Cowboys gorging Ezekiel Elliott and it's concerning for playoffs

p1_

DCC 4Life
By Patrik Walker 60 minutes ago

"Feed Me".

Such is the mantra that's been attached to Ezekiel Elliott since before he ever slid on a Dallas Cowboys' jersey in 2016, his world-famous "feed me" gesture dating back to his days of dominance at Ohio State, where he actually borrowed it from former second-round pick and fellow Buckeye legend Carlos Hyde. It's served as a keen reminder that when he leaves the game full, rep-wise, great things happen more often than not for his team. This is something the Cowboys had to learn the hard way, routinely abandoning Elliott at strange times offensively over the course of his first 2.5 seasons in the NFL. When they did, the outcome was most often a loss, the magic number for handoffs seemingly hovering at 20 -- give or take a handoff.

The great news?

Finally committing to keeping Elliott as the motor that drives the offense helped land them a five-game win streak to resuscitate their dying season.

The concerning news??

They've been driving him at redline with reckless abandon, and it's beginning to wear on him noticeably.

You'll hear from Elliott, being the consummate All-Pro and leader he is, that he wants the ball more than he gets it even now -- which happens to be a whole lot. In reality though, that's not the wise move, especially when the Cowboys are seeing him more often signal coaches to be spelled due to fatigue. It happened early in the 23-0 loss to the Indianapolis Colts, and when he didn't need a breather, he was seen limping to the sideline to have his ailing ankle looked at by the medical staff. He'd return without incident on both of the latter occasions, displaying the type of grit it takes to be a bell cow back in the NFL, but the Cowboys need to read the traffic signs here -- as opposed to pretending they don't exist en route to possibly driving off of a cliff in the next few weeks.

Before we continue, for those in the back of the class whispering about Elliott's conditioning, it's key to note just how false and laughable that narrative is. Heading into Week 15, no running back in the NFL had more carries of 15 or more yards in 2018, or since Elliott was drafted in 2016.

Now off to detention you go.

In dissecting Elliott's workload over the past few weeks, he's seen his touches morph from justifiable to overdose, and is now on pace to set a career-most 409 on the year. For contrast, his previous high mark was 363 set during his rookie season, a difference of 46 touches from his current mark of 358 through 14 games -- which breaks down to an average of two extra games worth of work over the course of a 16-game season. To put it plainly, at this pace, Elliott will physically have played the equivalent of 18 games before the playoffs ever arrive. It's that eye-opening reality where some very real concern should start to form within the organization, because if the former rushing champ is battered and bruised before the playoffs -- will he be his same dominant self during?

Or will he instead be a physically worn down version doing his best to carry an offense that has rarely been able to help him in return?

Elliott leads the NFL in touches from scrimmage, currently 43 ahead of Todd Gurley, who lands in second place. It's 53 more than third-place Saquon Barkley, 81 more than fourth-place David Johnson and a whopping 93 more touches than fifth-place Christian McCaffrey. He's grabbed the leather 160 times in the last six games alone, including 40 touches in Week 14 against the Philadelphia Eagles, leading to him being awarded a needed rest day going into Sunday's contest in Indy -- sitting out Wednesday's practice altogether.

Hint.

Going back to the aforementioned laughable narrative regarding his supposed lack of conditioning, Elliott is producing with nearly every touch, also leading the league in rushing (1,349) and yards from scrimmage (1,892). When he gets the ball, the defensive play-call is probably "A Wing and a Prayer", because he's having his way with teams -- despite being overloaded. When you also remember he's on the field more than he touches the ball though -- blocking, running decoy routes, etc. -- you rapidly begin to get the complete picture.

He's tired, even if he isn't capable of playing like it or willing to admit it, a very real nod to his alien-like abilities and fortitude (both mentally and physically).

Let's add another wrinkle though, shall we?

