Frank Clark Traded From Seattle To Kansas City

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Oof.

That's way too much.

Maybe we should have traded Lawrence after all if that's the market.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
If Lawrence was hell bent on getting a Mack/Donald, 23+ AAV type deal then I would've definitely traded him for a haul like this. With him doing a relatively fair deal I think I'd rather have Lawrence at this point. You're basically trading a Pro Bowl player for one of the final picks of the 1st, which I tend to think is a bad place to be given the parity between about 25-50 in this class, and not to mention a dead spot for edge rushers, and what will likely end up being a bottom 10 pick in the 2nd next year. That's not a slam dunk haul unless you're looking to clear cap space like the Seahawks are after giving Wilson 35 a year.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If Lawrence was hell bent on getting a Mack/Donald, 23+ AAV type deal then I would've definitely traded him for a haul like this. With him doing a relatively fair deal I think I'd rather have Lawrence at this point. You're basically trading a Pro Bowl player for one of the final picks of the 1st, which I tend to think is a bad place to be given the parity between about 25-50 in this class, and not to mention a dead spot for edge rushers, and what will likely end up being a bottom 10 pick in the 2nd next year. That's not a slam dunk haul unless you're looking to clear cap space like the Seahawks are after giving Wilson 35 a year.
I think I would have done the trade and oddly enough trusted this team to draft the right guys. It's not just a first and second round pick. It's also about saving 20 mil a year in cap space. But who knows if the Chiefs would have done that for Lawrence. Plus Lawrence had an injury that he refused to get surgery on which complicated things more.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
The Chiefs got raped.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I think I would have done the trade and oddly enough trusted this team to draft the right guys. It's not just a first and second round pick. It's also about saving 20 mil a year in cap space. But who knows if the Chiefs would have done that for Lawrence. Plus Lawrence had an injury that he refused to get surgery on which complicated things more.
Sure, you get the cap space, but given our circumstance, for what?

To re-sign Byron Jones? A relatively easily replaceable player? Or La'el Collins? A guy who is severely overrated?

So we can turn around and spend that money in free agency a year from now to fill our glaring hole at DE?

We have like 80 million in cap space in 2020 and I believe over 100 million in 2021. That is more than enough to re-sign Dak, Elliott, and Amari now, Jaylon after 2020, as well as some cheaper roleplayers like Anthony Brown or Maliek Collins while letting Jones and maybe Collins walk.

If this were a different draft I might do that deal but everybody knows that there is a marginal difference in talent between about the mid-20's to the 50's in this specific class. The talent is not strong through the end of the 1st and edge rusher in particular looks like it'll be a wasteland at that point.

It's a good deal for Seattle given that they can't afford to pay Clark given Wilson's new deal and that they have guys like Wagner and Reed coming up for big extensions. It's not a good deal for us though with our cap situation, roster composition, and Lawrence backing off his demands for 23+ a year. At the end of the day I feel like people are getting intoxicated off the draft fumes right now given that it's 2 days away and the reality of the situation is blurred.

If we traded Lawrence away we'd be excited about having a 1st again right up until we realize that we have a massive hole at edge rusher and that we'd be looking at guys like Jaylon Ferguson to fill it. And before anybody brings up Montez Sweat, if we weren't interested in Maurice Hurst last year (a perfect 3T), we wouldn't be interested in Sweat either.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Sure, you get the cap space, but given our circumstance, for what?

To re-sign Byron Jones? A relatively easily replaceable player? Or La'el Collins? A guy who is severely overrated?

So we can turn around and spend that money in free agency a year from now to fill our glaring hole at DE?

We have like 80 million in cap space in 2020 and I believe over 100 million in 2021. That is more than enough to re-sign Dak, Elliott, and Amari now, Jaylon after 2020, as well as some cheaper roleplayers like Anthony Brown or Maliek Collins while letting Jones and maybe Collins walk.

If this were a different draft I might do that deal but everybody knows that there is a marginal difference in talent between about the mid-20's to the 50's in this specific class. The talent is not strong through the end of the 1st and edge rusher in particular looks like it'll be a wasteland at that point.

It's a good deal for Seattle given that they can't afford to pay Clark given Wilson's new deal and that they have guys like Wagner and Reed coming up for big extensions. It's not a good deal for us though with our cap situation, roster composition, and Lawrence backing off his demands for 23+ a year. At the end of the day I feel like people are getting intoxicated off the draft fumes right now given that it's 2 days away and the reality of the situation is blurred.

If we traded Lawrence away we'd be excited about having a 1st again right up until we realize that we have a massive hole at edge rusher and that we'd be looking at guys like Jaylon Ferguson to fill it. And before anybody brings up Montez Sweat, if we weren't interested in Maurice Hurst last year (a perfect 3T), we wouldn't be interested in Sweat either.
Homer.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
You know damn good and well that I'm right.

In some draft classes it may be the right move, but in this class it'll seem like a great idea until about 10:45 Thursday night when we're hoping Clelin Ferrell drops to 29 because he might be as good as Lawrence in 2 years and then he goes 7 spots ahead of us so we end up taking Juan Thornhill, which is a bit of a reach anyway. And then at 58 maybe we end up with LJ Collier but he's actually really just a juiced up Tyrone Crawford who is probably a better interior pass rusher than edge rusher, so we'll see how that turns out, but at least we got a replacement for Crawford when we cut him after this year, right?

I like the move for Seattle, they'll take a step back next year but their roster is actually kind of short on talent and they really need to start hitting on some picks with an eye on about 2 years from now. Wilson covers up a lot of shortcomings on their roster but if you replace him with a league-average QB they probably win about 6-7 games. Our situation is a good bit different.

Top Bottom