Archer: A captain, Jeremy Mincey gets sack vs. former team

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
A captain, Jeremy Mincey gets sack vs. former team
November, 10, 2014

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

LONDON -- Dallas Cowboys defensive end Jeremy Mincey spent parts of eight years with the Jacksonville Jaguars and it did not end well.

He had been looking forward to meeting his former team for quite some time. He was pleased with the 31-17 win and pleased with the fact that he was able to come up with a sack.

To start the game, Mincey was named one of the Cowboys’ defensive captains by coach Jason Garrett with another former Jaguar, linebacker Justin Durant, on the sideline in a cumbersome brace because of surgery to repair a torn biceps.

“Coach Garrett told me before the game that, ‘I want you to go out there and represent us,’” Mincey said, “and I just did it. ... It definitely meant a lot, but the guys I lined up in front of, I didn’t know any of them because the team is so new. They got a bunch of free agents.”

Mincey’s 8-yard sack -- his second of the season -- in the second quarter came on third down and was followed by a five-play, 65-yard drive that ended in a 35-yard touchdown pass to Dez Bryant to give the Cowboys a 17-7 lead.

He was credited with one tackle, a tackle for loss and a quarterback hurry.

“It was a great feeling,” Mincey said. “I wanted to leave the game statistically with something. I didn’t want the team to shut me out basically.”

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Wasn't that a half sack between him and Melton?

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Mincey has been good all year. Wish we had a true RDE so we could move him to the left side.

Lawrence and Spencer have been rotational filler thus far. If we could get a real rush from them it would be huge, especially with our terrible cornerbacks outside of Scandrick.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Mincey has been good all year. Wish we had a true RDE so we could move him to the left side.

Lawrence and Spencer have been rotational filler thus far. If we could get a real rush from them it would be huge, especially with our terrible cornerbacks outside of Scandrick.
If I was Marinelli, I'd try to throw a 5-DL set out there on third down once in a while with Spencer, Lawrence, McClain (since Crawford is hurt), Melton, and Lawrence (against a 4 or 5 wide set). We don't have the talent to do it more than a few times, but it would be interesting to see if the other team's OL can block everybody 1-on-1.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
If I was Marinelli, I'd try to throw a 5-DL set out there on third down once in a while with Spencer, Lawrence, McClain (since Crawford is hurt), Melton, and Lawrence (against a 4 or 5 wide set). We don't have the talent to do it more than a few times, but it would be interesting to see if the other team's OL can block everybody 1-on-1.
A good QB finds a mismatch quickly since 5 DL are hard to disguise.

Dallas tried 6 DL sets vs Detroit in the 1991 playoffs and they stopped Barry Sanders (until garbage time) but Eric Kramer ripped them up with short-intermediate passes.

Now if you have dynamic athletes I could see some zone blitzes from 5DL.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
A good QB finds a mismatch quickly since 5 DL are hard to disguise.

Dallas tried 6 DL sets vs Detroit in the 1991 playoffs and they stopped Barry Sanders (until garbage time) but Eric Kramer ripped them up with short-intermediate passes.

Now if you have dynamic athletes I could see some zone blitzes from 5DL.
The only thing you have to do to stop the quick pass on 3rd and 10 is tackle well. In other situations or against sets that allowed for max-protect I wouldn't risk it.

Top Bottom