Mosley: Does an NFC East title guarantee Jason Garrett will be back next season? Not necessarily

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Garrett never wanted to give up playcalling in the first place. Jerry made him.

Then when Jason stealthily stole it back from Callahan, Jerry had to slap him on the wrist and take it from him again. Jerry compromised by letting Jason pick his OC.

I have no idea who we'd get this time if that happened again. Garrett's list of fellow coaches is so short, there aren't a lot of qualified guys he knows. Maybe Norv is the Carolina staff gets blown up.

But the point is, Jerry obviously doesn't trust Garrett to make these important decisions himself.
Garrett needs to go after someone that isn't "one of his guys" the way we brought Richard in. Garrett needs to be a true walk around head coach if he wants to succeed. Garrett is a former offensive coach but that isn't his strength (If he has one).

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
Garrett needs to go after someone that isn't "one of his guys" the way we brought Richard in. Garrett needs to be a true walk around head coach if he wants to succeed. Garrett is a former offensive coach but that isn't his strength (If he has one).
And the only way I see that happening is if Jerry makes Garrett hire someone outside his usually lame circle of coaches he's comfortable with. He's never shown any indication he wants any offensive mind on the staff capable of showing him up and possibly supplanting him as HC.

On a normal team the HC should have near absolute determination of his staff but we all know it doesn't work that way with Jerry in charge. And with Garrett's propensity to make covering his own ass one of the most prevalent factors in filling out his offensive staff I'm not sure letting Jerry butt into the process is the most terrible thing.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
So many Garrett cliches in this thread that probably are not remotely true.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
There is zero chance that Garrett gets fired after winning the division.

The best you can hope for at this point is that the Cowboys see what a difference hiring someone from the outside made for the defense, so they decide to look outside for someone to help fix the offense as well.

But any chance of Garrett getting fired went out the window when they got to 8 wins.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
There is zero chance that Garrett gets fired after winning the division.

The best you can hope for at this point is that the Cowboys see what a difference hiring someone from the outside made for the defense, so they decide to look outside for someone to help fix the offense as well.

But any chance of Garrett getting fired went out the window when they got to 8 wins.

Agree, especially if you take into account two division titles in three years.

The only ray of hope would be a humiliating loss at home against the Seahawks (?). Or, some flagrant coaching misjudgement that costs them the game.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Agree, especially if you take into account two division titles in three years.

The only ray of hope would be a humiliating loss at home against the Seahawks (?). Or, some flagrant coaching misjudgement that costs them the game.
Luckily he has had Dak around to carry him to 2 division titles and 3 straight winning records...

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Luckily he has had Dak around to carry him to 2 division titles and 3 straight winning records...
Your love for the guy is disturbing. That is all.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
If Dallas doesn't win the Super Bowl, Kris Richard would be my HC and we'd find a young OC who shares his passion for teaching and implementing a creative plan. Get Garrett's aspberger ass in the front office and let's win some super bowls.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If Dallas doesn't win the Super Bowl, Kris Richard would be my HC and we'd find a young OC who shares his passion for teaching and implementing a creative plan. Get Garrett's aspberger ass in the front office and let's win some super bowls.
Yeah I think Richard is a great coach. At minimum he should take over as defensive coordinator this offseason.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I would absolutely be down for this.

hstour

Brand New Member
Garrett's list of fellow coaches is so short, there aren't a lot of qualified guys he knows.
I think it might be longer that you think. The time spent in Miami & New York certainly gave him contacts. NFL coaches meetings and the time he has spent as an OC/HC has certainly given him others. His dad was in the NFL for a long time. And he is still close to Nick Saban to discuss the college coaching ranks. Hell Saban might even suggest someone from his staff that he knows has a desire to test the NFL ranks.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I think it might be longer that you think. The time spent in Miami & New York certainly gave him contacts. NFL coaches meetings and the time he has spent as an OC/HC has certainly given him others. His dad was in the NFL for a long time. And he is still close to Nick Saban to discuss the college coaching ranks. Hell Saban might even suggest someone from his staff that he knows has a desire to test the NFL ranks.
LOL. You sound like one of the guys when he took over claiming all those years carrying a clipboard actually counted as coaching.

Top Bottom