Jerry waxes poetic about his team's post-season legacy -- "were a post-season team"

p1_

DCC 4Life
Yeah frankly we move the ball way better then the end line indicates. We settle for way too many field goal attempts once inside the 20 yard line. Penalties, poor play calls and shitty execution by the players. I have no idea why it all goes to shit once we have driven the length of the field but it often time does. If we just got good near the goal line, which we have the tools to do in my opinion, this team could be really good. We have an elite RB, we have a mobile QB who can use his legs and misdirection to get guys open, and we have some damn good receivers in Gallup and Cooper. Yet our goal line offense looks like utter shit.
I think the red zone struggles makes more obvious our lack of a good tight end. Thats one glaring deficiency in the red zone offense.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think the red zone struggles makes more obvious our lack of a good tight end. Thats one glaring deficiency in the red zone offense.
I think that's true but it's not like Witten was some sort of a redzone demon either. I mean most years he was lucky to have 5 TD catches. But we have never been good at using TE's near the goal line.

In past years I think our dominant O-line was able to cover up for major deficiencies in goal line play calling. We could just blow people off the ball and score. We didn't really need creativity or misdirection. Unfortunately Frederick won't be back until next year. And this offensive line isn't going to reach those levels until he returns. Of course many other NFL teams are very successful in the redzone without elite offensive lines. But we don't have their offensive coordinator showing that type of ability.

Of course we also don't have Dez. And for all his deficiency between the 20 yard lines he was at least really good in the redzone. And he required defenses attentions as a result. It hurts not having a jump ball receiver like that.

Top Bottom