2018 Random NFL Stuff thread . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Or just don't call the ticky tack bullshit anymore.
The PI call is supposed to be the latter instances anyway -- where you basically mug the WR to prevent him from catching it.

It has morphed into "was he bumped at all before the catch?"

Etc.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The PI call is supposed to be the latter instances anyway -- where you basically mug the WR to prevent him from catching it.

It has morphed into "was he bumped at all before the catch?"

Etc.
Yeah it's funny because in college football it's called so much differently. Ignoring the 15 yard penalty portion of it. In college football it seems like a guy has to be absolutely mugged in order to get the call. If anything they let defenders probably get away with more than they should. But the NFL is so offense oriented that they lean hard in the other direction. Where the offensive player can basically flop and get a free 60 yards.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Yeah it's funny because in college football it's called so much differently. Ignoring the 15 yard penalty portion of it. In college football it seems like a guy has to be absolutely mugged in order to get the call. If anything they let defenders probably get away with more than they should. But the NFL is so offense oriented that they lean hard in the other direction. Where the offensive player can basically flop and get a free 60 yards.
That's my biggest problem with it....that and the fact that it's too subjective.

I'd like to see them at least do a test trial with an amended DPI rule during the preseason. Kind of like they did with the XPs before they made the official adjustments.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's my biggest problem with it....that and the fact that it's too subjective.

I'd like to see them at least do a test trial with an amended DPI rule during the preseason. Kind of like they did with the XPs before they made the official adjustments.
No and I'm sure there are coaches in the NFL like the Patriots who coach their players that if they can't catch the ball flail around and make it look like you're trying and being stopped to draw the flag. It's just smart coaching based on the way officials officiate. I see Gronk do it all the time.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
But the answer is to not call the bullshit stuff, not to radically alter the way they call the penalty when the basic penalty makes logical sense.

It's too much the other way.

In an effort to eliminate ticky tack calls, we're supposed to punish a receiver who otherwise would have legitimately caught a 30/40/50 yard pass by only giving him 15 yards?

Doesn't make sense to me.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Looks like the simplified catch rule was approved.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

:lol

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looks like the simplified catch rule was approved.
The crown of the helmet rules that passed look like a disaster waiting to happen. They claim it applies to everyone including offensive lineman blocking. I'm just waiting for a crucial Cowboys field goal to win the game when an official calls one of our lineman for using the crown of his helmet to block.

Cotton

Staff member
The crown of the helmet rules that passed look like a disaster waiting to happen. They claim it applies to everyone including offensive lineman blocking. I'm just waiting for a crucial Cowboys field goal to win the game when an official calls one of our lineman for using the crown of his helmet to block.
And, they can get ejected for it. At the ref's discretion. This will not end well.

Cotton

Staff member

:lol:lol:lol

So damn true.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
This rule is terrible. The powers that be of this league have lost their minds.

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Good luck with all that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's going to lead to a rule that is arbitrarily enforced. Just like when Dallas got a penalty for 15 yards for too many men on the field. It's never going to get called and then at the most crucial time some official is going to get a bug up his ass and call it and ruin a teams chances at a critical juncture. I'm sure it's going to happen to Dallas and then I'll get some bullshit explanation that it's in the rule book and therefore it is ok to call. Even though it's basically never called.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I still remember and laugh at the "running through the hold" explanation. Just so blatant and shitty.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Giants are supposedly shopping 2 first for Odell. I know the Rams supposedly already offered up pick 23 for him.

This is crazy to me, I'd never give up a first for a head case like that much less more than one first. But at the same time I'd love him to not be on the Giants roster. The Giants really suck without Odell. I mean their offense turns to total hot garbage without him. So part of me would love to see them go into next season without Beckham.

Cotton

Staff member

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
:picard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom