Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monk, Green: Mull name changeUpdated: July 23, 2013, 12:03 PM ET
    ESPN.com news services

Washington Redskins Hall of Famers Art Monk and Darrell Green say the team should consider changing the team's nickname because it is offensive to many Native Americans.

Owner Daniel Snyder has said he will never change the team's nickname, but Monk and Green told WTOP Radio in Washington, D.C., on Tuesday that the topic isn't one that should be so easily dismissed.

"[If] Native Americans feel like Redskins or the Chiefs or [another] name is offensive to them, then who are we to say to them 'No, it's not?'" Monk told the radio station.

Monk, who was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2008 and is the Redskins' all-time leader in receptions (888) and yards receiving (12,026), added that a name change should be "seriously considered."

Green, a former cornerback who was also inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2008 and is the Redskins' franchise leader in interceptions (54), agreed that a name change should be under consideration.

"It deserves and warrants conversation because somebody is saying, 'Hey, this offends me,'" Green told the radio station.

In May, 10 members of Congress sent a letter to the Redskins, the NFL and its other 31 teams, calling for a name change.

Commissioner Roger Goodell, however, defended the team's nickname in a letter to the members of Congress, writing that the Redskins name "is a unifying force that stands for strength, courage, pride and respect."

The nickname is the subject of a long-running legal challenge from a group seeking to have the team lose its trademark protection.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Comment

Except Native Americans aren't saying that it's offensive. Only a very small, idiotic percentage of them are.

Comment

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 17m
        Washington WR Pierre Garçon commented to reporters that he thought “the Redskins’ offense could be the best ever in the NFL”. Thoughts?
        2016 DCC LOTY Fantasy Football Champion

Comment

Originally posted by Iamtdg View Post
          Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 17m
          Washington WR Pierre Garçon commented to reporters that he thought “the Redskins’ offense could be the best ever in the NFL”. Thoughts?
          Check his pockets for dope.
          Since Day One

Comment

'92 Dallas Cowboys

or

'07 New England Patriots

Comment

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/ey...eason-practice

WATCH: A Redskins fan gets ultra-upset after preseason practice
              By Josh Katzowitz | NFL WriterJuly 25, 2013 9:20 pm ET

If you want to be annoyed by somebody who appears to be a Redskins fan, do not (I repeat, DO NOT) click on the video below.

But if you're a masochist or you just enjoy fans complaining about their first-world problems or you like to see multiple saliva lines stretched across the mouth of somebody who's hurt that SHE DIDN'T GET AN AUTOGRAPH, by all means, press play.

Ten bucks says you can't get through the whole ordeal, via recordsANDradio, without wanting to punch yourself in the face.

Oh, and if you go to Redskins training camp, be aware that, just like 99.9 percent of the days in your life, you might not end the experience with an autograph from an NFL player.

You, dear reader, have been warned!

---------------

People this fucking idiotic should be shot in the face. Immediately.

Comment

Page deleted.

Comment

Originally posted by Deuce View Post
                  Page deleted.
                  Fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by boozeman View Post
                    People this fucking idiotic should be shot in the face. Immediately.

What a fricking loser.

"I've been a Redskins fan all my life and no one came over to where I was standing"

Yea, like the players stand around at the end of a shitty practice and look out into the crowd and wonder "Hmmmm, I wonder which ones here have been fans forever and took the day off work?"
                    2013 DCC Fantasy Football Champeen

Comment

Holy shit. That can't be real, can it?
                      2016 DCC LOTY Fantasy Football Champion

Comment

Excuse me for being vicious but I want to jam a shotgun up her twat and pull the trigger.

Comment

Come on, she took off work for this, cut her some slack.

Comment

She will probably end up with a boatload of autographed Redskins' swag and watch a game in the owner's box.

Comment

Watching it again, that seems like a lot of fake crying.

Comment

Adam Caplan ‏@caplannfl 11m
                                NFL announced Redskins DE Jarvis Jenkins suspended 4 games for PEDS.

-------------

With Kerrigan out for a while... @ the Redskins.

Comment

Working...
                                X