Sturm: The Morning After - Cowboys clinch NFC East with their go-to recipe: winning ugly

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

By Bob Sturm Dec 24, 2018

In​ all​ sorts of ways,​ this was one of the​ Cowboys’ least-watchable wins in 2018. In all sorts of​​ other ways, this was one of the most identifiable — and it somehow clinched a division title that considered a pretty lofty goal about four months back, much less seven weeks ago when the team was 3-5.

Both can be true, and by my recollection, both actually are.

This Cowboys team is far from perfect and their flaws remain frustrating. They could stand to upgrade certain portions of their roster and coaching staff without any real difficulty, it often seems.

Yet here they are.

They hear you. As much time as they spend on their social media these days — and by most accounts, it seems that just about all of them are looking at their phones with the same regularity as most of us — they can see that the NFL is less than convinced the Cowboys are the real deal. Which was seemingly obvious in many of their interviews last night where they talked about “the guys in this room” and what they believe they are capable of doing. The noise on the outside might spur them on, but in the end, it doesn’t matter.

Only the result truly matters.

For the ninth time in 15 games, the Dallas Cowboys were able to win. That puts them at a 60% win percentage, slightly lower than their 66% win percentage since the start of the 2016 season, a span during which they have now won 31 of their 47 regular-season games. For a little perspective on that number and win percentage, here is a full list of NFC teams that have won more games than the Cowboys over that stretch:

(EMPTY LIST)

That’s right. None. Nobody. In all of football, New England (37), Kansas City (33), and Pittsburgh (32) have more wins since the start of the “21-4” era than the 31-win Cowboys, but only the Saints can match the Cowboys’ win total over three seasons. Those, of course, are the first three seasons of Ezekiel Elliott and Dak Prescott. Prescott, about to become the first Cowboys quarterback ever to start every game for three consecutive seasons, trails only Tom Brady in QB wins over that stretch of time.

I am pretty sure those last few paragraphs are why many in that locker-room do not share your pessimistic appraisal of how good this team believes it is and can be.

They believe they are a team that wins two of every three games it plays, and they’ve earned the right to believe that by backing it up.

You may believe it would sure be nice if they occasionally looked like an elite offense, one with a great QB and an attack capable of scoring 31 points from time to time to deal with the best of the best.

They believe the object of the game is to beat the team across from them over 60 minutes once a week.

You might believe that you have seen enough of the coach and his staff, that their short-term success will only slow the long-term overhaul that would precede a return to the parades of your youth.

They believe that teams have won Super Bowls with a great defense and a “good enough” offense, and that maybe that can be them. Maybe as soon as this year.

You might burst into laughter.

Either way, they have just done something that hasn’t happened in the NFC East since 2006. (Perhaps ironically, the first year of the Tony Romo era.) That was the final year of a six-year span where the Philadelphia Eagles won this division five times. Yesterday, the Cowboys became divisional champions for the third time in a five year stretch (2014, 2016, 2018) a feat no other team has accomplished in the last 12 years.

Winning three divisions in five years doesn’t sound particularly difficult, but to find a Cowboys team that did something that lofty, you would have to go back to 1992-96 when the Triplets and their friends won the division five times straight. In fact, if you take the last three Cowboys division titles before this stretch, you would span 1998-2009; a stretch that is considerably longer than five years. In fact, Jason Garrett now has three division titles on his ledger; equal to Wade Phillips, Bill Parcells, Dave Campo, and Chan Gailey’s combined total.

Now, before sarcastic comments populate below, nobody is suggesting that the benchmark for excellence is winning a four-team division several times and then losing quickly in the wildcard round. But winning your division is the first major step in the proper direction. Further, if you keep winning your division, you are going to be in the mix — and if you stay in the mix long enough, your ship very likely will come in eventually.

The Cowboys beat Tampa Bay 27-20 yesterday in a game that mirrored much of 2018. Their offensive attack was not intimidating, but it definitely knows its identity. Dallas does not produce a ton, but they’re good at getting a lead and turning things over to a defense which constricts the life out of the game.

