Dak Prescott changed Amari Cooper’s route on his 75-yard touchdown against the Eagles

lostxn

DCC 4Life
[h=1]Dak Prescott changed Amari Cooper’s route on his 75-yard touchdown against the Eagles
By RJ Ochoa@rjochoa Dec 9, 2018, 9:00pm CST
Dak Prescott and Amari Cooper are developing the chemistry that is needed.[/h]
Matthew Emmons-USA TODAY Sports
On Sunday evening the Dallas Cowboys vanquished the Philadelphia Eagles and it was glorious in so many different ways.

The star of the game was undoubtedly wide receiver Amari Cooper. Eclipsing 200 yards, catching three touchdowns (including the game-winner), and making play after play will kind of have that effect.

One of the more incredible plays that Cooper had against Philadelphia was his 75-yard touchdown. The Cowboys were in need of a scoring drive and Cooper made that quite easy. After the game he discussed the play and how it actually only happened thanks to Dak Prescott.
It’s interesting because I actually had another stop route on that play and they were, if you were watching, really sitting on those stop routes. And I was like, this is ridiculous. So when I broke the huddle I was kind of mad and I was like, Dak come on. And he was just like, just run it bro. And I guess he thought about it again and he kind of signaled a go route and I was elated when he did that. And I took off, caught the ball, and scored.​
Cooper was pressed about what kind of signal this was and he said it was a hand signal (he also jokingly said they’d now have to change it). It’s really great to see that Dak Prescott took control of the moment and trusted his receiver’s instincts, but it raises questions about Scott Linehan’s play-calling.

This touchdown came in the fourth quarter. It’s not like Cooper is expressing sentiments from the game’s first possession where things were still unknown (or at least more unknown). What would have happened had Dak Prescott not use his authority to adjust the route?

Thankfully we didn’t have to watch that play out but in an alternate timeline many BTBers are arguing about how Cooper should have indeed run a go. Again, give both Dak and Amari credit for the recognition, adjustment, and execution, but what about Scott?

This question keeps coming up.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Hardly surprising at all. Defense is sitting on something and these coaches continue to do it anyway. It would take a fucking Festivus Miracle to win a championship with these offensive coaches.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Yep, the offense gets to be way too predictable and the players are certainly more sick of it than the fans watching from a distance.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm just glad that Dak and Cooper are finally realizing they can just go out there and change the routes. Their cohesiveness is getting really impressive. Watching the Romo thing on NFL Network you can tell that he was never afraid to do that. On that Jesse Holley TD Romo straight up said he changed the play because he had injured ribs and just wanted the thing over. It's what Dak needs to do. When he sees the DBs jumping the come back routes him and Cooper just need to come together and decide to say screw the play calls.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Raiders just fired their GM. LOL. Wonder if Amari going off had anything to do with hit. Timing suspicious as the Raiders won yesterday.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
Makes one wonder whether Dak's stunted development might have something to do with Linehan's Wonder Bread offense.

An unimaginative offense would have nothing to do with Dak's overthrowing wide open WRs, however, unless he's so unused to seeing a wide open WR in Linehan's offense that he can't process the picture.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Makes one wonder whether Dak's stunted development might have something to do with Linehan's Wonder Bread offense.

An unimaginative offense would have nothing to do with Dak's overthrowing wide open WRs, however, unless he's so unused to seeing a wide open WR in Linehan's offense that he can't process the picture.
I think it's a combination of the offense and not having a WR like Cooper on the roster. It usually take a full off season for a WR and QB to develop this type of chemistry. The impact that Cooper has had on this offense is off the charts. And it's crazy to think it has happened this quickly. Wait until those two build up a really good connection. Dak is at minimum starting to look more and more like his rookie form. I'd actually say since Cooper has gotten here Dak has looked a lot more like the QB we saw his rookie year. His completion percentage, ypa and passing yards are climbing drastically. I pointed this out in another thread but since Cooper has come on board Daks completion percentage on the season is even higher than he had his rookie year. It's starting to look less and less like that season was just an aberration and more like something he can realistically get back to.

Of course the sacks and fumbled need to come back down. But this offensive line is nowhere close to the one we fielded in 2014 and 2016. Injuries have really decimated that group.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Romo improvised. Dak improvised. See a problem?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Raiders just fired their GM. LOL. Wonder if Amari going off had anything to do with hit. Timing suspicious as the Raiders won yesterday.
Not really. McKenzie has been a dead man walking since he was completely at odds with Gruden's vision.

And the scuttlebutt is that it was Mark Davis who traded both Cooper and Mack away since he was pissed off at their shared agent Joel Segal.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
My puzzlement about all this is it seems as though the verticle passing game only shows up in the 4th quarter. Is this because of the desperation and stress Daks feels and he just Lets go or is it because the coaching staff puts a muzzle on it until they feel they have to take a chance on it or lose the game. Whatever the reason the connection needs to be honed because it is how to get in the end zone effectively.

Dallas can’t seem to run the ball and convert a TD.so why wouldn’t they call on the passing combo in the game more because it’s all that is working now and why wouldn’t they use it early in the game as well. Garrett or Dak, which is it?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
My puzzlement about all this is it seems as though the verticle passing game only shows up in the 4th quarter. Is this because of the desperation and stress Daks feels and he just Lets go or is it because the coaching staff puts a muzzle on it until they feel they have to take a chance on it or lose the game. Whatever the reason the connection needs to be honed because it is how to get in the end zone effectively.

Dallas can’t seem to run the ball and convert a TD.so why wouldn’t they call on the passing combo in the game more because it’s all that is working now and why wouldn’t they use it early in the game as well. Garrett or Dak, which is it?
Considering the vertical passes were improvisation by Dak and Cooper I'd say it isn't the coaching staff doing it at all.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Considering the vertical passes were improvisation by Dak and Cooper I'd say it isn't the coaching staff doing it at all.
They weren't ALL improv. That one was.

Apparently Garrett told Linehan to throw deep more against the Eagles.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Dak's stats in 7 games pre-Cooper
62.1% completion, 202 yards/game, 6.9 avg/attempt, 8-4 TD to pick, 87.4 QB rating

Dak's stats in 6 games post-Cooper
74.1% completion, 212 yards/game, 8.1 avg/attempt, 9-3 TD to pick, 105.7 QB rating

Wowsa...I need to update my sig.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate

I think it’s a combination of both. Quincy’s inability to diagnose the play quickly coupled with him being terribly inaccurate likely influences Linehan’s already overly conservative and shitty playcalling. It creates the perfect downward spiral.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Given time and game reps every QB learns to improvise with his WRs. This is basic shat in pro football for fuck’s sakes.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
I think it’s a combination of both. Quincy’s inability to diagnose the play quickly coupled with him being terribly inaccurate likely influences Linehan’s already overly conservative and shitty playcalling. It creates the perfect downward spiral.
Yeah that Quincy BS needs to go away. It doesn't fit at all.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
It's f'ing stupid. They aren't even in the same category.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Don’t care. Until his pocket awareness improves to one greater than a slug, that’s what I’m going to call him. Bring on the hate.

Top Bottom