Cowboys Want To Keep Richard; Jets Reportedly Add Him To Interview List

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I don't want to lose Richard.

Not only does he bring discipline, but he seems to make sure that the defense is not too complicated for his players.

I like the way he connects with the guys and motivates them to want to be better.

His confidence trickled down to the defense right out of the gate and I don't think most of y'all remember how out of sync the defense was before he got here.

So I think that his impact is being underblown, how bout that?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Marinelli 1-on-1: I’ll do what Cowboys need to keep Kris Richard

By MIKE FISHER 42 minutes ago
FRISCO - Interest from other NFL teams in search of a head coach is an obstacle to the Dallas Cowboys retaining top defensive assistant Kris Richard, of course. But another potential obstacle that is commonly in play in this matters -- ego -- has been eliminated.

"I’ll do whatever the Cowboys need to be done for us to keep Kris Richard,'' defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli tells me in an exclusive visit. "I only care about on
what’s best for the players. I don’t care about titles. Having Kris here is best for the players. That’s I am in favor of.''

Marinelli, 69, is legendary in NFL circles for his selflessness. In his lengthy career, he's been responsible for the development of some of the best defenses, and defensive coaches, in league history. He believes Richard has "the right stuff'' to be all of that, comparing him to the likes of former associates like Tony Dungy and Mike Tomlin. And so while he certainly doesn't want to stand in the way of the 39-year-old Richard departing to run his own program with the Miami Dolphins or the New York Jets or wherever, he doesn't see it as a personal sacrifice at all to shuffle some responsibility and some titles to keep intact a staff that has led Dallas to "elite'' status on defense.

"Back when I started coaching, in college, we didn’t even have titles,'' Rod tells me. "There wasn't a defensive coordinator. Guys just had their areas of responsibility and we all worked together and we all pulled together I still think of it the same way.''

Presently, in Richard's first season in Dallas, he's the "defensive passing game coordinator'' and the "secondary coach.'' But as the group developed last spring, Marinelli encouraged Richard to put his stamp on things. Suddenly, like Matt Eberflus before him, Richard was the defensive play-caller and when I suggest to Rod that Richard is "basically the 'co-defensive coordinator,''' he does not balk.

"I hope so,'' Rod says when I add that the development of Eberflus and Richard has been quickened by Marinelli's lack of ego. "My whole thing is, 'How do we make our defense the best defense?' Not, 'How do we make things best for me?' I want to help develop men to go lead organizations. That's important to me. Give them some ownership and the faster they grow. 'Flu' (Eberflus, now the Indianapolis Colts coordinator and a Cleveland Browns head coach interviewee) and Kris? Give them that. And, whoosh, they take off.''

"Take off'' meaning development, of course -- not necessarily "take off'' for New York or Miami.

Amid errant reports that the Dolphins has "focused'' on Richard, I'm told Patriots assistant Brian Floresis also highly-regarded there. And in New York, one formidable candidate is Packers ex Mike McCarthy and Baylor's Matt Ruhle, I'm told, is part of an "intensifying buzz'' for the Jets job.

If Richard wants to go? Marinelli will support that. If the Cowboys need to be creative in order to keep Richard on head coach Jason Garrett's staff? Marinelli supports that, too.

After Richard helped his Cowboys beat the Seahawks in last week's playoff opener, and on the eve of the trio of interviews he was to have with the Jets, Dolphins and Buccaneers about their head coaching vacancies - I asked him a general philosophical football question.

"The game's about the ball,'' Richard told me, his usual intensity on full display right before he heated up a pot of coffee. "As much as everyone loves the high-flyin' and scoring points and this and that, protect the football and you give your team a really good chance to be successful.''

Three interviews were conducted in DFW on Sunday. The Bucs found their guy in Bruce Arians. Two other spots, it seems remain. Said Rod: "To me, he's a head coach. He just hasn't beem hired yet. But he's a head coach. Just waiting for the right job. But he's a head coach.''

OK, but what if the Cowboys can compete to make Richard's situation in Dallas better than he might find elsewhere? I ask Marinelli if he cares if Kris gets a promotion to defensive coordinator, or if somebody gets the promotion to assistant head coach, or even if Marinelli himself is scaled down to his first positional love, coaching the D-line.

"Would not bother me at all,'' Marinelli tells me, indicating that as it regards his egoless approach to helping the team, its coaches and its players, the Jones family is aware.

And now, Cowboys Nation, in regard to an important dynamic regarding how the Dallas Cowboys work inside this building ... so are you.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Shall we step outside?

p1_

DCC 4Life
There’s a thought he might have been offered Dolphins job.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is my thought too...

and what about Rat Salad as OC? The Steelers were aggressive and successful during his stint.
He has always been an excellent defensive coordinator. Maybe a bit of an asshole but an excellent defensive coordinator.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I don't want to lose Richard.

Not only does he bring discipline, but he seems to make sure that the defense is not too complicated for his players.

I like the way he connects with the guys and motivates them to want to be better.

His confidence trickled down to the defense right out of the gate and I don't think most of y'all remember how out of sync the defense was before he got here.