Between Randy Gregory and Jaylon Smith’s combined strip-sack-return for a touchdown and then the gift from Santa Winston in the third quarter that Gregory returned to the 4-yard line, the defense basically generated as much offense as the offense itself did. This sounds a lot like the recipes in Chicago and Baltimore, and those teams will join the Cowboys in the postseason while most likely winning their divisions, too. Of course, these teams are also constantly discussed as “beatable” and “overrated,” and will be candidates to be “one-and-done” come wildcard weekend, too.

But they will take part in the dance, and therefore have a chance that twenty teams watching on television would certainly love to have.

Much of Sunday’s game was frustrating as the offense sputtered along and allowed Tampa Bay to stay in the game. To be honest, aside from those two big plays — one that Tampa literally just dropped on the ground — the defense was on its heels quite a bit, too. In fact, the Buccaneers had seven drives end inside the Dallas 35-yard line. If they simply were to get points on each of those trips, they probably win the game. But, Tampa Bay’s calling card is to make mistakes and sabotage their own efforts. Those who wish the Cowboys offense was more prolific make bold claims and get even more angry about the lack of fantasy football points this ground-and-pound offense generates, but nobody would rather have a team that puts up 1,200 more yards but in doing so give the ball away 18 more times.

If you believe the Cowboys are frustratingly unproductive (they often are), try producing 80 more yards a game but giving the ball away multiple times — sometimes for a massive defensive touchdown — every single week. That formula cannot work. It will not work. And this is why every year a good way to find success in the NFL is simply to track turnovers. Not yards. Not highlight plays. Take care of the football and reap the rewards.

If you have a QB whose accuracy can frustrate, it is awfully important that his mind dictates his actions and makes good decisions. See: Prescott, Dak. For each of the times he misses a wide-open Blake Jarwin, he seldom misses him in traffic with a throw that ends up being intercepted. If he misses, yardage might suffer, but that ball usually hits the ground and it will simply mean that the punt team is going to come on the field to do its job. The difference between Prescott and many of his contemporaries is based on the fact that he is not throwing the “YOLO” balls. Is he too safe? Perhaps. Many say he is a check-down machine. Others say he is the QB who does a lot to help this team win two of every three games simply by not attempting a lot of the throws he is criticized for being unwilling to throw.

In other words, his most important jobs are to extend drives on third downs, make the simple plays and reads, and avoid damaging mistakes. That is why in the build-up to this game, it was frustrating to hear people discuss Winston and Prescott in similar tones. Sure, they both have plenty of room for improvement and both do not seem to compare with the league’s best. But this isn’t even a conversation.

One of them consistently makes mistakes that get you beat and the other simply does not. Winston has now started 53 games and has given the ball to the opponent via interceptions and fumbles a staggering 75 times. Prescott has now started 47 games and turned the ball over 38 times. Winston’s interceptions more than double Dak’s, 57-25 and his fumbles lost also out-produce Prescott’s, 18-13. The Cowboys are now 26-4 (87%) when Prescott’s passer rating is over 90. That isn’t an accident.

There is simply no comparison. Prescott consistently allows the Cowboys to play winning football, thus his career record of 31-16. Winston consistently puts the Bucs in a position to lose, like he did yesterday, and has a record of 21-32.

Now, there is more to it than QB play, no question. But flip the two players and nobody would ever suggest that someone with Winston’s judgment could complement this team’s winning formula. And yes, there is clearly a formula now for the Cowboys to win games. Control the ball, force opponents to play a long field, and unleash that defense to go out there and do their job.

