• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2018 DCC Super Bowl Bingo Champion

Comment

Lions To Interview Teryl Austin For HC Job
      January 1st, 2018 at 1:00pm CST by Sam Robinson

Teryl Austin has been the Lions’ defensive coordinator for the past four seasons and has shown up on other teams’ radars as an HC candidate.

Now that the Lions have a vacancy, they will interview their DC for the job, Josina Anderson of ESPN.com reports (on Twitter). Austin will meet with Lions brass on Tuesday, Anderson reports.

The Lions fired Jim Caldwell on Monday morning, and the two have been on the same staff for most of this decade. Caldwell brought Austin over from the Ravens once the Lions hired him in 2014. Austin’s Detroit future will surely be in doubt after Caldwell’s dismissal, but the Lions will evaluate the 52-year-old Austin soon.

Austin’s defense finished this season ranked 27th, however, a drop from 2016’s performance. He figures to have competition from candidates coming off stronger seasons leading their respective units.
      2016 DCC LOTY Fantasy Football Champion

Comment

If only our GM was as proactive as this.

Comment

Comment

Austin and moss = token interviews

Comment

Dom Capers and most of his defensive staff at GB are out.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by midswat View Post
                  Austin and moss = token interviews
                  Rooney Rule.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Vrabel is one of the guys who I kept bringing up whenever Schmitty went into his "there's not a better candidate than Garrett out there" argument.

If he catches on in Detroit, I'll be interested in seeing how it plays out.

As an aside, I like Matt Patricia but I'd be scared to hire him to run my team. Members of the Belichick coaching tree haven't fared well once they venture out on their own.

Comment

Originally posted by boozeman View Post
                          Dom Capers and most of his defensive staff at GB are out.
                          I remember just a few weeks ago, I saw a show where two former NFL players -- pretty sure it was Ray Lewis and Eric Davis -- were laughing and wondering out loud how Capers still had a job up there.
                          2014=2009, 2015=2010?

The Garrett Song

Comment

Originally posted by 1bigfan13 View Post
                            Vrabel is one of the guys who I kept bringing up whenever Schmitty went into his "there's not a better candidate than Garrett out there" argument.

If he catches on in Detroit, I'll be interested in seeing how it plays out.

As an aside, I like Matt Patricia but I'd be scared to hire him to run my team. Members of the Belichick coaching tree haven't fared well once they venture out on their own.
                            I don't think Vrabel will make it. I think he has been accelerated too quickly up the ranks.

Patricia is a tough one. The guy is apparently super smart, but we all know how that kind of shit works out.

Comment

Originally posted by jsmith6919 View Post
                              That might not be a bad idea. The OL was their real downfall this year and it has been weak for a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by boozeman View Post
                                I don't think Vrabel will make it. I think he has been accelerated too quickly up the ranks.

Patricia is a tough one. The guy is apparently super smart, but we all know how that kind of shit works out.
                                From Peter King's article on the MMQB.com - Mike Vrabel: Why he's a head coaching candidate this year https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/01/02/mi...ching-carousel

Those who know him, or have seen him coach, or have been teammates with him over his 14-year playing career say Vrabel has "it". He has a strong presence in front of players, and players respond to him. He was never afraid to spar with Belichick, or to reinforce Belichick’s locker-room message. When Vrabel left Kansas City after the 2010 season, I’m told he was the most respected man in the locker room. After retiring in 2011 and beginning his coaching career at Ohio State, he had a major impact on recruiting.
                                Sounds like the bizarro Jason Garrett. I don't recall anyone ever mentioning that Garrett garners this type of respect in the locker room. I'm sure they respect him due to the position that he holds, so they'll toe the company line and say all the right things when asked about his impact as a coach. But he just doesn't have that "it" factor that most great coaches and players have. It's just not in his personality.

Comment

Working...
                                X