PFT: Cowboys have offered Dez Bryant some “really nice contracts”

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys have offered Dez Bryant some “really nice contracts”

Posted by Josh Alper on November 12, 2014, 5:52 AM EST

Wide receiver Dez Bryant’s impending free agency has moved from a background story to something bigger in the last couple of weeks as a change in agents for Bryant and a report about the Cowboys’ concerns about his off-field activities have combined to bring the issue front and center.

As with just about any such issue involving the Cowboys, owner Jerry Jones has decided to share some thoughts on the matter. Jones didn’t directly address the report from Ian Rapoport of NFL Media that the Cowboys are concerned because the police have been to Bryant’s home six times in the last four years or that they’ve offered him a 10-year, $114 million contract with only $20 million in guaranteed money, but he did say he wants Bryant to stay in Dallas.

“What we want to do is have an agreement for the rest of Dez’s career,” Jones said, via the Dallas Morning News. “To me, that says a lot about the concern about off-the-field [issues] if we want him on the Dallas Cowboys for the rest of his career. I’m real impressed with how he’s evolved over the last several years, or we wouldn’t be in serious contract negotiations with him. So I think all of that is where it really is, and I do look for us to get something done with Dez.”

The issue isn’t whether the Cowboys want to keep Bryant, of course. The issue is whether they are trying to get Bryant to agree to a deal that’s heavily slanted in the team’s favor. Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones said the team has offered Bryant some “really nice contracts,” although what’s “really nice” to the team may not be greeted in the same way by the player.

Jerry Jones said he’s willing to “spend all the money,” but that it has to fit in a way that allows the team to remain competitive. There are a lot of ways to make that happen and the months to come will reveal which route they wind up taking in Dallas.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
As much as I like Bryant there is a limit to how much an organization can pay anyone without crippling their entire franchise financially. That number will have to be established and adhered to and let the chips fall where they will.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
10/114 is more than fair for a guy who can be easily erased by mediocre CBs from time to time. Upping the guarantee would be fair.

Jwooten15

Brand New Member
Jerry may crack and spend way too much on Dez, but I really like the shift that we have been seeing in the last year + when it comes to handing out contracts.

Ever since Romo, they have not let the player (or Jerry) dictate the terms of the contract.. They are offering team-friendly deals, and allowing the player then to take it or leave it.

Should have happened a long time ago, but it seems that the organization (financially, at least), is heading in the right direction.

Jwooten15

Brand New Member
Dez is a top-5 talent at his position, no doubt. But I would not pay him any more than the $20million guaranteed.

There are too many holes to fill on the defensive side of the ball, so they cannot afford to guarantee another $40-$50million to a player who has lapses in production the way Dez does.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Give him 25 million guaranteed and that's it.

Carp

DCC 4Life
If I am Dez I tell Jerry to go fuck himself for only 25 mil guaranteed.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
The thing is that it is 25 mil guaranteed over 10 years...meanwhile, a guy like Mike Wallace gets 30 mil guaranteed for a 6 year deal.
I actually think 10/114 40 guaranteed is fair for both sides.

However, I get the feeling that Dez isn't looking for fair. He's looking to break the cap.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
10/114 is more than fair for a guy who can be easily erased by mediocre CBs from time to time. Upping the guarantee would be fair.
This happens to everyone. I watched AJ Green struggle pathetically the other night against the Browns no matter who they put on him, whether it was Haden or not.

The strong arms of Antonio Brown, TY Hilton, and Jordy Nelson's QBs are making the most difference right now, but I'd hesitate to say those three hands down were the best WR's in the league.

I watch Vincent Jackson play and there are times I think there is no reason he should ever be stopped, but it happens and happened even with Rivers at QB.

Cotton

Staff member
There is way too much talk from Bryant to the media about his contract. I'm afraid it's going to become a distraction the more he is involved with the media about it. He should just tell them that it's being handled and walk off.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I think he's done a good job of getting his image right with the assistance of the team, but now he's about to bite the hand that fed him.

Cotton

Staff member
I think he's done a good job of getting his image right with the assistance of the team, but now he's about to bite the hand that fed him.
He needs to just shut up and let his agent talk behind closed doors for him. It's dumb to take this nonsense to the media. Hopefully he does just that sooner rather than later.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
I actually think 10/114 40 guaranteed is fair for both sides.

However, I get the feeling that Dez isn't looking for fair. He's looking to break the cap.
I bet it winds up close to this. Within 5 mil either way.

Top Bottom