So I think that his impact is being underblown, how bout that?
Richard has definitely had an impact and I'd love to keep him, but my point is that some people seem to think he's the sole reason that the defense is as good as it is and/or that he's single-handedly elevated them from shit to elite. The defense was generally just as good last year when Lee was in the lineup, the major difference now is that we have 2 Lee's and they both stay on the field. Throw in Gregory's emergence and I think those are the main reasons that our defense has played so well, not because Richard came in and sprinkled magic pixie dust on a shit unit.

Stats never tell the whole story but take a look at this:

PPG: 20.8, 20.3
Pass YPG/YPA: 214.1/6.7, 234.7/7.4
Sacks: 38, 39
INT's: 9, 10
Rush YPG/YPC: 104.0/4.1, 94.6/3.8

Which of those numbers are from 2017 and which are from 2018?

They're almost identical across the board.

Aside from Jones moving to CB I don't see any major schematic changes either, maybe slightly more blitzing but people forget that Marinelli actually blitzed a good amount back in 2016 before Lawrence turned into an elite presence off the edge.

Losing Richard would suck but he is replaceable, it's just anybody's guess whether or not we do a good job of that if it becomes necessary.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Richard has definitely had an impact and I'd love to keep him, but my point is that some people seem to think he's the sole reason that the defense is as good as it is and/or that he's single-handedly elevated them from shit to elite. The defense was generally just as good last year when Lee was in the lineup, the major difference now is that we have 2 Lee's and they both stay on the field. Throw in Gregory's emergence and I think those are the main reasons that our defense has played so well, not because Richard came in and sprinkled magic pixie dust on a shit unit.

Stats never tell the whole story but take a look at this:

PPG: 20.8, 20.3
Pass YPG/YPA: 214.1/6.7, 234.7/7.4
Sacks: 38, 39
INT's: 9, 10
Rush YPG/YPC: 104.0/4.1, 94.6/3.8

Which of those numbers are from 2017 and which are from 2018?

They're almost identical across the board.

Aside from Jones moving to CB I don't see any major schematic changes either, maybe slightly more blitzing but people forget that Marinelli actually blitzed a good amount back in 2016 before Lawrence turned into an elite presence off the edge.

Losing Richard would suck but he is replaceable, it's just anybody's guess whether or not we do a good job of that if it becomes necessary.
I need the stats for what the defense would have had if he wasnt here this year.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I need the stats for what the defense would have had if he wasnt here this year.
Yeah the fact that league scoring is way up this year but yet the scoring against us dropped tells me about all I need to know. Plus this defense has had a different feel to it. They have shown this year they can sort of win games on their own. I really like Kris Richard and I think the agressive nature he has brought to this defense is part of the reason this team hasn't fallen apart this season. I'm not saying he can't be replaced but I really don't want to sit here hoping that we bring in Gregg Williams and instead get some shitty LBer coach promotion or something.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
Does a rising star position coach or coordinator want to go to a coaching graveyard? So many teams in the NFL are precisely that. The teams that suck are always the ones looking for new coaches. Why is that? Ownership? Management?

I wonder if someone like Richard, especially given what Marinelli said, would wait another year or two in Dallas -- young, talented players on defense -- so that his star would really shine brighter in the sky. Have his pick of HC jobs, maybe with a decent team instead of Miami, Buffalo, Tampa, NYJ, et al.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
I would think any DC would want to come here and coach this defense. It's young, filled with good to great talent all over and could be a Richard style stepping stone to a HC if that's what the person wanted. What I'd really like though, is to land a DC who knows his place and would stay here and continue to build a legacy style great D like the guy in Pittsburgh did.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Does a rising star position coach or coordinator want to go to a coaching graveyard? So many teams in the NFL are precisely that. The teams that suck are always the ones looking for new coaches. Why is that? Ownership? Management?
Yeah I mean look at the Patriots offensive coordinator. He basically has shutdown interviewing for anyone. Josh McDaniels had a couple of jobs he was interested in but otherwise is content remaining with the Patriots as their head coach in waiting. He would have probably taken the Green Bay job for example. Knowing he would have a hand delivered top level QB and a team ready to be successful. But why go to a shitty team, flounder for a couple season and get fired.

Hopefully Kris Richard realizes the same. The Dolphins are not a particularly talented team. They have a bad franchise QB that they need to cut ties with but haven't. How many stud players can you really name on the Dolphins roster? Do they have any elite players that he would want to build around. It's just not a very good roster. And Richard will probably be looking for a job again in a few years. The Dolphins need a full scale rebuild but they won't do it.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Miami is a bottom 5 job in the league right now. No QB, seemingly off-kilter owner, current front office basically just survived a power struggle with the last HC and may be on thin ice, one of the most putrid rosters in the league and to cap all that off they don't even have a top 10 pick. Here's the list of desirable players 25 or under on their roster: Xavien Howard Minkah Fitzpatrick Laremy Tunsil Raekwon McMillan If Richard goes there I'd say there are better odds that he's back in Dallas at the start of the 2022 season than in Miami.

Top Bottom