2018 Coaching Hirings/Firings

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Vrabel is one of the guys who I kept bringing up whenever Schmitty went into his "there's not a better candidate than Garrett out there" argument.

If he catches on in Detroit, I'll be interested in seeing how it plays out.

As an aside, I like Matt Patricia but I'd be scared to hire him to run my team. Members of the Belichick coaching tree haven't fared well once they venture out on their own.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Dom Capers and most of his defensive staff at GB are out.
I remember just a few weeks ago, I saw a show where two former NFL players -- pretty sure it was Ray Lewis and Eric Davis -- were laughing and wondering out loud how Capers still had a job up there.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Vrabel is one of the guys who I kept bringing up whenever Schmitty went into his "there's not a better candidate than Garrett out there" argument.

If he catches on in Detroit, I'll be interested in seeing how it plays out.

As an aside, I like Matt Patricia but I'd be scared to hire him to run my team. Members of the Belichick coaching tree haven't fared well once they venture out on their own.
I don't think Vrabel will make it. I think he has been accelerated too quickly up the ranks.

Patricia is a tough one. The guy is apparently super smart, but we all know how that kind of shit works out.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
That might not be a bad idea. The OL was their real downfall this year and it has been weak for a long time.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I don't think Vrabel will make it. I think he has been accelerated too quickly up the ranks.

Patricia is a tough one. The guy is apparently super smart, but we all know how that kind of shit works out.
From Peter King's article on the MMQB.com - Mike Vrabel: Why he's a head coaching candidate this year https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/01/02/mike-vrabel-nfl-head-coach-candidate-black-monday-coaching-carousel

Those who know him, or have seen him coach, or have been teammates with him over his 14-year playing career say Vrabel has "it". He has a strong presence in front of players, and players respond to him. He was never afraid to spar with Belichick, or to reinforce Belichick’s locker-room message. When Vrabel left Kansas City after the 2010 season, I’m told he was the most respected man in the locker room. After retiring in 2011 and beginning his coaching career at Ohio State, he had a major impact on recruiting.
Sounds like the bizarro Jason Garrett. I don't recall anyone ever mentioning that Garrett garners this type of respect in the locker room. I'm sure they respect him due to the position that he holds, so they'll toe the company line and say all the right things when asked about his impact as a coach. But he just doesn't have that "it" factor that most great coaches and players have. It's just not in his personality.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Green Bay cleaning house. New OC and new DC coming. Plus a new GM.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Texas Ace

Teh Acester

Green Bay cleaning house. New OC and new DC coming. Plus a new GM.
And this while coming off a season where their All-Pro QB missed significant time.

Meanwhile, in Dallas.....

Like I said, some organizations really do set championships as their standard while some organizations pretend to.

We fall in that latter category.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
And this while coming off a season where their All-Pro QB missed significant time.

Like I said, some organizations really do set championships as their standard while some organizations pretend to.

What about our All Pro RB!!!!!

I'm just kidding fyi

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch

They're not changing their HC, though. And that's the one thing we need to do here. We can complain about keeping our OC and DC, but until Garrett is gone nothing will really change.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
They're not changing their HC, though. And that's the one thing we need to do here. We can complain about keeping our OC and DC, but until Garrett is gone nothing will really change.
Of course.

I absolutely agree with you on that. But my point was that their season can probably be considered less of a failure than ours considering they lost the most important position on the team for a significant amount of time, but yet they aren't looking to make excuses like our organization does.

They consider this season to be enough of a failure that it warranted making a significant amount of changes. Whether McCarthy needed to be part of that or not is a different argument for a different day, but giving him another shot with some different staff members is at least understandable being as he's been a successful coach with them and has won a Superbowl so he deserves a little benefit of the doubt.

The Jones's show all the patience in the world to a coach that does not deserve it. We all know he should be fired but that's not going to happen.... But at the very least you would think that they would make significant changes to the staff around him to try and generate some sort of positive change and bring some fresh ideas to a system that desperately needs it, but we don't even get that much.

It just sucks to see so many teams around the league making changes because they don't feel like the standard they set is being met while we continue to gladly drag our feet in mediocrity.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Of course.

I absolutely agree with you on that. But my point was that their season can probably be considered less of a failure than ours considering they lost the most important position on the team for a significant amount of time, but yet they aren't looking to make excuses like our organization does.

They consider this season to be enough of a failure that it warranted making a significant amount of changes. Whether McCarthy needed to be part of that or not is a different argument for a different day, but giving him another shot with some different staff members is at least understandable being as he's been a successful coach with them and has won a Superbowl so he deserves a little benefit of the doubt.

The Jones's show all the patience in the world to a coach that does not deserve it. We all know he should be fired but that's not going to happen.... But at the very least you would think that they would make significant changes to the staff around him to try and generate some sort of positive change and bring some fresh ideas to a system that desperately needs it, but we don't even get that much.

It just sucks to see so many teams around the league making changes because they don't feel like the standard they set is being met while we continue to gladly drag our feet in mediocrity.
Winning doesn’t matter to Jerry as long as he keeps making money. If fans are dumb enough to keep pouring money into that building and keep buying merchandise, he’s not going to change a damned thing. That horse toothed, mouth breathing, Joan Rivers lookalike laughs at those idiots on a daily basis because their behavior tells him that his fucks ups are acceptable.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Jones cares he just doesn’t know how football chemistry works. He makes money because he knows how but he uses that approach to being a football GM. It hasn’t worked but he doesn’t seem to understand why.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

10 years $100 million :art

midswat

... soon
I bet he signs that contract.... soon.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

10 years $100 million :art

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

DLK150

DCC 4Life

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

Garrett went 1-11 with the level of QB that Gruden dealt with for half his career.

Gruden went to the conference championship when he had a Romo level of QB (Rich Gannon). And I could be wrong but I don't think Gannon ever played that well until Gruden got a hold of him.

And that's not even mentioning that Gruden won a Super Bowl, which oh by the way counts for a lot. Especially considering Garrett's never been close.

Helman needs to get out of here with that weak shit.

Top Bottom