Is it Too Late For Dallas to Fire OC Scott Linehan

p1_

DCC 4Life
Grab your pitchforks and your torches, it's time to run the Dallas Cowboys Offensive Coordinator Scott Linehan out of town. His playcalling has been absolutely atrocious season and it's time for him to hit the road, even if there are only two regular-season games left on the schedule.

It's completely unorthodox for an NFL team to fire an offensive coordinator this late in the season, but just last week we saw the Minnesota Vikings do just that when they parted ways with John DeFilippo. It was definitely a bold move to make considering the Vikings are still in playoff contention, but it was something they believed was in the best interest of their team.

I believe if the Dallas Cowboys want to do what's best for their team right now and not later, then they should go ahead and cut ties with Scott Linehan. His predictability and un-creativeness as a play caller is holding back a talented offense, which is hurting the overall team as a result. He's been given every opportunity to turn things around, but enough is enough.

I'd personally be on board with Jason Garrett taking over the playcalling duties. He has the experience and held the position with the Cowboys from 2007 until Linehan was hired. I'd even consider giving Kellen Moore a shot as the OC. He knows the system and has worked closely with Quarterback Dak Prescott. Regardless, the Cowboys need to find some way to increase their offensive productivity.

Dallas Cowboys QB Coach Kellen Moore

Right now the Cowboys offense is the 26th scoring offense in the NFL and are averaging just 19.7 points per game. To make matters worse they are the 31st ranked Red Zone offense in the league. I don't know about you, but I think that is completely unacceptable with the talent they have on the offensive side of the ball.

Firing Linehan has been a long time coming. The Cowboys flirted with the idea earlier this season during the bye week and should've pulled the trigger then, but for some reason or another decided to let him stick around. They are definitely still paying for that mistake now.

The Cowboys mistake not to replace Linehan could mean yet another early exit in the playoffs, something we have unfortunately become accustomed to. Scoring just 19 points a game isn't going to get them very far, which is truly unfortunate considering the talent they've acquired this season.

Unfortunately, as much as we would love to see Scott Linehan tarred and feathered and run out of town, I just don't see the Cowboys doing that before their season is officially over. But, in no way should he be allowed to retain his position beyond this season. He clearly isn't the answer any longer.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
This is how I know this writer is a moron.
I agree, but at this point I'd roll the dice and try anything...even Moore.

Linehan is really getting his ass handed to him, and if the Cowboys really want a shot at doing anything in the playoffs he needs to be replaced IMO.

UncleMilti

Staff member
What the fuck? He should be kicked out the door right alongside his deddy, Linehan. This guy is obviously brain damaged.
At the end of the season...absolutely. They both suck. Moore might be able to help design some plays that help Dak though in the interim though since he's the one looking at all the film on the sidelines with him. Its a longshot, but anything has to be better than Linehan.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
This is how I know this writer is a moron.
Moore is a pretty knowledable individual about football in general and offense specifically. His dad is a coach and he grew up with the game.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
At the end of the season...absolutely. They both suck. Moore might be able to help design some plays that help Dak though in the interim though since he's the one looking at all the film on the sidelines with him. Its a longshot, but anything has to be better than Linehan.
Fuck Moore. He never had any business being here in the first place. Laziness and nepotism is why he's where he's at. Nothing more. He doesn't deserve to even have the chance at OC, much less play caller.

As bad as Linehan has been, he's at least done it. Moore and his crayons can stay in the background until he's finally gone. Hopefully this offseason.

If Linehan is going down and being stripped of playcalling, Garrett would do it himself if he had any balls. Sink or swim. Quit passing the buck.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
If nothing else it would send a message to Carrot and the whole team. "We don't care about winning next year, we want to win this year."

Minnesota made a big change with three games left, no reason why Jerry couldn't do it with two. Shitcan Linehan, have Carrot call the plays; somebody else can do the game management. Carrot sucks at that anyway.

I agree it's time for Carrot to quit passing the buck.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Moore is a pretty knowledable individual about football in general and offense specifically. His dad is a coach and he grew up with the game.
Great. Make him the video gopher or whatever and let him work his way up. Shoehorning him into this role or any other substantive role is both dumb and arrogant.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Great. Make him the video gopher or whatever and let him work his way up. Shoehorning him into this role or any other substantive role is both dumb and arrogant.
Not advocating Moore take over as OC just that he isn’t some yahoo who happened on the scene. His background and his college performances are among the highest rated. He just isn’t physically fit for the pro ranks because of size and lack of arm strength.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Not advocating Moore take over as OC just that he isn’t some yahoo who happened on the scene. His background and his college performances are among the highest rated. He just isn’t physically fit for the pro ranks because of size and lack of arm strength.
He is some yahoo who happened on the scene.

I can't think of a single QB coach in the NFL in recent memory with his profile (mid-20's and a few years of NFL experience, mostly on practice squads, with no real playing experience). There are literally tens, if not hundreds of guys out there with the profile that you describe (highly rated college performances, and "background" as you so vaguely put it).

Nobody with his profile or experience gets the position he has, they all have to start off as quality control/intern types, and literally the only reason this fool is QB coach is because Linehan and Garrett like him and he's controllable.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
No it's not too late. The real question is who would take over the play calling? Garrett sucks but at least it would all be on his shoulder's if the offense continues to sputter. We literally know nothing about Moore and he is as green as they come. I'm just not sure who on this staff I would actually feel good about calling offensive plays. Maybe Sanjay Lal?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

I can't think of a single QB coach in the NFL in recent memory with his profile (mid-20's and a few years of NFL experience, mostly on practice squads, with no real playing experience). There are literally tens, if not hundreds of guys out there with the profile that you describe (highly rated college performances, and "background" as you so vaguely put it).

Nobody with his profile or experience gets the position he has, they all have to start off as quality control/intern types, and literally the only reason this fool is QB coach is because Linehan and Garrett like him and he's controllable.
Yeah even Sean McVay who is extremely young was an assistant in the NFL for years before becoming an offensive coordinator.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

You are entitled to you opinion.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Garrett is the only alternative, and I'd be fine with it just because it'd expose him once and for all in Jerry's blind eyes.
The sad part is Garrett sucked as an offensive coordinator. It wasn't until Linehan took over the offense that they at least started doing well. Sort of tells you how bad Garrett was at it. We need someone with at least an ounce of innovative ability. Garrett may be extremely book smart but he isn't capable of being innovative. The best he can do is try to copy what others do. And then usually it doesn't work because he is doing it with only a fraction of the thought the person who originally designed the play did. .

UncleMilti

Staff member
The sad part is Garrett sucked as an offensive coordinator. It wasn't until Linehan took over the offense that they at least started doing well. Sort of tells you how bad Garrett was at it. We need someone with at least an ounce of innovative ability. Garrett may be extremely book smart but he isn't capable of being innovative. The best he can do is try to copy what others do. And then usually it doesn't work because he is doing it with only a fraction of the thought the person who originally designed the play did. .
I'm starting to believe the whole "Norv/Ernie/Coryell" philosophy is DOA. Turner has really sucked ass with Cam Newton....the offense has struggled badly under his watch vs other teams he has run.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
I'm starting to believe the whole "Norv/Ernie/Coryell" philosophy is DOA. Turner has really sucked ass with Cam Newton....the offense has struggled badly under his watch vs other teams he has run.
To be fair, Cam is a terrible fit for Norv’s style of offense. Cam isn’t exactly an accurate passer, nor has he ever been particularly adept at readjng defenses, and Norv’s offense requires that.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I know Moore is knowledgeable and knows the offense but I don't see any miraculous resurgence if this were to happen in such a short time frame. On the flip side, I might roll the dice after a less than stellar season on offense.

In the end, something is going to have to change before long but it won't be until after the season *if* it does.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
To be fair, Cam is a terrible fit for Norv’s style of offense. Cam isn’t exactly an accurate passer, nor has he ever been particularly adept at readjng defenses, and Norv’s offense requires that.
It absolutely requires a sharp, quick-release QB who can attack the whole field.

Top Bottom