Cowboys vs. Giants: Game balls go to Blake Jarwin & Dak Prescott

lostxn

DCC 4Life
[h=1]Cowboys vs. Giants: Game balls go to Blake Jarwin & Dak Prescott, the dynamic duo[/h] [h=2]It was a split decision between the young tight end and the young QB.[/h] By Dave Halprin Dec 30, 2018, 4:04pm CST

Did you enjoy that meaningless game? The Dallas Cowboys 36-35 win over the New York Giants started out with uncertainty about how the game would be treated, and ended in a barn-burner full of emotion. The Cowboys offense was a shell of itself with two starting linemen inactive and another lost to injury, plus the star running back was resting. But they did have Dak Prescottwho ended up playing the whole game. And Prescott had Blake Jarwin, who went off like no Cowboys tight end has since 1973.

Jason Garrett said he was going to play to win. When he decided to make Ezekiel Elliott inactive, it seemed like that story was collapsing. Then he decided to play Dak Prescott for the whole game, even with backups across the offensive line by the end of the game except for La’el Collins at right tackle. Prescott rewarded the faith of his coach by turning in a monster game capped by another late-game, game-winning drive.

The numbers for Prescott: 27 for 44, 387 yards, four touchdowns and a 120.2 rating. All of that behind a makeshift offensive line and no Zeke. That is an incredible performance. He had no running game to speak of and it all relied on his arm. It’s often said Prescott is not the kind of quarterback and can put the team on his shoulders and will them to a win over a whole game, but he did on Sunday. Sure, it was just one game but the confidence boost for Prescott has to be substantial. Jason Garrett rolled the dice by playing him for four quarters, but in the end it paid off. The Cowboys offense went off and Prescott was one of the main reasons.

The other main reason? Blake Jarwin. The tight end has been talked about for a while as having the tools to be a weapon. Cowboys fans hadn’t really seen it yet, although over the last couple of weeks he was starting to assert himself. On Sunday, he blew through the door and exploded.

Jarwin caught seven passes for 119 yards and three touchdowns. No Cowboys tight end since Billy Joe DuPree in 1973 has had three touchdowns in a game. The Cowboys tight ends have become more of the game plan over the last few weeks with Jarwin and Dalton Schultz ramping up their production. But nothing had prepared us for the game Jarwin turned in against the Giants. Having that happen right before the playoffs could be a significant development. It could help solve the red zone issue.

While we’re here, a special game ball shout out to Cole Beasley. His production this year has been spotty and at times he’s appeared frustrated with his role. He has stuck with it and was rewarded today with six catches for 94 yards, plus an unbelievably clutch touchdown catch that allowed the Cowboys to win the game.

Much has been made of the Cowboys issues in the passing game on offense, with only Amari Cooper being a guy to fear. Dak Prescott has had his ups-and-downs this year and that has contributed to the issues. For one game, and it’s the game right before the playoffs, the Cowboys passing game was spectacular. Perfect timing.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
You know the more I think about it, this was Dak's finest game. He was without Zeke, Tyron, Sua Filo for the deciding bits of the game, Frederick, and Martin. Dak had to put the team on his back and he did. He spread the ball around, moved around to open things up and threw some absolute strikes. Yeah he missed Cooper but that throw to Beasley was the best of his career. He threw it from the 37 yard line to the back of the endzone. It was a 50 yard laser on a rope, thrown on the run, to a tiny receiver - and it was perfect.

Yeah the game didn't mean much in the grand scheme of things but if it doesn't make you consider - just for a minute - that Dak might be growing as a player you are nuts.

I know we all like to hate on Dak to show how we're not homers, but the guy is no bum.

Cujo

DCC 4Life
I've been very critical of Dak at times but I have to give him his due. He played very well. That is the type of performance that we can consistently win behind.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Jarwin arriving just in time. We need him to continue his ascendance to keep the red zone offense rolling, and giving Zeke better looks too.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
You know the more I think about it, this was Dak's finest game. He was without Zeke, Tyron, Sua Filo for the deciding bits of the game, Frederick, and Martin. Dak had to put the team on his back and he did. He spread the ball around, moved around to open things up and threw some absolute strikes. Yeah he missed Cooper but that throw to Beasley was the best of his career. He threw it from the 37 yard line to the back of the endzone. It was a 50 yard laser on a rope, thrown on the run, to a tiny receiver - and it was perfect.

Yeah the game didn't mean much in the grand scheme of things but if it doesn't make you consider - just for a minute - that Dak might be growing as a player you are nuts.

I know we all like to hate on Dak to show how we're not homers, but the guy is no bum.
It was clearly his best game. No OL, no Zeke, no established TE, defense playing like a sieve.

No turnovers and four touchdowns with a game winner TD to rival any and 2-pt conversion that had to be made. He made Jarwin into a threat and morphed into exactly the QB the Cowboys needed.

Would I like to see better ypa, sure, but given the context couldn’t ask for a finer game.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Dak had a very good game but I lean towards Jarwin. He went above and beyond this game, some great catches and great effort after the catch. Dak has flashed before but Jarwin caught me by surprise.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Dak had a very good game but I lean towards Jarwin. He went above and beyond this game, some great catches and great effort after the catch. Dak has flashed before but Jarwin caught me by surprise.
Beasley’s catch was almost freaky the way he managed to get his knee down. Without that all would be another loss on the Cowboys record,
.Dallas should have had a more decisive win. Either the defense has deterioted badly or the Giants have gotten much better as the season progressed.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Beasley’s catch was almost freaky the way he managed to get his knee down. Without that all would be another loss on the Cowboys record,
.Dallas should have had a more decisive win. Either the defense has deterioted badly or the Giants have gotten much better as the season progressed.
More of the Giants being better and a motivation problem on the defense.

Defense wasn’t very motivated to start with and then totally took its foot off the gas after they got early turnovers and Dallas went up 14-0.

People talk about the game being important for Dak, well I think it’s one the defense would like to forget.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Either the defense has deterioted badly or the Giants have gotten much better as the season progressed.
I think Dallas dozed off in this one with nothing to play for but a tenth win. I also don't think they prepared well but that's my amateur opinion.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think Dallas dozed off in this one with nothing to play for but a tenth win. I also don't think they prepared well but that's my amateur opinion.
I think the coaches probably didn't want to show too much either. I'm sure they were holding back a little knowing they probably needed to start preparing for the Seahawks.

Top Bottom