Should Carrot rest some starters vs. Giants?

deadrise

DCC 4Life
Considered putting this in the form of a poll but thought opinions and observations would be more interesting.

IMHO, playing starters in search of a 10th win that makes Carrot and Jerry feel better about themselves, but means nothing otherwise, is really fucking stupid. But then ...

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I think it would be beneficial for the defense. Not so much for the offense. Who knows what a week off would do for that mess?

Sheik

DCC 4Life
I’d make Tyron Smith and Z Martin live in a hyperbaric chamber until right before kickoff of the playoff game. Rest them and probably Zeke too.

I’d play the starters on defense for one qtr, then yank them.

let Dak play the whole game because he sucks.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’d make Tyron Smith and Z Martin live in a hyperbaric chamber until right before kickoff of the playoff game. Rest them and probably Zeke too.

I’d play the starters on defense for one qtr, then yank them.

let Dak play the whole game because he sucks.
Yeah I just don't want a replay of the Falcons last year which throws Dak into a shell. If that happens he's still your starter in the playoffs and you're that much worse for it.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
There's the whole momentum thing going into the playoffs vs. fresh legs in that first game, plus giving guys who are banged up a chance to heal.

I agree with keeping Martin, Smith and Elliott out of harm's way. Elliott has to be feeling it at this point. Play the starting D a couple series then start to feed some subs in.

Dak, Gallup and Brown could use the reps.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
There's the whole momentum thing going into the playoffs vs. fresh legs in that first game, plus giving guys who are banged up a chance to heal.

I agree with keeping Martin, Smith and Elliott out of harm's way. Elliott has to be feeling it at this point. Play the starting D a couple series then start to feed some subs in.

Dak, Gallup and Brown could use the reps.
I think Zeke wants to clinch that rushing title badly. To me it's a who cares statistic but he clearly wants to play bad.

I don't subscribe to the fresh legs theory either. We sucked off the by week. The extra time off just seems to make our players lazy and throws them out of their rhythm. NFL players are creatures of habit and taking time off throws them out of whack in my opinion. It's sort of like coming back to work on Monday. For most people at least Mondays are the worst. Those 2 days off don't help you come in Monday ready to hit the ground running. I think in a way it's sort of the same for NFL players. I think the extra time off sort of puts players into sleep mode and you see performances like we had coming off the bye week.

Plus, one less game isn't going to make that much of a difference in a players health coming into the first week of the playoffs. Of course questionable guys like Martin you sit to get back to 100%. But I'm on board with playing everyone who is healthy. Let Dak throw to the guys he is actually going to throw to in games. Throwing a bunch of balls to Noah Brown with no protection in front of him isn't going to help us. And these defensive players need to hit and stay aggressive. Taking time off will only negatively impact them.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
If we sit Martin and Smith, I would sit Dak, as well. He doesn't need Adrian Clayborne flashbacks haunting him in the playoffs.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If we sit Martin and Smith, I would sit Dak, as well. He doesn't need Adrian Clayborne flashbacks haunting him in the playoffs.
I'm actually leaning towards playing everyone but Martin at this point. I'd restrict Zeke heavily and let Darius Jackson get a heavy workload but I don't feel good about sitting guys. It's never worked out well for us in the past.

Cotton

Staff member
I'm actually leaning towards playing everyone but Martin at this point. I'd restrict Zeke heavily and let Darius Jackson get a heavy workload but I don't feel good about sitting guys. It's never worked out well for us in the past.
My opinion was only if half the line is sitting. If we play Tyron, I'm playing Dak and Zeke both.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
My opinion was only if half the line is sitting. If we play Tyron, I'm playing Dak and Zeke both.
Yeah I'm in agreement with you then. If you're going to start your second team O-line (Without Martin and Smith you're basically doing that) then there is no point in having your QB and RB flounder around getting crushed. Probably no reason to have Cooper out there either catching passes from Cooper Rush at that point either.

Smith is healthy now. You either go all in with the healthy guys or not at all. This thought of putting Dak out there with no Zeke behind a second string O-line makes no sense to me. He isn't going to learn a damn thing doing that.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Yeah I'm in agreement with you then. If you're going to start your second team O-line (Without Martin and Smith you're basically doing that) then there is no point in having your QB and RB flounder around getting crushed. Probably no reason to have Cooper out there either catching passes from Cooper Rush at that point either.