There's no reason for Elliott to be on the field in a game that's utterly out of reach, as witnessed against the Colts. With the Cowboys down 20-0 and 6:57 left to play, the Colts kicked a field goal to nail the coffin shut on the Cowboys, pushing the score to 23-0. Elliott was still on the field though, and not simply as a decoy. The Cowboys handed him the ball with 5:30 remaining in the game, and again on the next play at the 5:01 marker. That's two consecutive handoffs with a four-possession deficit, but they weren't done working him after that and despite the game obviously being beyond out of reach. After forcing and recovering a fumble, the Cowboys' offense trotted back onto the field and there was Elliott, taking another handoff with 3:28 on the clock.

There's a lot to be said for coaching the team to not give up, and that's as admirable as it is justified, but ignoring every other variable and potential outcome of pushing the envelope is far from those two things. If not for an interception thrown by quarterback Dak Prescott to end the game with 3:09 remaining, you can bet Elliott would've touched the ball again, and unnecessarily.

The largest uptick in his workload has come by way of being a receiving threat, something the Cowboys ignored for far too long, embarrassingly so. Elliott reeled in 32 receptions in 2016 (we'll omit 2017 for the purposes of keeping the comparisons even keel, due to the six-game suspension) but already has 72 in 2018 on 89 targets, putting him on pace for an 89% increase over his rookie season. This is both a credit to the skill set of Elliott to take over a game in two facets, while also being a stern and disappointing glare to the receiving corps, sans Amari Cooper -- who didn't step on the field for the Cowboys until Week 9.

If the team doesn't figure out how to get others consistently involved at a rate that both keeps Elliott touching the ball more than he used to, but not to the point he's being run into the ground, they're going to have an issue if they can't clinch in Week 16 and are forced to ride him heavily for the remainder of December. With no bye week in tow, that could spell trouble for the best RB in football, and not because Elliott isn't capable -- a comedic thought in and of itself -- but because there's only so long even the most well-conditioned athlete can operate at such a pace while playing the most bruising position in professional football.

The Cowboys need to get him some needed rest before a potential playoff run, and just as important will be the need to learn when he's full during games. Feeding him often must continue to be the plan, after starving him at several points in the past, but don't force him into gastric bypass surgery.

Instead, force others besides Cooper to pull up a chair and take a bite, too.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I recall in similar circumstances in the past, the posters here were cheering on the excessive use of DeMarco Murray with a mantra that he would ask too much on his contract so run him in the ground then shuck him. The underlying factor being that it would pretty much end his effectiveness in the future anyway. Besides running backs were a dime a dozen so don’t hold back on any of them. Is it the same mind set with Elliot?

p1_

DCC 4Life
I recall in similar circumstances in the past, the posters here were cheering on the excessive use of DeMarco Murray with a mantra that he would ask too much on his contract so run him in the ground then shuck him. The underlying factor being that it would pretty much end his effectiveness in the future anyway. Besides running backs were a dime a dozen so don’t hold back on any of them. Is it the same mind set with Elliot?
Demarco was further along in his career I believe (950 carries), and had more mileage on his wheels. Zeke is 850 carries in. I also believe Zeke to be a greater talent than Murray.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Doesn’t matter. Players bodies can only takes so much before the start breaking down. Garrett has always rode a single back when there are good backups to help carry the load. It’s a stupid premise to ride someone that much when relief is sitting on the sideline. Tired athletes are more prone to injury as well and make more mistakes.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Doesn’t matter. Players bodies can only takes so much before the start breaking down. Garrett has always rode a single back when there are good backups to help carry the load. It’s a stupid premise to ride someone that much when relief is sitting on the sideline. Tired athletes are more prone to injury as well and make more mistakes.
I think the same was said of Emmitt.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Emmitt was an exception but even so the team was more balanced and Emmitt was built close to the ground and rarely took a direct hit. Elliot is a small earthquake when he makes contact.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I agree that he should be spelled more, especially late in the season when he clearly still isn't 100% and he definitely shouldn't have been out there once it was clear the Indy game was over. That's what the team gets for only carrying two RBs and one FB on the roster. I think there are a couple of RBs on the PS.

