Week 14 Game Day Chatter | Eagles @ Cowboys | 12-09-2018

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Cowboyrsrock: "Romo and Dak are similar in that they each had 8 fumbles their third year."

Me: "I know for a fact Dak has 12 fumbles. 12 is not 8, 12 is way more than 8. Also Dak has 3 more games to play. Also, Romo is superior to Dak as a QB in just about every other way, and most people realize that."

Cowboysrock: "HoooO! Jokes on you! Romo actually had 13 fumbles and 8 fumbles lost! I said fumbles, but I actually meant fumbles lost! Sucker! Get your facts straight!"

Me: "Uh, ok. Well, you cited the wrong stats. But sure, 13 is close to 12, yes, so in that sense they are similar. However Dak still has 3 games to play and Romo is still better in just about every other regard."

Cowboysrock: "Nu-uh! You swore Dak had more fumbles."

Me: "No. I said Dak did not have 8, I said he had 12. I also said 12 is more than 8, which is true. You incorrectly reported that Romo had 8 fumbles (like you also reported incorrectly that Dak had 8 fumbles). Obviously I would agree that 13 FUMBLES (not fumbles lost) is similar to 12 fumbles (not fumbles lost).

Rev: ~flair gif~
You missed a poster in there that I actually quoted but I got a chuckle out of it.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I don't.... but he almost has to be. He's like fourth all time in rushing yards. He's only like 500 yards behind Barry Sanders, and he's got 700 yards this year at a 4.7 ypc. Why couldn't he come back and do that again next year? :lol He'll be third all time behind Emmitt and Payton.

He just churns out 1100 yard season after 1100 yard season.

Amazing a guy like that could be so consistently good yet never really one of the best 3-4 backs in the league, and never really of any relevance to the overall NFL story of the times.

He just has an amazing shelf life, and he's never been a guy who has avoided contact or anything. That's the type of longevity you pray Ezekiel Elliott can approach.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Amazing a guy like that could be so consistently good yet never really one of the best 3-4 backs in the league, and never really of any relevance to the overall NFL story of the times.
That's why I don't think he really belongs... like I don't think Art Monk did. But you're right, on that career number alone he'll probably make it.

shane

DCC 4Life
Interesting comparison. Wilson was handing the ball to Marshawn Lynch a lot and they had a killer defense.
Wilson made a leap from being a really smart bus driver QB who could make some plays to an all world HOF style guy around that time.

Obviously Prescott is no Wilson but I still think he can make serious strides. Hopefully he is focused on self improvement because he won't be getting much help from this coaching staff.

shane

DCC 4Life
That's why I don't think he really belongs... like I don't think Art Monk did. But you're right, on that career number alone he'll probably make it.
The workhouse back is underrated, so I wouldn't mind seeing Gore in the HOF.

data

Forbes #1
I don't.... but he almost has to be. He's like fourth all time in rushing yards. He's only like 500 yards behind Barry Sanders, and he's got 700 yards this year at a 4.7 ypc. Why couldn't he come back and do that again next year? :lol He'll be third all time behind Emmitt and Payton.

He just churns out 1100 yard season after 1100 yard season.

He just has an amazing shelf life, and he's never been a guy who has avoided contact or anything. That's the type of longevity you pray Ezekiel Elliott can approach.
Completely unrelated to Gore's ability/control, if Crabtree catches Kaepernick's Super Bowl pass, suddenly Gore's a shoe-in HOFer.

On the other hand, Jerome Bettis' Super Bowl win 'solidified' his HOF resume, yet he was a backup to Willie Parker that year.

Sometimes there's over-analysis and putting the cart in front of the horse.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
i stand by my statement, which is obviously my original intent, that as QBs overall, they are not at all comparable at this point in their careers. Romo is significantly better.
Dude I spent 30 minutes formatting that fucking chart which pretty much proves the exact opposite. Dak had a a higher QB rating, better completion percentage, FAR less turnovers, obviously is a rushing threat and makes up for less passing TDs with more rushing TDs. So no, Dak is actually somewhat better at this stage. This kind of surprises me too...

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dude I spent 30 minutes formatting that fucking chart which pretty much proves the exact opposite. Dak had a a higher QB rating, better completion percentage, FAR less turnovers, obviously is a rushing threat and makes up for less passing TDs with more rushing TDs. So no, Dak is actually somewhat better at this stage. This kind of surprises me too...
Facts will never get in the way of a good schmitty always being right argument.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Stats should not be the basis of any reasonable comparison. Back in the day Ken O’Brien used to get pay bonuses based on his QB rating, so he’d take sacks specifically to avoid an incompletion.

Going by his rating he was better than most QBs, but in reality he sucked and would never take risks. Tony Romo could carry the team through tough stretches. Dak can’t.

Dak’s biggest advantages are his mobility and durability.

He’s Mark Rypien II

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
:lol

I thought you might like that.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Stats should not be the basis of any reasonable comparison. Back in the day Ken O’Brien used to get pay bonuses based on his QB rating, so he’d take sacks specifically to avoid an incompletion.

Going by his rating he was better than most QBs, but in reality he sucked and would never take risks. Tony Romo could carry the team through tough stretches. Dak can’t.

Dak’s biggest advantages are his mobility and durability.

He’s Mark Rypien II
Didn't Mark Rypien win a Super Bowl? He was MVP as a matter of fact. I'll take that.

We use stats as it's the easiest thing to compare QBs. Supporting cast is a huge component that stats ignore but what can you do?

Here's a stat that is ultimately the most important, Dak is 30-15 (16 if you include playoffs) as a starter. That is remarkable.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Didn't Mark Rypien win a Super Bowl? He was MVP as a matter of fact. I'll take that.

We use stats as it's the easiest thing to compare QBs. Supporting cast is a huge component that stats ignore but what can you do?

Here's a stat that is ultimately the most important, Dak is 30-15 (16 if you include playoffs) as a starter. That is remarkable.
All I know is any time we have been without Dak and Romo over the last decade this team has been a horrific disaster. This concept that this team is just uber talented and a shitty QB can win games because of it is silly. I'm glad Dak has stayed upright since becoming the starter but I think it has caused people to forget how bad and ugly this team would look with a different QB in there.

kidd

DCC 4Life
All I know is any time we have been without Dak and Romo over the last decade this team has been a horrific disaster. This concept that this team is just uber talented and a shitty QB can win games because of it is silly. I'm glad Dak has stayed upright since becoming the starter but I think it has caused people to forget how bad and ugly this team would look with a different QB in there.
That would depend on the different QB.

Rush? Maybe.

Someone a little more consistent like an Alex Smith? Well that's another conversation.

I don't need stats to tell me that Dak was the main reason that game was as close as it was.

Top Bottom