2018 Random NFL Stuff thread . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Did you guys see the stuff they were flagging players for over that idiotic new helmet rule? There were some flat out embarrassing calls being made last night.

In a couple of them the offensive player clearly lowers his head and initiates the contact but the defensive player received the penalty.

Another one looked like the normal tackle that you'd encourage Pop Warner kids to emulate and they still threw the flag.

And just like I feared, defensive players are the only ones being punished with this new rule. Offensive players continue to lower their head initiating contact and nothing is called.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Did you guys see the stuff they were flagging players for over that idiotic new helmet rule? There were some flat out embarrassing calls being made last night.

In a couple of them the offensive player clearly lowers his head and initiates the contact but the defensive player received the penalty.

Another one looked like the normal tackle that you'd encourage Pop Warner kids to emulate and they still threw the flag.

And just like I feared, defensive players are the only ones being punished with this new rule. Offensive players continue to lower their head initiating contact and nothing is called.
I am not yet freaking out. I think they will come to their senses after making a "statement" in preseason.

1bigfan13

Staff member
I am not yet freaking out. I think they will come to their senses after making a "statement" in preseason.
I hope that's the case. Honestly, I don't think the refs are sure of what to look for. It looks like they are guessing on a lot of these and simply throwing the flag to cover their ass for when they're graded.

This is nothing more than another subjective penalty heaped upon a sport whose rule book already has entirely too many subjective penalties.

During one play last night it looked like all 7 officials huddled up for about a minute to discuss whether or not a leading with the helmet violation had occurred.

IMO, they shouldn't throw the flag unless it's obvious. If you have to debate it among your peers then pick up the damn flag.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Wow.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Wow.
For a franchise rebuilding it makes no sense.

DLK150

DCC 4Life

Wow.
That's inane.

Of course, I just watched the Colts run a failed two point attempt to lose by one point against the Ravens so...

Smitty

DCC 4Life
That's inane.

Of course, I just watched the Colts run a failed two point attempt to lose by one point against the Ravens so...
I doubt either team gave a damn about winning, losing, or forcing overtime in a preseason game.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Jimmy Smith suspended 4 games; Ravens will allow him to return

OWINGS MILLS, Md. -- Jimmy Smith was suspended Tuesday by the NFL for the first four games of the regular season for violating the league's personal conduct policy, sidelining the Baltimore Ravens' top cornerback for the first quarter of the 2018 season.

Smith's discipline stems from a domestic violence incident last November involving the mother of his first child.

In a statement, the Ravens acknowledged the NFL had found evidence "of threatening and emotionally abusive behaviors" by Smith toward his former girlfriend.

"I would like to sincerely apologize to my former girlfriend, the NFL, the Ravens organization, my coaches, my teammates, my fiancée and all our fans. I'm very disappointed that my past actions have led to this suspension," Smith said in a statement. "I promise that I have already learned much and will continue to learn more from this experience. I believe I am, and will continue to try to be, a better person and a better father because of this. I am committed to being the best I can be, both on and off the field.

"I take full responsibility for my past conduct. Moving forward, I will work with the NFL and the Ravens to ensure that what happened in the past will never happen again. I will take all necessary steps to be a positive role model for both my sons, for the NFL and for the entire Ravens community."

The Ravens indicated Smith would be welcomed back after his suspension ends. He can return to the team on Oct. 1.

"Through our conversations with Jimmy, we believe he is taking the proper steps to improve and that he can change. Jimmy has assured us that he is fully dedicated to making this change. He also understands the consequences if he does not."
Ravens statement on Jimmy Smith

Following the Ray Rice scandal five years ago, Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti said the team wouldn't draft any players with a history of domestic violence.

"As a result of this entire process, we will allow Jimmy to return to our team after his suspension," the Ravens said in a statement. "Jimmy has acknowledged his behaviors were wrong and accepts full responsibility for them. He has completed a clinical evaluation and has agreed to undertake any follow-up care or treatment that may be recommended. Through our conversations with Jimmy, we believe he is taking the proper steps to improve and that he can change. Jimmy has assured us that he is fully dedicated to making this change. He also understands the consequences if he does not."

Smith appealed the original six-game suspension, which was reduced by two games.

The Ravens will be without Smith for their games against the Buffalo Bills, Cincinnati Bengals, Denver Broncos and Pittsburgh Steelers. That means Baltimore will have to match up against the likes of A.J. Green, Demaryius Thomas and Antonio Brown.

Baltimore will be in a better position to handle the loss of Smith. The Ravens will start 2017 first-round pick Marlon Humphrey alongside 10-year starter Brandon Carr.

This is the second suspension for Smith. He was suspended for the final four games last season for violating the performance-enhancing drug policy. He served that suspension after suffering a torn Achilles.

ahh... 4 games?

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

Wow.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Odell Beckham Jr and the Giants have come to an agreement on a contract extension. 5 years, $95 million

It's mostly a front-loaded contract. First three years he'll make $60 million.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner

Wow.
I'm surprised Pittsburgh would want him, too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom