2018 Random NFL Stuff thread . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Hue Jackson punished Antonio Calloway for his marijuana citation by making him play the entire preseason game the other night.

I don't want to hear about Garrett being soft anymore.
It is possible for Garrett to be soft and a bad coach even though there might be somebody worse.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
It is possible for Garrett to be soft and a bad coach even though there might be somebody worse.
Yeah, if you watch Hard Knocks, Hue Jackson makes Garrett look like he is in complete control in comparison.

I don't care for Garrett a bit, but at least he was not telling two guys in Rat Salad and Gregggggg Williams that they will respect his author-IT-TY and have the pair of them roll their eyes at him.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
He is the worst head coach in the NFL. The guy has won 1 game in 2 years. That's the defense you want to go with?
He is bound and determined to die on that hill, even if the arguments he is making don't make a lot of sense.

Oh yeah? At least he's not the absolute worst!

Smitty

DCC 4Life
You all keep saying I'm dying on that hill while we simply let it slide on by that previous favorites like Jeff Fisher have all fallen by the wayside.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
You all keep saying I'm dying on that hill while we simply let it slide on by that previous favorites like Jeff Fisher have all fallen by the wayside.
I was never a Jeff Fisher shill, but honestly, I'd have rather taken a chance with him and failed than still be failing with Garrett after what, 8 years? 10? Shit, I don't even know any more. We could at least say we were trying, instead of just accepting mediocrity.

Thread effectively derailed. I shall now step out, thanks.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Lets do this....

I cant even muster up the effort anymore. I will just wait it out but I reserve the first "I told you so".

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I was never a Jeff Fisher shill, but honestly, I'd have rather taken a chance with him and failed than still be failing with Garrett after what, 8 years? 10? Shit, I don't even know any more. We could at least say we were trying, instead of just accepting mediocrity.

Yeah, Jeff Fisher prior to his Rams debacle had a track record with the Titans that Garrett could only dream for.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member

No kidding. That's the thing I don't get with Schmitty's firm stance on sticking with Garrett. He'd rather stand pat, winning 7 to 9 games a year on average, than taking a chance that someone else might be able to crack the code and at least get this team to a conference championship.

His philosophy is essentially based around sticking with Garrett until a coach who is a guaranteed improvement over Garrett shakes free. Frankly, there are only a small number of coaches in the game who you can petty much guarantee will be successful regardless of where they land.

I'm like you. I'd rather take a stab at some of these up and coming coordinators/coaches rather than continue to tread water with the same average ass HC who clearly doesn't have what it takes to win a championship.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
No kidding. That's the thing I don't get with Schmitty's firm stance on sticking with Garrett. He'd rather stand pat, winning 7 to 9 games a year on average, than taking a chance that someone else might be able to crack the code and at least get this team to a conference championship.

His philosophy is essentially based around sticking with Garrett until a coach who is a guaranteed improvement over Garrett shakes free. Frankly, there are only a small number of coaches in the game who you can petty much guarantee will be successful regardless of where they land.

I'm like you. I'd rather take a stab at some of these up and coming coordinators/coaches rather than continue to tread water with the same average ass HC who clearly doesn't have what it takes to win a championship.
Kris Richard.

Cotton

Staff member
Yeah I dont know how good he is with x's and o's but he has the right temperament to be a head coach in my opinion.
He will be our next HC. Bookmark this post.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
No kidding. That's the thing I don't get with Schmitty's firm stance on sticking with Garrett. He'd rather stand pat, winning 7 to 9 games a year on average
We don't win 7-9 games a year. We've had winning seasons 3 out of the last 4 years, including with a rookie QB, which is no small feat, and the year we didn't we had effectively lost our starting QB, starting RB, and starting WR pretty much the whole year. Two of those three years were 12 wins and 13 wins. Last year we lost our starting RT and starting RB for large portions of the time. Do some teams overcome injuries? Sure, but you can point to a whole lot of them who lose such players and end up derailed as well.

All with a GM that generally undermines the team and most coaches wouldn't work out with for more than ten minutes.

There has been plenty of disappointment with the Garrett era, but you guys don't see the forest for the trees sometimes with the "he's an awful coach" narrative that has taken hold.

If you'd rather roll the dice on an elite head coach, fine, but then acknowledge that it comes with the real possibility that we could do much worse as well, and own that possibility. Hey, I get it. It's like tanking in basketball. Sometimes you need to hit rock bottom before getting good.

Also, people like to portray this like I only have maybe 2-3 names I'd take as my "improvement" over Garrett. That isn't true; but I need obtainable names who will sign on the dotted line who I feel really good about before I fire Garrett for his track record, especially his pretty solid recent track record.

I'm not convinced that it is "clear" that Garrett doesn't have what it takes. Again, I don't think Jeff Fisher is anything better than Garrett and he went to a Super Bowl and almost won. Booze's assertion that pre-Rams Fisher had some sort of ridiculously better resume than Garrett is fiction other than his one run to the Super Bowl.

Cotton

Staff member
We don't win 7-9 games a year. We've had winning seasons 3 out of the last 4 years, including with a rookie QB, which is no small feat, and the year we didn't we had effectively lost our starting QB, starting RB, and starting WR pretty much the whole year. Two of those three years were 12 wins and 13 wins. Last year we lost our starting RT and starting RB for large portions of the time. Do some teams overcome injuries? Sure, but you can point to a whole lot of them who lose such players and end up derailed as well.

All with a GM that generally undermines the team and most coaches wouldn't work out with for more than ten minutes.

There has been plenty of disappointment with the Garrett era, but you guys don't see the forest for the trees sometimes with the "he's an awful coach" narrative that has taken hold.

If you'd rather roll the dice on an elite head coach, fine, but then acknowledge that it comes with the real possibility that we could do much worse as well, and own that possibility. Hey, I get it. It's like tanking in basketball. Sometimes you need to hit rock bottom before getting good.

Also, people like to portray this like I only have maybe 2-3 names I'd take as my "improvement" over Garrett. That isn't true; but I need obtainable names who will sign on the dotted line who I feel really good about before I fire Garrett for his track record, especially his pretty solid recent track record.

I'm not convinced that it is "clear" that Garrett doesn't have what it takes. Again, I don't think Jeff Fisher is anything better than Garrett and he went to a Super Bowl and almost won. Booze's assertion that pre-Rams Fisher had some sort of ridiculously better resume than Garrett is fiction other than his one run to the Super Bowl.
Regular season: 67–53 (.558)

His average is 8.85 wins per seasons.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Regular season: 67–53 (.558)

His average is 8.85 wins per seasons.
Great.

That changes absolutely nothing I said. Framing it as "we only win 7-9 games per year" is untrue, especially recently. We have done much better, with the exception of explainable years lost to injury in 2014, and of course, the less explainable but still SOMEWHAT relevant merely 9 win season when we lost our starting LT, LB, and RB for significant periods of time.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Yeah I dont know how good he is with x's and o's but he has the right temperament to be a head coach in my opinion.
He just has to hire the right oc(and possibly dc if he wants to a walkaround)

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Say this 5 times and lmk if you get why he had an initial start better than garrett

Cotton

Staff member
Great.

That changes absolutely nothing I said. It is misleading to say "we only win 7-9 games a year." We have done much better recently, with the explainable down year due to serious injuries weighing us down in 2014, and the slightly less explainable but still relevant 9 win season with key losses at RB, LT and LB.
The law of averages is lost with you, I assume.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom