TO refuses hall of fame appearance/acceptance

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Yeah, this is wrong in every respect. Irvin was as big a WR as there was back then and he was money on the slant. He'd have killed it in a West coast offense.
Hell, it could be argued that the slant was his most dangerous route.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Don Coryell, father of the WCO
No, no. Bill Walsh is the father of the regular ol' run of the mill WCO. Apparently, Don Coryell is the father of the timing-based WCO.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Timing-based WCO? You know, the fucking 1990’s Cowboys offense??
It's been a couple days now, Ravi. Don't just leave us hanging. I think we'd all like to hear your take on how our 90's offense was a timing based West Coast Offense.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
It's been a couple days now, Ravi. Don't just leave us hanging. I think we'd all like to hear your take on how our 90's offense was a timing based West Coast Offense.
I guess you didn't know. Thought you were kidding.

There are two most famous schools of WCO, each Ohio-originated offenses one by Paul Brown and Bill Walsh and another by Sid Gillman who passed it on through osmosis to Don Coryell, Joe Gibbs, and Ernie Zampese in San Diego. The latter taught their version to Norv Turner when he was with the Rams. Back in the day, Gillman worked with Brown at OSU, and each took a different path. Gillman emphasized timing and vertical routes to spread the defense and Brown did the same with QB sprints and short passes.

There is a third "WCO" coached by Jack Elway and Dennis Erickson at Stanford.

All were called WCO because each was made famous in the 1980's on the West Coast.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I'm not buying it.

Just because 40 years ago people may have referred to it as a WCO, once the name was tagged on Bill Walsh's offense, NOBODY would ever mistake the two offenses. They are completely, and fundamentally different from one another.

You ask somebody today to name Bill Walsh's offense, and to name Don Coryell's offense, and 99.9999999999999999% of the time you will hear they are the WCO and Air Coryell, respectively.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I'm not buying it.

Just because 40 years ago people may have referred to it as a WCO, once the name was tagged on Bill Walsh's offense, NOBODY would ever mistake the two offenses. They are completely, and fundamentally different from one another.

You ask somebody today to name Bill Walsh's offense, and to name Don Coryell's offense, and 99.9999999999999999% of the time you will hear they are the WCO and Air Coryell, respectively.
You asked! And those folks don't know crap. Air Coryell was just one version of the timing-based WCO. There is no timing-based version of Bill Walsh's offense.

Even Bernie Kosar referred to the Cowboys offense as the WCO when he came to Dallas in 1993.

Why do you think I called it the timing-based WCO? This offense has won seven Superbowls by my count and it has a serious tree, AFL, San Diego State, 70-80's San Diego Chargers, 80's Washington, 80's Rams, 90's Cowboys, 90-00's Rams, our offense since 2007, and probably a bunch of others I've missed.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
We tried (and failed) to be a WCO when Paul Hackett was the offensive coordinator in the late 80's.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
We tried (and failed) to be a WCO when Paul Hackett was the offensive coordinator in the late 80's.
Different WCO, but yeah our first attempt in 86. Norv got it right five years later with Gillman's Timing WCO.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
They were rolling with it at 6-2 in Sherrard's rookie season until both he and Danny White got injured.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
They were rolling with it at 6-2 in Sherrard's rookie season until both he and Danny White got injured.
White got hurt that year, but Sherrard didn't get hurt until the following season in training camp. He played in every game his rookie year.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
The OL was playing well to start the year and the short throws fit White's diminished capabilities. Walker was also a menace who people hadn't figured out how to stop yet.

But the second Giants game the intensity ratcheted up and White, Dorsett, and Walker all got hurt and Phil Pozderac had multiple gaffs in the final two minutes at least twice preventing Dallas from landing great field position inside the 15. We lost 17-14, and from there the season unraveled.

Steve Pelluer showed flashes but could not sustain drives. We finished 1-7 and the WCO plays were removed, though I forget when.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The OL was playing well to start the year and the short throws fit White's diminished capabilities. Walker was also a menace who people hadn't figured out how to stop yet.

But the second Giants game the intensity ratcheted up and White, Dorsett, and Walker all got hurt and Phil Pozderac had multiple gaffs in the final two minutes at least twice preventing Dallas from landing great field position inside the 15. We lost 17-14, and from there the season unraveled.

Steve Pelluer showed flashes but could not sustain drives. We finished 1-7 and the WCO plays were removed, though I forget when.
Pretty hazy year. But I regard that year as the last gasp of the Landry Cowboys. They tried to reinvent themselves but it was too late.

But even though he played on some of the worst teams in club history, Herschel was a horse.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Threw five picks vs the Raiders in a close game we could have won.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
with the possible exception of the last sentence, there's no way he wrote that

Top Bottom