Smith is healthy now. You either go all in with the healthy guys or not at all. This thought of putting Dak out there with no Zeke behind a second string O-line makes no sense to me. He isn't going to learn a damn thing doing that.
I dont think Smith is so healthy. Youve seen how many holding calls hes gotten recently. That tells you he's not right. Between his back and now his elbow, he's a shell of the man he was. I think he gets some rest this week.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I dont think Smith is so healthy. Youve seen how many holding calls hes gotten recently. That tells you he's not right. Between his back and now his elbow, he's a shell of the man he was. I think he gets some rest this week.
I mean he is a full participant in practice. So I think he is about as healthy as he is going to get. I don't think sitting for a week is going to help him get in a groove. If anything he may need to continue working on his technique since the NFL seems to have a problem with the way he blocks suddenly. The holds he is getting called for looks the same as he has always blocked. He isn't reaching and tackling guys. He is just getting those vice grips of hands on dudes and now the NFL is calling those as holds on him. Frankly the holds they are calling on Smith look like the most questionable holds I see by our O-line. They are pretty damn questionable if you ask me. I think they just get called because he gets lazy with his feet and the defender is getting a little space when it's happening.

Just my opinion. Again if he was actually hurt he shouldn't be a full participant at practice.

Cotton

Staff member
I have changed my mind. I think I sit Zeke regardless. He needs the rest.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I mean he is a full participant in practice. So I think he is about as healthy as he is going to get. I don't think sitting for a week is going to help him get in a groove. If anything he may need to continue working on his technique since the NFL seems to have a problem with the way he blocks suddenly. The holds he is getting called for looks the same as he has always blocked. He isn't reaching and tackling guys. He is just getting those vice grips of hands on dudes and now the NFL is calling those as holds on him. Frankly the holds they are calling on Smith look like the most questionable holds I see by our O-line. They are pretty damn questionable if you ask me. I think they just get called because he gets lazy with his feet and the defender is getting a little space when it's happening.

Just my opinion. Again if he was actually hurt he shouldn't be a full participant at practice.
No, youre absolutely right, hes physically able to go. I just think the holds are real, and he doesn't seem to be quite as stout, if you will.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dak Prescott is preparing for the New York Giants as if it is a normal week and believes the Cowboys, who have won six of seven games, need to keep their momentum going. Prescott thought the 2016 Cowboys lost their momentum heading into the playoffs. "The way that season turned out, losing a game as late as we did and then winning and getting back on track, then taking that week off, plus the bye week at the time, it was almost two weeks," Prescott said. "We started off slow in that playoff game and were able to bounce back and get back on our feet, but eventually losing, I think that's what you can turn to as a reason on why we should play and how important it is that people just keep their feet moving and stay active."

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
We’re gonna get drummed in the playoffs, fuck it. Play everyone and get one last win.
I recall a few games in the earlier part of the season where almost everyone who posts on this board also pulled the plug on the team to even a winning season. I indicated they would start slow due to the way the starters were held out but would hit their stride after about 4 or 5 games. I think the same circumstance is evident with the team now. If Garrett withholds the starters from the Giants game the team will not be revved enough to be sharp in the playoff rounds. I hope Garrett doesn’t follow his normal pattern.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
The Seahawks might be playing like the best team in the NFL right now. And we draw them in the first round. Awesome.
They lost at San Francisco and looked like shit doing it 2 weeks ago, so there's that.

They're a completely different team on the road vs. at home and I feel like all people remember is how they look at home. I legitimately think they are a 13-3 caliber team at home and a 8-8/9-7 caliber team on the road.

They've only had 7 real road games since one of their "road" games was in London, and they're 3-4 over those 7, with one of those 3 wins coming at Arizona on a last second FG. They also got pretty lucky to win at Carolina where they gave up damn near 500 yards of offense.

Long story short, they're a good team and pretty much a toss-up matchup with us, but there is no way they are one of the best teams in the league once you get them away from Seattle.

Top Bottom