Williams: Raiders plan to give Ryan Switzer a bigger role than he had in Dallas

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Raiders plan to give Ryan Switzer a bigger role than he had in Dallas
Posted by Charean Williams on June 26, 2018, 5:07 PM EDT

The Cowboys talked up Ryan Switzer when they used a fourth-round pick on him in 2017. But he never found a role in the offense, which prompted the team to trade him to Oakland in the offseason.

“Just the snap of the fingers and your world gets flipped upside down,” Switzer said, via Scott Bair of NBC Sports Bay Area. “It is the nature of this business. I’m understanding that. Ultimately, I realized that everything happens for a reason. I’m here where I’m supposed to be and happy to be here.”
Switzer played only 92 snaps on offense and 133 on special teams. Buried on the depth chart behind Cole Beasley, Switzer managed only seven targets with six receptions for 41 yards.

He returned one of 29 punt returns for a touchdown but had a costly special teams fumble in the loss to the Rams in Week 4. He averaged 8.8 yards on punt returns and 25.0 on kickoff returns.

Switzer could get more chances on offense with the Raiders this season.

“Ryan Switzer has really caught my eye,” Raiders coach Jon Gruden said, unprompted. “Switzer has come in here and not only been a punt returner, kick returner, he’s come in and been a force as a slot receiver. He’s really done well.”

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Wouldn't be surprised if he has a very nice career there.

Too bad we couldn't have gotten it out of him here.

Only a good trade if Jihad Ward turns into something.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
You can also only develop the potential of so many WRs at a time, and with Bryant gone and Hurns on a prove-it deal Dallas entered the draft determined to restock the outside. Switzer was odd man out, especially since Beasley is still under 30.

Ward is instant DL depth and has potential as a pass rusher with his height and decent arm length. He needs to build strength, but he's got good potential as Crawford's replacement.

Since we're missing a spot or two on the DL anyway, Ward can be brought on as good insurance without burning coaching cycles and wasting a roster spot like Switzer.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wouldn't be surprised if he has a very nice career there.

Too bad we couldn't have gotten it out of him here.

Only a good trade if Jihad Ward turns into something.
I like the fit of Ward as a 3 technique in this defense. But yeah part of me wishes Switzer would have had a legit shot to replace Beasley. I think Switzer gives you all the same ability with more open field running ability and returning ability. But I guess the coaches disagree. I guess lets just hope that Austin can show more here then he ever has in his career in the NFL.

Top Bottom