Stephen: It's My Family's Fault Romo Doesn't Have A Ring

kidd

DCC 4Life
Published: Nov. 12, 2014 at 02:57 p.m.
Updated: Nov. 12, 2014 at 03:09 p.m.
Jones: It's my family's fault Romo doesn't have a ring

Marc Sessler
Around the NFL Writer
Tony Romo has long reigned as one of the NFL's most polarizing performers.

Arguably a top-10 quarterback for the last decade, the Cowboys passer is still seen by many as the player who can't tug Dallas into the Super Bowl.

His boss says the critics are blaming the wrong guy.

"You know, certainly that doesn't sit in Tony's lap," Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones told KRLD-FM on Wednesday, via Fox Sports Southwest.

"That sits in our lap: (owner) Jerry (Jones) and our family's lap in terms of the organization. We have to, you know, do better at putting people around (Romo)."

It's a fair self-critique from an organization that for years overpaid aging players and failed to build depth. The Jones clan, though, deserves credit for quietly constructing one of the league's top offensive lines to bolster a cast of playmakers on offense that has the Cowboys sitting pretty at 7-3.

Finally manning a balanced offense that doesn't ask him to do it alone, Romo confronts his finest chance yet to torch the tired narrative that he's has been saddled with for years.

The latest Around The NFL Podcast recaps every Week 10 game from an action-packed Sunday. Find more Around The NFL content on NFL NOW.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Yep. Pretty much. Poor team building and incompetent coaching have had a lot more to do with the team's failures than the QB that's been keeping the team out of the cellar without pass blocking, a running game, or a defense.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
At least he admits it. Maybe he can carry that mantra forward after Daddeh finally keels over.

kidd

DCC 4Life
Yep. Pretty much. Poor team building and incompetent coaching have had a lot more to do with the team's failures than the QB that's been keeping the team out of the cellar without pass blocking, a running game, or a defense.
No way man!

Romo wore his hat backwards and stuff!

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
There may be hope yet after Jerry takes a dirt nap.

kidd

DCC 4Life
We can only hope.

I must admit that Stephen makes more sense when he speaks than deddah. He also seems to have a better grasp on the salary cap.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Jones would get a solid ~Berman head bow~ from me when he kicks the bucket.

But I think he will find a way to keep himself alive with his head pickled in a jar Futurama style before that ever happens.

UncleMilti

Staff member
Jerry will be frozen. He'll never go away.
Kinda like Walt Disney. Rumor has it he still dresses up as Pluto or Mickey, or the janitor...can't really remember.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I'm not so sure. He does think this is the best coaching staff Dallas has had since Landry.

data

Forbes #1
Kinda like Walt Disney. Rumor has it he still dresses up as Pluto or Mickey, or the janitor...can't really remember.
Jerry's been dead for 10 years, but he's got such a big ego, he dresses up as himself.

UncleMilti

Staff member

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Thing is, the NFC is wideopen this season. It's amazing, it's a huge stroke of luck, that they just so happened to coalesce at an opportune moment when there is no dominant team. They aren't great, but no one else is either.

The Cowboys are a team capable of contending for the super bowl if they are relatively healthy and get the right coaching.

And doing that would basically prove Stephen right, and change the perception of Romo.

Top Bottom