Is it Too Late For Dallas to Fire OC Scott Linehan

Sheik

DCC 4Life
Maybe I'm jaded to the point that I don't get as riled up anymore, or maybe it's something else, I don't know.

I just don't see the need for the uproar after a 5 game win streak gets snapped. Yeah, it was a bad showing, but everyone knew Indy needed that game more than Dallas did, they were at home, and they were fighting for their playoff lives.

It's never "okay" to get shut out, and it's probably further evidence that Garrett can't handle being a head coach that his team wasn't at least prepared to put up a fight. I just can't get behind the fire everyone mantra after winning 5 straight.

Sheik

DCC 4Life
Almost forgot, Dak is pure shit, he's not worth extending when that time comes.

Tyron Smith is finished as well. He was a beast, but it's time to start looking for his replacement. Not shitting on him, he was awesome for a long time, but the body is broken down.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Maybe I'm jaded to the point that I don't get as riled up anymore, or maybe it's something else, I don't know.

I just don't see the need for the uproar after a 5 game win streak gets snapped. Yeah, it was a bad showing, but everyone knew Indy needed that game more than Dallas did, they were at home, and they were fighting for their playoff lives.

It's never "okay" to get shut out, and it's probably further evidence that Garrett can't handle being a head coach that his team wasn't at least prepared to put up a fight. I just can't get behind the fire everyone mantra after winning 5 straight.
Agreed. And not only that, this team has repeatedly stated they were in "playoff" mode since falling to 3-5. Not shocking that they'd have a let down game as soon as "must win" was off the table. Im glad it happened with a couple games left. Hopefully they can regroup and get that fire back.

Sometimes a little humility is good for a team, especially this one.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I just can't get behind the fire everyone mantra after winning 5 straight.
I was still on the fire everyone mantra even after our 5th straight win. After all this time, it's not that hard to recognize fools gold with this staff. Richard is about the only one I'd hope would have a chance to remain.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
To be fair, Cam is a terrible fit for Norv’s style of offense. Cam isn’t exactly an accurate passer, nor has he ever been particularly adept at readjng defenses, and Norv’s offense requires that.
Right. And there seems to be more Cam Newton and Dak Prescott QBing going on in the NFL these days which is the point I was trying to make but obviously I left out much of my thought process. Lol.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Almost forgot, Dak is pure shit, he's not worth extending when that time comes.

Tyron Smith is finished as well. He was a beast, but it's time to start looking for his replacement. Not shitting on him, he was awesome for a long time, but the body is broken down.
Smith is real disappointing situation, especially given his age. He should have easily been dominant another 3-4 seasons but it’s obvious that ship has sailed.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
It absolutely requires a sharp, quick-release QB who can attack the whole field.
Exactly. A 5-step pocket passer a la Dan Fouts. But QBs coming out of college are more Cam and Dak as someone else pointed out. They changed OC's in Minnesota -- more RPO, play action, throwing on the move. Instant success.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester

Last edited by a moderator:

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Right. And there seems to be more Cam Newton and Dak Prescott QBing going on in the NFL these days which is the point I was trying to make but obviously I left out much of my thought process. Lol.
That’s because most college teams have gotten away from pro style offenses and focus more on zone read option offenses or variations of the spread so they don’t have to teach the QB how to read coverages and learn the proper mechanics of the position.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That’s because most college teams have gotten away from pro style offenses and focus more on zone read option offenses or variations of the spread so they don’t have to teach the QB how to read coverages and learn the proper mechanics of the position.
I think a lot of that has entered the NFL and that's why you're seeing scores going way up. The idea that stuff like that won't work in the NFL isn't true anymore.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
Garrett and Linehan are still stuck back in the Zampese/Coryell/Norv Turner school. Meanwhile the college game is not producing QBs in that mold. Classic drop-back passers in pro-style offenses are rare. A number of NFL teams have figured that out. Not good ol' Carrot.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I think a lot of that has entered the NFL and that's why you're seeing scores going way up. The idea that stuff like that won't work in the NFL isn't true anymore.
Depends on what you mean by work. College concepts in the NFL aren't new - wildcat for instance, or the chip Kelley stuff a few years back, or if you really want to go far back, the run and shoot.