And the while the defense doesn’t always play to the standard that they set in the New Orleans game, they do have a real knack for getting tougher the closer you get to paydirt. The defining moment of the season might be the goal-line stand against the Saints, but how many big plays have featured all 11 defenders flying to the ball to make a stop? The fact that we have stopped featuring paragraphs of praise for Demarcus Lawrence has nothing to do with his effort or results. Rather, it has been that at times, the exceptional play in the secondary or the linebacker group is starting to steal the attention. It’s also possible that Jaylon Smith is becoming the face of the defense. Seeing him make splash plays every single week is one thing, but being able to go on a 70-yard run just demonstrates his full revival into a play-maker who no longer needs qualifications. He is a legitimate play-making linebacker. And the Cowboys deserve some praise for their belief in him. The same goes for their faith in Randy Gregory. Over this last stretch, he has come on nicely and now sits second on the team with six sacks. Since the bye week, he leads the team with five sacks and has also contributed four tackles for loss. Gregory was left for dead by many on the outside, but the Cowboys stuck with him and are now benefiting from their patience.

I know I often say this, but style points cannot be redeemed for free coffee anywhere. This is a win-or-lose league that simply totals up your results and renders its judgement. It isn’t based on highlights or perfect moments. It is simply judged by sending two teams on to the field each week for three hours of physical confrontations that end with one grabbing (and sometimes eating, Jameis) that “W.” If you do that six times in seven weeks, you go on a surprising run that takes you from a 3-5 record to clinching the division before Christmas.

That, with all of its warts, is an accomplishment worth applauding. Yes, there is much to be done and plenty to clean up. But this team — one of the NFL’s youngest — has just won another division title. This is far from the dizzying heights that they desire and that you demand, but it is pretty darn impressive given where we sat two months ago.

Smile. Your team is pretty good. I’m not sure where that takes you in January, but it will definitely take you to January in a league where 20 of the 32 teams will shut off their lights in six days’ time.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
This is probably the perspective we *should* have. This era only began really in 2016.

But until they break through in the postseason, it's hard to see this current roster as anything other than an extension of what we've seen for the past 20 years, just with a different cast of characters. If they don't break through, it'll in retrospect all just be lumped together .

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
This is probably the perspective we *should* have. This era only began really in 2016.

But until they break through in the postseason, it's hard to see this current roster as anything other than an extension of what we've seen for the past 20 years, just with a different cast of characters. If they don't break through, it'll in retrospect all just be lumped together .
None of any of this will matter if Garrett and Linehan do not go away.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
Two division titles is three years. That's all Jerry will need to extend Carrot. Say hello to your HC for the foreseeable future.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Bill Parcells would love to have coached this team. They play his style of football. You do tend to win 2/3 of your games this way and usually have a crack at the playoffs.

The talent had to be overwhelming to win it all like in 1986, or you had to get lucky like in 1990. That 1990 Superbowl was a coaching masterpiece, and they barely won.

But we’re Cowboys fans who have seen far greater standards of talent and excellence met on the field. Think Roger Staubach would settle for ground and pound and let the defense dictate?

Hell no. Great defense is there to give a great offense more opportunities to score. Period.

Not stifle the other team so your offense can run out the clock and win with a FG. Fuck that.

Cowboys fans yearn for a higher standard.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not stifle the other team so your offense can run out the clock and win with a FG. Fuck that.
This is Garrett's masterful plan. Use the offense to eat up clock. Use the defense to prevent points. And then hope to win close low scoring affairs. We are probably the only NFL team still doing that shit.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Seattle, Chicago and Jacksonville also play that way.
Chicago actually plays a pretty aggressive offensive style. They just don't always do it well.

Seattle does it sometimes but they also know how to do the opposite. They are sort of flexible in their style.

Jacksonville is a pretty good answer though. I forget about them because they sucked so much this year.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Just getting to the heart of our criticism we have for normal standards.

WGAS about Batman driving a car when you’ve seen Superman fucking fly.

Why settle for great defense when you can be great in all three phases? AND have great coaching and personnel decisions too.

Weve seen Jimmy Johnson create a team so dominant that a castoff puppet came in and still led it to a Superbowl victory.

So when Dak plays or Jason Garrett coaches or Jerry GMs like crap I’m going to point it out.

Doesnt mean I won’t enjoy the wins when they do come, far from it.

