LOL @ the Redskins

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Jesus Christ, man.

Go fishing or something.
I didn't bring my fishing gear. We are currently just hanging in the camper about to eat lunch.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Radio station bans Dexter Manley for slurring Troy Aikman

Posted by Michael David Smith on October 28, 2013, 12:33 PM EDT

Former Washington defensive end Dexter Manley won’t be welcome back on D.C. radio station WTOP after he directed a gay slur toward former Cowboys quarterback Troy Aikman on the air today.

According to Dan Steinberg of the Washington Post, Manley appeared on WTOP this morning and was asked about listening to Aikman handle the color commentary on Sunday’s Washington-Denver game. Manley answered by slurring Aikman.

“I think Troy was a queer,” Manley said.

When the WTOP hosts told Manley they didn’t think that was appropriate, Manley initially said he wouldn’t apologize but then backed down.

“I’m sorry about that,” Manley said. “I take that back. . . . I apologize.”

It’s good that Manley apologized, but WTOP Vice President of News and Programming Jim Farley wrote on Twitter that Manley’s apology after the fact was not enough.

“We were shocked and stunned when he said it. Needless to say he will not be back on WTOP,” Farley wrote.

Manley has been making regular appearances on WTOP this season but will do so no longer.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
We need a .gif of BobIII getting laid out on that 4th Q throw.

What a beauty.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
So an illiterate cokehead who was dumb enough to be kicked out of the league following his 4th failed drug test wants to criticize Aikman?

Carp

DCC 4Life
Not sure why Haynesworth is being brought up now so much by the Redskins...that was a while back, but I guess it takes some attention away from their poor play.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Not sure why Haynesworth is being brought up now so much by the Redskins...that was a while back, but I guess it takes some attention away from their poor play.
Haynesworth started it and they didn't know better than to ignore him.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Robert Griffin III isn’t getting better; does he realize he needs to?

By Sally Jenkins,

Robert Griffin III used to be his team’s most uplifting player, but he is becoming a weight, maybe even a burden. Where is that fresh kid with the unbeatable combination of modesty and limitlessness? In his place is a player who’s coming off as an unteachable know-it-all. The guy has played just 22 regular season games, and into that time he has packed a few random stabs at semi-greatness, followed by a lot of unseemly power machinations, and drivel about being a leader, without yet mastering his craft.

A second-year quarterback with the owner on speed dial is calling all the shots for the Washington football club, and what they’ve got to show for it is a 2-5 mark, and a strong whiff of locker room discontent. This is a team with many problems, of which Griffin is only one — defense, special teams, coaching, chemistry, all of it is to blame. But there is no looking away from the fact Griffin’s poor play has been critical, and more than that, he has created fundamental tension on an offense that is disjointed from catering to him and his operatic personal demands about how he wants to play.

“I don’t get the sense that they all agree on what he should be doing or shouldn’t be doing in that offense,” former NFL quarterback turned ESPN analyst Tim Hasselbeck said. “I don’t know how else to say it. It doesn’t seem like they’re on the same page with that stuff.”

Griffin is to a certain extent the victim of inflated expectations, but that’s his own fault: He has never tempered them, or seemed to understand how much he had left to learn after his extraordinary rookie year. He insisted in the offseason he wanted the club to alter its use of him and make him a pocket passer. But Hasselbeck observed that when you examine his numbers from last season more closely, minus the flare of charisma, what you saw were some very ordinary figures when it came to that skill: “Robert had played one season, and in half of his starts he threw for under 210 yards.”

The fact is, Griffin remains a highly unfinished player. His progress as decision-maker did not keep pace with his body. It was a great feat when he recovered from offseason knee surgery in record time, and some of his struggles this season can be blamed on that setback, which affected his accuracy and deprived him of valuable offseason work. But some of what’s plaguing him now is not physical, but a basic lack of development. That was apparent after a loss to the Cowboys on Oct. 13.

“I’m just really focusing on being the playmaker that I know I can be and not letting anybody else tell me how to play this game,” he said.

A second-year guy doesn’t want anyone telling him how to play this game? It’s the statement of someone who has perhaps not been as open to learning as he should have been. According to Hasselbeck, one problem with this Redskins offense is that Griffin doesn’t seem to have graduated to the next level of decision-making. He is not scanning the field and responding to defenses.

“They don’t have him at the line of scrimmage adjusting protections,” Hasselback observed.

Think about it: How many times have you seen Griffin change the shape of the formation at the line, get out of one play and into another one with the clock ticking? How many times have you seen him recognize something and make a shift? Not often. It’s hard to say how much of that is by design — if the team simply hasn’t installed many packages, or Kyle Shanahan is inflexible — or how much is a result of Griffin’s tendency, as Chris Cooley noted earlier this week, to predetermine and to lock in.

Nobody expected Griffin, in his second season, to look like Peyton Manning. But his lack of discernment is striking compared to, say, his peers Andrew Luck or Russell Wilson.

