How Taco Charlton rubbed the Cowboys wrong and what he changed to get back on field

lostxn

DCC 4Life
How Taco Charlton rubbed the Cowboys wrong and what he changed to get back on field

BY CLARENCE E. HILL JR.
DECEMBER 28, 2018 02:21 PM,
UPDATED DECEMBER 28, 2018 06:03 PM

FRISCO When the Dallas Cowboys started reducing defensive end Taco Charlton’s snaps over the last month, it was blamed on his attitude and approach in practice as well as his recovery from a shoulder injury.

But, according to Charlton, he was benched because the coaches didn’t like the way he carried himself off the field.

The 2017 first-round pick from Michigan was inactive for games against Philadlephia (Nov. 11), Atlanta (Nov. 18) and Washington (Nov. 22) supposedly because of a shoulder injury. He returned against New Orleans (Nov. 29) and saw a season-low four snaps. He was then inactive for the following two games against the Eagles (Dec. 9) and Indianapolis Colts (Dec. 16).

Charlton learned his lesson and changed his ways, allowing him to return to action in Sunday’s victory against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and appears set to remain active for Sunday’s game against the New York Giants and the upcoming playoffs.
“We have had our talks,” Charlton said Friday. “It didn’t have so much to do with practice but away from everything and just walking around and stuff like that, just how I carry myself. We made the corrections. Everything improved. They like where I am now. We are going to keep improving.”

Charlton, who actually came up with the “Hotboyz” nickname for the defensive line, is laid back and that can sometimes be misunderstood.

“I go smooth so it comes off a little wrong,” Charlton said. “But we have a common understanding. I am coming in, keeping my head down and keep working. So that is the mindset I have been going in with and everything has been improving. Just coming in here and work. Don’t do too much. Do what I am supposed to do and it will be good.”

Asked if it bothered him to squelch his personality and conform when so much of this young team, especially on defense is built around swag, Charlton chose not to complain.

“We come here to work,” Charlton said. “Anything that helps me get back out there to help my team out. I am just happy to be out there and help the Hotboyz and make everything go."

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
I mentioned this a little bit ago... he was acting like had "arrived" (see entitled) because he was all :buddy with Tank. Looks like attitude adjustment was successful and all's good. Which is great as a fresh rotation of him and Gregory should give OL's fits.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Lets not kid ourselves. The injury to Crawford certainly helped get his Taco-ness back on the field.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
:lol

shane

DCC 4Life
Hopefully Gregory's emergence will light a fire under Taco. He seemed like he would be another Greg Ellis at Michigan, a solid if not spectacular DE.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Taco needs to shake the entitlement of being the Cowboys’ first round pick, build some stamina, and start hustling.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
This article is nonsense. Had he been performing on field, his off field attitude wouldn't have mattered a whit. I hated this pick then, I hate it now. Still should have drafted talent and TJ was way more talented.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
So he really was a soft taco.

He's really done nothing at the NFL level, so it would be great if he'd just stay hungry.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
This article is nonsense. Had he been performing on field, his off field attitude wouldn't have mattered a whit. I hated this pick then, I hate it now. Still should have drafted talent and TJ was way more talented.
Way too light to play in the 4-3. He's not Ryan Kerrigan.

p1_

DCC 4Life
he goes one of the Watt supporters.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
Way too light to play in the 4-3. He's not Ryan Kerrigan.
He's 15 lbs lighter than Taco. Are you telling me he couldn't add 15 lbs or they couldn't have modified how he was used to fit?

Top Bottom