But as a Cowboys fan who’s seen all time greats dominate in two separate decades I’m never going to be satisfied with a team that settles for old school, crippled Bill Parcells philosophies.

I want Cowboys, Patriots, 49ers, or Steelers level greatness.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
This is Garrett's masterful plan. Use the offense to eat up clock. Use the defense to prevent points. And then hope to win close low scoring affairs. We are probably the only NFL team still doing that shit.
I don't really agree. I think their offense is middle-of-the-pack productive (which is certainly not any kind of laudable achievement when you have Elliott and Cooper), but for they are having a ridiculous red zone crisis that they can't figure out. Both Prescott and his bad reads/bad sacks, and Garrett/Linehan not being able to figure out what works.

If they could even get average red zone production they'd be 8 points better per game I bet. And then we wouldn't be saying how their plan is to play low scoring games. It's not their plan. Their plan should be generating an average-to-above-average offense with a dominant defense, which would be a legit playoff team. Redzone woes are sinking the plan right now.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

Why settle for great defense when you can be great in all three phases? AND have great coaching and personnel decisions too.

Weve seen Jimmy Johnson create a team so dominant that a castoff puppet came in and still led it to a Superbowl victory.

So when Dak plays or Jason Garrett coaches or Jerry GMs like crap I’m going to point it out.

But as a Cowboys fan who’s seen all time greats dominate in two separate decades I’m never going to be satisfied with a team that settles for old school, crippled Bill Parcells philosophies.

Jimmy Johnson also had the advantage numerous draft picks to build a very good football team. Without the Hershel Walker trade history might have had a different version of the 90 Cowboys.

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
Intelligent fans know what's up. Our defense is one of the absolute best and borders on elite. But there's only so much they can do to continue pulling Dak out of the fire. I still believe that a top defense gives you the opportunity to win championships. But if we can't score with any consistency (particularly in the red zone) we're going to crash and burn. Namely against teams like NO or LA

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Jimmy Johnson also had the advantage numerous draft picks to build a very good football team. Without the Hershel Walker trade history might have had a different version of the 90 Cowboys.
No doubt about it LT, but the Pats and to a lesser degree the Steelers prove sustained success in between moments of greatness are still possible.

That’s what I want.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
Our defense is one of the absolute best and borders on elite.
I don't think this still holds, I think they ate the cheese after that NO win. The game against the eagles they folded at the end like the D's of seasons past, the Colts did as they pleased and TB was right at their averages. They are a pretty good D that has had some stellar moments, but they're a bit overhyped because of that NO game.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
No doubt about it LT, but the Pats and to a lesser degree the Steelers prove sustained success in between moments of greatness are still possible.

That’s what I want.
If only we could have Tom Brady and the shitty AFC East. Well and an elite head coach.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

It's not possible to build rosters like what you saw with the 70s Steelers/80s 49ers/90s Cowboys over the long run anymore. With how free agency and the salary cap is structured the best you can hope for is a dominant 3ish year window where you have all the pieces in place before some players inevitably get picked off.

The Patriots are a fluke with arguably the GOAT HC and QB, they've sustained success despite having average parts elsewhere for years because of how mediocre the competition is around the league. Their skill position talent and defense fluctuates but Belichick/Brady have maintained their greatness over the years.

The Steelers have had a relatively long run of success but over the last 8 years they've been to one conference championship and are on the verge of missing the playoffs for a 3rd time over that span, nearly every other season.

They had a 6 year run that included 2 SB wins and another SB appearance but those teams were not dominant up and down the roster. They were actually pretty similar to what we have now, except better. Elite defense, ball control offense with a game manager QB who you hope makes a few plays a game. They were not elite up and down the roster like the 80s 49ers or 90s Cowboys.

Those types of teams aren't coming back, at least not for more than a 2-3 or so year window when everything falls into place with elite players on rookie/cheap deals before their salary inflates. With the NFL how it is now you have to pick and choose your spots and strategically spend money in the right places while going cheap at others.

Top Bottom