But I can't think of one that's won anything of significance. Offenses with pro foundations like West coast and air Coryell have dominated since forever.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Depends on what you mean by work. College concepts in the NFL aren't new - wildcat for instance, or the chip Kelley stuff a few years back, or if you really want to go far back, the run and shoot.

But I can't think of one that's won anything of significance. Offenses with pro foundations like West coast and air Coryell have dominated since forever.
It's because there is no pure offenses in the NFL anymore. There is no real Coryell or West Coast offense. Teams have taken pieces from those, mixed them with read options and everything else. A lot of what Chip Kelly did is all over the NFL now. The hurry up offenses, read options, multiple motions. I mean if you watch what the Chiefs are doing it looks a lot more like a college offenses then it does West Coast for example.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
We haven't seen Garrett playcall since 2013. He's spent more of his tenure as head coach NOT calling plays now than he spent as a head coach calling plays. We don't fully know how he might call plays for this particular set of personnel; and even if we have a belief about how it might go (pass happy, is what it was called), we don't know if that might actually be a benefit for this group.

I'm kinda all for it at this point, but it's almost too late. You don't want Garrett grabbing playcalling duties to start in the wild card round. It's something you'd want a few week lead-in.

And since he hasn't announced he's doing it this week, it's kinda too late to start now.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
We haven't seen Garrett playcall since 2013. He's spent more of his tenure as head coach NOT calling plays now than he spent as a head coach calling plays. We don't fully know how he might call plays for this particular set of personnel; and even if we have a belief about how it might go (pass happy, is what it was called), we don't know if that might actually be a benefit for this group.

I'm kinda all for it at this point, but it's almost too late. You don't want Garrett grabbing playcalling duties to start in the wild card round. It's something you'd want a few week lead-in.

And since he hasn't announced he's doing it this week, it's kinda too late to start now.
You want to go back to pass happy with a question mark at QB and a stellar running game? Come on now.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
You want to go back to pass happy with a question mark at QB and a stellar running game? Come on now.
Again, we don't know how his thinking might have changed in the last 5 years and with a completely different set of personnel. Ie, no Romo and Witten, who, let's be honest, were big influences on personnel and playcalliing. Maybe too much influence.

But I am suggesting that Linehan's "run on first down all the time" strategy could stand to benefit from some pass happiness. Maybe the change up itself would be a benefit, even if the plays aren't any better, at least the defense doesn't have the book on what we would be calling on every down. It could take weeks or months for defensive coordinators to catch on.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Again, we don't know how his thinking might have changed in the last 5 years and with a completely different set of personnel. Ie, no Romo and Witten, who, let's be honest, were big influences on personnel and playcalliing. Maybe too much influence.

But I am suggesting that Linehan's "run on first down all the time" strategy could stand to benefit from some pass happiness. Maybe the change up itself would be a benefit, even if the plays aren't any better, at least the defense doesn't have the book on what we would be calling on every down. It could take weeks or months for defensive coordinators to catch on.
It would at least change up our tendencies. I have little to no faith in Garrett but I'm with you on this. It would at least make our offense less predictable because there aren't multiple years of tape on Garrett's play calling for teams to look at. They could look at tape from when Garrett was a play caller but that was so long ago that it wouldn't do much.

Plus I'm sure having Romo made Garrett a little pass happy. Romo sort of ran the show I'm sure. Dak is a different beast. He basically does what he is told to the point of it being a detriment.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
It would at least change up our tendencies. I have little to no faith in Garrett but I'm with you on this. It would at least make our offense less predictable because there aren't multiple years of tape on Garrett's play calling for teams to look at. They could look at tape from when Garrett was a play caller but that was so long ago that it wouldn't do much.

Plus I'm sure having Romo made Garrett a little pass happy. Romo sort of ran the show I'm sure. Dak is a different beast. He basically does what he is told to the point of it being a detriment.
Problem is, there are multiple years of tape on his offense which is what Linehan runs. Don't let your memory get fuzzy.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Problem is, there are multiple years of tape on his offense which is what Linehan runs. Don't let your memory get fuzzy.
Offense yes but the play calling is way different. I think it's why sometimes a change of coach will lead to a short term boost in productivity. But long term I don't think Garrett would be any good as a play caller here.

Top Bottom