2018 Random NFL Stuff thread . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Our week 1 opponent, the Carolina Panthers, may have lost their RT to a knee injury.

Daryl Williams went down with a non-contact injury during practice today.

Prayers up to the former Sooner.
I don't see the Panthers being very good this year. We will see but I expect them to have a down turn again.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
He's not wrong, you know?

I believe it was [MENTION=6]1bigfan13[/MENTION] who pointed this out before, but it is amazing how the NFL has created this world where fans almost always side with the organization.

I tend to side with the players on a lot of issues and don't think it's fair that there is no obligation from the owners or teams to fulfill their obligations to the players, but God forbid a player doesn't want to fulfill his?

Chaos.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
He's totally wrong.

Players come and go. The team is what I root for, end of story.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Also, the notion that teams don't fulfill their end of contracts is fucking retarded.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Also, the notion that teams don't fulfill their end of contracts is fucking retarded.
Yeah the contract terms are what the contract terms are. It's a business. No different than when a player holds out for a bigger pay day when he has years left on his contract. If you want a guaranteed contract there is nothing stopping a player from doing that. Look at Cousin's contract.

I never understood the concept that teams were somehow screwing players but not fully guaranteeing contracts. You're simply not getting paid for work that you're not doing.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Thomas' agent tweet:

Right, your clients don't benefit at all from capitalism. :doh

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thomas' agent tweet:

Right, your clients don't benefit at all from capitalism. :doh
Those poor athletes and their millions of dollars.

By the way, fans root for teams. They don't root for players. Teams win or lose games. Teams win superbowls. Players come and go but the teams are consistently there.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Yeah the contract terms are what the contract terms are. It's a business. No different than when a player holds out for a bigger pay day when he has years left on his contract. If you want a guaranteed contract there is nothing stopping a player from doing that. Look at Cousin's contract.

I never understood the concept that teams were somehow screwing players but not fully guaranteeing contracts. You're simply not getting paid for work that you're not doing.
Which is why more players are pushing for fully guaranteed contracts. And I don't blame them at all for that.

The point I brought up was how when players do hold out for more money, fans tend to side with the team and slam the player for not honoring the contract. However, when the team cuts the player early, those same fans are suddenly silent when it comes to honoring contact terms.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
The point I brought up was how when players do hold out for more money, fans tend to side with the team and slam the player for not honoring the contract. However, when the team cuts the player early, those same fans are suddenly silent when it comes to honoring contact terms.
Pretty easy to figure out why. Fans want their teams to be able to operate without being tight up against the cap. And 99% of the time, the player is cut because their play has fallen off and doesn't justify their salary. Which brings us back full circle. The team will always be here, players come and go.

Look no further than this board. Each year guys here are complaining about players that are not living up to their contract. Saying they should be cut.

Will you go on record supporting Tyrone Crawford? The team is honoring his contract by keeping him. :art

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

:towel

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Which is why more players are pushing for fully guaranteed contracts. And I don't blame them at all for that.

The contract gives the team the option of employing the player each year. Cutting the player “early” isn’t actually the team failing to live up to their end. The team said “we will pay you handsomely to give us the option to employ you at these salaries,” and most players can’t wait to sign on the dotted line cause they make nowhere near that money doing anything else BESIDES playing football.

A player holding out, therefore, IS failing to live up to his end, while a team cutting a player is not.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
The contract gives the team the option of employing the player each year. Cutting the player “early” isn’t actually the team failing to live up to their end. The team said “we will pay you handsomely to give us the option to employ you at these salaries,” and most players can’t wait to sign on the dotted line cause they make nowhere near that money doing anything else BESIDES playing football.

A player holding out, therefore, IS failing to live up to his end, while a team cutting a player is not.
That is the bottom line to all this. Its a job folks and the player is the employee. The employee should never have more of an advantage or say so than the owner. If the player wants to direct the terms then become an owner.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd watch that game for sure.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
:lol

Status
Not open for further replies.