LOL @ the Redskins

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Really? Haha
Yeah, the idea is laughable now, but I can easily seeing PETA doing something stupid. They have a history of it.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Yeah, the idea is laughable now, but I can easily seeing PETA doing something stupid. They have a history of it.
They have a history of wanting to changes team names?

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
If they were going to protest team names it would be the Cowboys and Packers, for being related to the beef industry.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
The NFL could at least not insult our intelligence by pretending "redskin" is a term of respect and empowerment. Nonsense.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
Political correctness is at the heart of so much failure in America today. I hope the Skins don't cave. F everyone that wants this. IF you don't like it, don't support it, but leave those that do alone. It's a fricking football team people.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Good grief...you have a vivid imagination.
He's just saying they exist to do wacky publicity stunts and if they thought they could get attention from picketing at Lambeau field it's within the scope of their operation.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
The NFL could at least not insult our intelligence by pretending "redskin" is a term of respect and empowerment. Nonsense.
It's just a nickname plain and simple I don't know how the country existed all these years knowing that the Washington team was called Redskins. How can the citizens of Oklahoma hold their heads up know their football team is called Sooners. Not to mention the Oklahoma City Outlaws.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
It's just a nickname plain and simple I don't know how the country existed all these years knowing that the Washington team was called Redskins. How can the citizens of Oklahoma hold their heads up know their football team is called Sooners. Not to mention the Oklahoma City Outlaws.

Just a nickname based on a physical feature of a race of human beings. No matter how many bad analogies you make to animals or occupations, it isn't the same thing. They were playfully called the Slurs around here forever. Why is that?

And if it were a slur against something you held sacred or involved you in some way, I doubt you would be so high on the grandfather clause angle. But that is how these things work. Everyone is too goshdarn sensitive... until someone says something derogatory about white Christians or whoever.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
San Diego Slant Eyes. Just a nickname, Phil, don't be sensitive.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Political correctness is at the heart of so much failure in America today. I hope the Skins don't cave. F everyone that wants this. IF you don't like it, don't support it, but leave those that do alone. It's a fricking football team people.
Couldn't agree more.

Feelings matter way too much in our day.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Just a nickname based on a physical feature of a race of human beings. No matter how many bad analogies you make to animals or occupations, it isn't the same thing. They were playfully called the Slurs around here forever. Why is that?

And if it were a slur against something you held sacred or involved you in some way, I doubt you would be so high on the grandfather clause angle. But that is how these things work. Everyone is too goshdarn sensitive... until someone says something derogatory about white Christians or whoever.
Seems that we've forgotten how to let things roll off our backs.

Everyone is on constant lookout for something that offends them, that's kind of our culture now.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
They were playfully called the Slurs around here forever. Why is that?
Honestly, I only remember them being called the slurs after all this name change stuff started. And even that was more to poke fun at the redskin fans. Ever since I was old enough to watch football in the 70's right on thru their last superbowl, I don't ever remember anyone referring to them as the "slurs". Or even mentioning that their mascot name was offensive. When the PC train picked up steam in the mid to late 90's is the first time I can remember that their name just might be racist.

I grew up on a reservation and this topic went from non existent to one that was deeply offensive over night. I never have quite understood how that worked. Were they just waiting for permission to be offended?

Kbrown

Not So New Member
They have been referred to as the Slurs since I started posting here, in about 2007.

I get it though. The general sentiment of this board is inevitably going to be against changing things, especially if it involves accomodating minorities, and doubly especially if the evil government is on board. I just think it is outdated and hearkens back to when, as you say, nobody seemed offended because doing things like using a minority's physical features as a football mascot or a toothpaste logo was just a fact of life. It's time to move on, IMO.

Last edited:
Top Bottom