“There are quarterbacks his age that are doing a lot more at the line than he is,” Hasselbeck said. ”When you watch the Indianapolis Colts, they aren’t just calling a play in the huddle and getting to the line and running it regardless of what the look is. They don’t operate that way, and offenses like the Patriots and Saints and Broncos don’t either. Look at a team like Seattle. They will be in a third-down situation with an overload blitz, and Russell Wilson is directing the offensive line, telling them to slide, and sending a back to the other side to pick up the blitz.”

Pierre Garcon called it like he saw it when he said, “Our passing game sucks.” You can debate all you want whether Garcon should have uttered such a thing aloud, but the man knows what an efficient passing offense operates like after playing alongside the mechanistic excellence of Manning for four years with the Colts.

Garcon’s remark came perilously close to dissension, and you wonder if it’s because the offensive design has been compromised by attempts to please Griffin’s dictates about how he wants to play. Or if he is perhaps beginning to chafe on his elders. He created this power play, but likes to disappear behind a smoothly cultured facade and leaderly sounding platitudes, which, if you analyze them, really mean, “I’m in charge here.”

Listen carefully: “I make sure no one becomes a cancer on the team,” Griffin said earlier this week when asked how he was dealing with failure. “Your job as a quarterback is to know how to manage people. I feel I’ve done a good job of that my whole career.”

There are more than a couple problems with the above statement, starting with the fact it is utterly lacking in self-deprecation. Second, you’re a sophomore in the NFL. What career? You haven’t had one yet. Come back and talk to us when you’ve played 50 games. Or even 25.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
This is the problem with failing to recognize a gimmick.

Now everyone, Griffin included, thinks he's awesomely talented and the questions come out in spades when things don't work his sophomore year. Well, the reason he looked good his first year was due to a surprise approach by Shanahan and now that the league has caught up, Griffin is simply not good enough as a QB (yet?) to beat defenses.

He's got a lot of tools so maybe some day he will be, but right now is not that day. The better approach would have been to thrust Griffin into a pro style offense immediately and let the team take the growing pains (and the high draft picks) that come with it, and Griffin would be a better QB when he learned his place.

Of course on those merits, he would never have merited selection as the 2nd overall pick either.

Last edited:

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
That nonsense never fooled me.

I knew last year that his low passing numbers and low yardage along with that run option shit were clear indicators that he was getting by on gimmicks.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate

Now everyone, Griffin included, thinks he's awesomely talented and the questions come out in spades when things don't work his sophomore year. Well, the reason he looked good his first year was due to a surprise approach by Shanahan and now that the league has caught up, Griffin is simply not good enough as a QB (yet?) to beat defenses.

He's got a lot of tools so maybe some day he will be, but right now is not that day. The better approach would have been to thrust Griffin into a pro style offense immediately and let the team take the growing pains (and the high draft picks) that come with it, and Griffin would be a better QB when he learned his place.

Of course on those merits, he would never have merited selection as the 2nd overall pick either.
The 49ers are struggling for the same reason. Kaepernick can't read coverages and struggles as a passer. This will continue to get worse until he learns how to read and diagnose coverages.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

That's the problem with using the Read Option as a crutch for these young QBs. I think it slows their long term development. It sounds great to make reads simple and easy for a QB but that won't work long term in the NFL. You need a QB who can go through multiple progressions and do it quickly.

D

Deuce

The key is to continue to develop them during their rookie year so they can transition into a solid QB. Cam doesn't run the read option near as much as he did his rookie year, but once they transitioned into a variation of the WCO with him he's been impressive.

UncleMilti

Staff member
Members
3,070 posts

Posted Today, 11:38 PM

You know what pisses me off ... and you cannot blame the refs for the loss but big no calls throughout the game - i did not realise how many no calls until I see the vikings 1 penalty 7 yards ... the PI on Reed alone should have stopped the clock and put the ball on the 1 - for **** sake ... the defense cost us this one but the refs ****ing helped them ...

:dunce

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Members
3,070 posts

Posted Today, 11:38 PM

You know what pisses me off ... and you cannot blame the refs for the loss but big no calls throughout the game - i did not realise how many no calls until I see the vikings 1 penalty 7 yards ... the PI on Reed alone should have stopped the clock and put the ball on the 1 - for **** sake ... the defense cost us this one but the refs ****ing helped them ...

:dunce
:lol I love how he contradicts himself in the same post. Either the refs cost them the game or they didn't. He can't have it both ways.

UncleMilti

Staff member
It absolutely makes me giddy with delight to see Washington go down in flames. RGIII is nothing but a gimmick QB, and he is getting his dick knocked in the dirt when he does run.
He took big hits in the Broncos game, and took some pretty big shots tonight against the Vikings. He is going to have a very short career racking up those types of hits, and to make it worse he has a coach in Shanahan with a history of not giving 2 shits about his players health.

Then again, I think everyone is tired of seeing RGIII's fucking Subway commercials and Gatorade promos when the fact is the guy hasn't done shit in the NFL. Probably in the top 5 most over-hyped players ever in NFL history.

Top Bottom