http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article197508249.html

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

But they cheat, and stuff.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Can someone explain to me why the FUCK Aaron Rodgers is in this discussion?

Keep in mind, I loathe Brett Fav-Ruh.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life

Can someone explain to me why the FUCK Aaron Rodgers is in this discussion?

Keep in mind, I loathe Brett Fav-Ruh.
There are a lot of QB's I'd take before either pack QB.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
73% chance

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Seems risky. I would love to see them stuck with both Qbs.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Well they can always rescind the franchise tag. But everyone is going to know it and wait.
Is there a certain day that they have to be under the cap or can they just not go over it at any time? Wondering how long they can keep the tag and still go after free agents if they choose to?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Can’t he just refuse to sign the tag and remain a FA?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

You can't say the Browns aren't trying to assemble the best team possible.

John Dorsey, Eliott Wolf, Alonzo Highsmith and now McCloughan. I am extremely jealous.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is there a certain day that they have to be under the cap or can they just not go over it at any time? Wondering how long they can keep the tag and still go after free agents if they choose to?
They have to be under the cap once the new league year starts. It's like late February or early March. After that I think they have to stay under the cap the entire time. I think the Redskins have like 49 mil in cap space to play with so they could hold on to Cousins with the franchise tag for a while but like you said, it would kill their ability to really do a whole lot in free agency. And I'm sure some NFL teams would hold back cash knowing they want to sign Cousins. Especially teams like the Jets and Browns who have a fortune in money to spend and could afford to wait. Might be a little more difficult for a team like the Broncos or Bills who only have 29 and 26 mil in cap space but I'm sure they could get creative with a Cousin's contract to afford it.

The only difficult thing for those NFL teams in waiting is that there is only 1 Cousins and if two of those teams try to wait it out then they may be left with no QB plan if he doesn't go there. I'm sure the Broncos for example don't want to waste another year with Paxton Lynch and Siemian at QB but they showed their fortitude last year with Romo and not willing to trade even a middle or late round pick to make sure they get him. So I wouldn't doubt their ability to sit and wait for the tag to be lifted on Cousins.

And of course Cousins can always just sit out the year under the franchise tag and become unrestricted a year later. It's not like he is guaranteed playing time even if he signs it with Alex Smith in town. And the other option is that he signs the tag and makes a fortune sitting on the bench while Alex Smith makes a bunch of money as the starter. Would severely handicap their team.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

You can't say the Browns aren't trying to assemble the best team possible.

John Dorsey, Eliott Wolf, Alonzo Highsmith and now McCloughan. I am extremely jealous.
Let me know when they actually do something to make their team talented. You're like the guy with an average looking girlfriend who can't help but look at even the fat and nasty girl and imagine what it would be like to bang her.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Redskins consider tagging Kirk Cousins to trade him

8:46 AM CT
Adam Schefter
ESPN Senior Writer

In what sets up as an offseason game of chicken that would markedly influence the quarterback market, the Washington Redskins will consider placing their franchise tag on quarterback Kirk Cousins so they can trade him and recoup some of the compensation they are sending to Kansas City for quarterback Alex Smith, per league sources.

Tagging Cousins would prevent him from becoming a true unrestricted free agent, able to sign where he wants once the new league year opens March 14, and could impact how other teams approach free agency and the draft. Without a franchise tag, Cousins would be considered the NFL's top available free agent, expected to draw interest from Arizona, Denver, the New York Jets and other quarterback-needy teams.

But Washington might want a say in where Cousins winds up, which would enable the Redskins to try to extract compensation in the 2018 draft rather than having him walk away for nothing this year.

However, Cousins still would be able to wield some control of the situation and could force Washington into a challenging if not uncomfortable situation. Washington could not trade him until he signs the franchise tag, and if Cousins wanted, he could delay signing it for weeks or even months, with the Redskins having to count his approximate $34.5 million against their salary cap.

Cousins also could tell any of Washington's potential trade partners that he is unwilling to sign a long-term deal there, dampening that team's enthusiasm for surrendering a top draft pick for his services and holding up any potential trade.

If Washington decided to pull the franchise tag to get Cousins' contract off its salary cap, it would lose the right to recoup a 2019 compensatory draft pick that it would get if Cousins were able to leave right away as a free agent. So tagging Cousins would undoubtedly carry risk.

Redskins coach Jay Gruden did not give Cousins a sense that the team would use its franchise tag on him when the two spoke last week, but others connected to the team insist that Washington is considering it. They believe it is nothing more than a business decision, a way for the team to try to get back at least the third-round pick it is trading to Kansas City for Smith.

It is a decision that Washington will have to make in the coming weeks. Teams can begin designating franchise players on Feb. 20.

The only thing I didn't realize is that it would screw the Redskins on the comp pick if they franchise him and then rescind the tag. When he signs somewhere they at least have a third round comp pick coming depending how heavily they invest in free agency but if they do this I guess they lose that automatically even if they aren't able to trade Cousins.

BipolarFuk

Demoted

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Did the Eagles fake their Super Bowl walkthrough to fool the Patriots?
2:00 PM CT
ESPN

In the days following their victory in Super Bowl LII, some members of the champion Eagles are making it sound like they weren't going to take any chances at their walkthrough the day before the big game.

Earlier this week, Eagles long snapper Rick Lovato told WDAE radio in Tampa Bay that the team ran what he called a "fake walkthrough" and that he overheard others saying they were using plays not in their playbook during it.

And on Friday, safety Malcolm Jenkins said on SportsCenter: "I think there are still a lot of coaches out there that don't trust the Patriots, so sometimes they'll overthink it and do some fake plays in case anybody's watching."

The Eagles went through their walkthrough about an hour after the Patriots completed theirs at U.S. Bank Stadium.

"We weren't going to show anything to anyone, especially being at the stadium," Lovato told WDAE.

The Patriots and coach Bill Belichick were fined and the team was penalized with the loss of a draft pick in 2007 as part of the league's "Spygate" investigation, when they were caught taping their opponent's sideline signals during a game with the Jets.

In 2008, The Boston Herald reported that the Patriots had videotaped the Rams' walkthrough prior to Super Bowl XXXVI in 2002, a story the newspaper later retracted.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom