.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It wasn't a great pass but had there not been a blatant PI that ball is never picked and it's probably a TD. He made the right decision, I just wish he would have led the receiver a little more to the right. The problem is everyone expects perfection. No QB is ever perfect. Some throws aren't perfect. Some open guys get missed. Every QB does it. You strive for perfection but if that's your standard for a QB having a great game then you're always going to be disappointed.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Rayne Dakota Prescott IS A GROWN MAN!!!

I'm done doubting. He's our QB, warts and all. Extend him. Built the team and coaching staff around him. That's my vote.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
Others have mentioned the issue with the pass. IT wasn't entirely on him but even Troy said it was an under thrown ball that had he led him better would have been a TD or in my opinion they likely would have gotten the PI. The consistent problem to me that Dak has to get over though, is having these sorts of mistakes in the red zone. They are bad enough as is, but he has so many in that area and the importance just gets magnified. I'm with lost, I think he can be great for us if he gets the right coaching and support. This staff isn't it.

Top Bottom