TO refuses hall of fame appearance/acceptance

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Michael Irvin was a great leader when he was good, outstanding talent, hard worker, and the shittiest locker room influence possible once the coke stuff came out and he started to decline.

Owens was a better talent, equally hard worker, and just as shitty as Mike except for most of his career instead of the last two-three years. Owens might have held public workouts in his driveway, but he never stabbed a teammate in the neck or verbally harassed teammates for living normal, non-adulterous lives.

If you think Mike was a better on-field talent, you are letting royal blue and metallic silver cloud your vision. Owens was a fricking explosive beast with double and a third more TDs than Mike. Let that sink in. Mike was great; TO was better. Sorry.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Michael Irvin was a great leader when he was good, outstanding talent, hard worker, and the shittiest locker room influence possible once the coke stuff came out and he started to decline.

Owens was a better talent, equally hard worker, and just as shitty as Mike except for most of his career instead of the last two-three years. Owens might have held public workouts in his driveway, but he never stabbed a teammate in the neck or verbally harassed teammates for living normal, non-adulterous lives.

If you think Mike was a better on-field talent, you are letting royal blue and metallic silver cloud your vision. Owens was a fricking explosive beast with double and a third more TDs than Mike. Let that sink in. Mike was great; TO was better. Sorry.
The best was Randy Moss and I know this isn’t about him but I just had to get that in.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
The best was Randy Moss and I know this isn’t about him but I just had to get that in.
Wrong, The best ever was Jerry Rice.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

Owens almost always plays in a West coast, extremely pass-heavy offense.

Irvin always played in a run heavy offense.Owens

The volume numbers aren't all that relevant.

Irvin > Owens

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Owens almost always plays in a West coast, extremely pass-heavy offense.

Irvin always played in a run heavy offense.Owens

The volume numbers aren't all that relevant.

Irvin > Owens
2006 Cowboys, 506 passes, 472 rush attempts, Owens has 85 (most as a Cowboy) for 1139 and 13 touchdowns. He also played several games with a broken hand, and the first six games Bledsoe was throwing. The next year he gets 9 fewer targets, 81 catches for 1355 and 15 TDs.

Yeah the Romo-led Cowboys passed a lot in 06 and 07, but they ran a lot too.

data

Forbes #1
Please elaborate why you think so.

Not patronizing you, I’m genuinely curious why you’ve come to this conclusion. Figured you would’ve said Don Hutson or Jim Thorpe, you old-timer.

Genghis Khan

2006 Cowboys, 506 passes, 472 rush attempts, Owens has 85 (most as a Cowboy) for 1139 and 13 touchdowns. He also played several games with a broken hand, and the first six games Bledsoe was throwing. The next year he gets 9 fewer targets, 81 catches for 1355 and 15 TDs.

Yeah the Romo-led Cowboys passed a lot in 06 and 07, but they ran a lot too.
Not sure where you are going with this but it doesn't refute my point one iota.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
[MENTION=15]pdom[/MENTION].

Randy Moss was a scoring threat anytime the ball was in his hands. His speed was amazing, his ability to get separation was unequaled and he has some of the softest hands to ever play the game. He had the height advantage on almost every defensive back and he could extend a jump like no other. He was ecceptionaly fluid with excellent balance and he was almost without exception an automatic mismatch for any game. He couldn’t be contained at the LOS and he wasn’t afraid to take a pattern over the middle.

Downside..... he was moody and at times appeared to be loafing or playing down to his actual abilities. Also was aloof from the team sometimes but all in all he could carry a game. I often wonder if anyone ever saw him at his absolute best because I think he was the poster boy for a football freak.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
@pdom.

Randy Moss was a scoring threat anytime the ball was in his hands. His speed was amazing, his ability to get separation was unequaled and he has some of the softest hands to ever play the game. He had the height advantage on almost every defensive back and he could extend a jump like no other. He was ecceptionaly fluid with excellent balance and he was almost without exception an automatic mismatch for any game. He couldn’t be contained at the LOS and he wasn’t afraid to take a pattern over the middle.

Downside..... he was moody and at times appeared to be loafing or playing down to his actual abilities. Also was aloof from the team sometimes but all in all he could carry a game. I often wonder if anyone ever saw him at his absolute best because I think he was the poster boy for a football freak.
And BTW, Jerry Jones drafted Greg Ellis over him.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
And BTW, Jerry Jones drafted Greg Ellis over him.
Yes he did but there was a lot of public pressure over Moss being a bad boy and some of the Cowboys had given the organization a bad name so Jones took the safe road.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yes he did but there was a lot of public pressure over Moss being a bad boy and some of the Cowboys had given the organization a bad name so Jones took the safe road.
Public pressure from whom? I don't recall many fans rejoicing the "safe" pick.

The real pressure came from Chan Gailey and Dwain Painter, the WRs coach, who didn't want to deal with him.

That is the problem when you have a GM with zero eye for talent who "listens" to his staff.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Public pressure from whom? I don't recall many fans rejoicing the "safe" pick.

The real pressure came from Chan Gailey and Dwain Painter, the WRs coach, who didn't want to deal with him.

That is the problem when you have a GM with zero eye for talent who "listens" to his staff.
There was a ton of fans in this area who were screaming about Jones needed to clean up the roster and avoid picking up Moss. It was a mixed bag in this area.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Not sure where you are going with this but it doesn't refute my point one iota.
Owens’ offenses succeeded in large part because of him, irrespective of being pass heavy or balanced.

I don’t think Irvin was a great fit for a WCO that relied on sprint options and WRs with size, speed and RAC ability, but he was perfect for our timing-based WCO.

TO would have succeeded in either system, as his success in Dallas proved.

Genghis Khan

Owens’ offenses succeeded in large part because of him, irrespective of being pass heavy or balanced.

I don’t think Irvin was a great fit for a WCO that relied on sprint options and WRs with size, speed and RAC ability, but he was perfect for our timing-based WCO.

TO would have succeeded in either system, as his success in Dallas proved.
Yeah, this is wrong in every respect. Irvin was as big a WR as there was back then and he was money on the slant. He'd have killed it in a West coast offense.

Top Bottom