Depth is an issue damn near everywhere on the roster too though. Just another reason this team is not primed for any kind of serious playoff run, even if the division is won. Dallas would be the weakest division winner in the NFC and probably the entire league.

Rev

Staff member
Emmitt was an exception but even so the team was more balanced and Emmitt was built close to the ground and rarely took a direct hit. Elliot is a small earthquake when he makes contact.
So its been done before. Can be done again. Nobody is expecting 20 years but the guy is the one thing that moves this offense. I doubt you can stop him from wanting the ball.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
So its been done before. Can be done again. Nobody is expecting 20 years but the guy is the one thing that moves this offense. I doubt you can stop him from wanting the ball.
Of course he will want the ball . Every player worth their salt wants to play. Coaches are supposed to be smarter than players and know how to utilize personnel to keep a player from fatigue and injury to the extent they can.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
In terms of rushes per game Elliott is right around where he should be (20 per game/320 per season). The issue is two-fold; first, he's on pace for about 80 receptions because our QB is risk averse and immediately looks to check down to Elliott unless someone is wide open downfield, and two, the coaching staff doesn't look to rest him strategically.

If they beat Tampa there is no excuse for this guy getting the ball more than 5-10 times against the Giants, just to keep him in a rhythm, and in the offseason they need to find a backup in the mid rounds who can spell him for a drive or two per game.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
In terms of rushes per game Elliott is right around where he should be (20 per game/320 per season). The issue is two-fold; first, he's on pace for about 80 receptions because our QB is risk averse and immediately looks to check down to Elliott unless someone is wide open downfield, and two, the coaching staff doesn't look to rest him strategically.

If they beat Tampa there is no excuse for this guy getting the ball more than 5-10 times against the Giants, just to keep him in a rhythm, and in the offseason they need to find a backup in the mid rounds who can spell him for a drive or two per game.
I don't have any problem throwing the ball to our RB. The Saints do it all the time with Kamara. The Pats do it all the time with White. It's actually a very useful tool.

The difference is that both of those teams have 2 RBs that they use heavily. We don't. We really need a talented backup to take some of the load off of Zeke's hands. I don't think Smith is particularly good. I'm not saying we need to use a high draft pick on a guy but we need a second RB. And not just on some munchkin utility player. Someone that can actually take the load off of Zeke's shoulders some.

Rev

Staff member
Of course he will want the ball . Every player worth their salt wants to play. Coaches are supposed to be smarter than players and know how to utilize personnel to keep a player from fatigue and injury to the extent they can.
The same coaches that are on the hot seat?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
If you think Garrett is on the hot seat, then yes he is supposed to be smarter than the players. That’s questionable of course but that’s the way it is supposed to be.

Rev

Staff member
If you think Garrett is on the hot seat, then yes he is supposed to be smarter than the players. That’s questionable of course but that’s the way it is supposed to be.
Garrett or Linehan doesnt matter. If they feel they are being scrutinized are going to use what works. That means a heavy workload for Elliot.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
The difference is that both of those teams have 2 RBs that they use heavily. We don't. We really need a talented backup to take some of the load off of Zeke's hands.

Exactly. We were saying all off-season it doesn't make sense to be a run first team and yet have only one running back that's worth anything at all. Just dumb.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
This team doesn’t have a clue how to preserve Zeke or introduce a change up. We didn’t in the 1990’s either with Emmitt. Chan Gailey had to bring in Ernie Mills, Rocket, and Chris Warren. He couldn’t believe we relied so heavily on Emmitt and Irvin.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Garrett or Linehan doesnt matter. If they feel they are being scrutinized are going to use what works. That means a heavy workload for Elliot.
That’s probably correct but it doesn’t negate the obvious that he will need some time off to recoup and if there is an ankle issue it will be better to use him only as the situation dictates and keep him on the bench as much as possible. Garrett is a proponent at holding back starters with his philosophy of keeping them out of training camp work and pre season absence. Maybe he will take this same approach if the team can cinch the Division this weekend.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I say bring Darius Jackson up.

Top Bottom