Tyreek Hill Under Investigation For Alleged Battery

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I'm not entirely sure what you are saying but I'm convinced it had nothing to do with what I said.
I’m saying the league doesn’t interview or attempt to overturn any matter being handled by the court system. At least I can’t think of any matter where the league began an investigation where the legal system had already made a determination.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’m saying the league doesn’t interview or attempt to overturn any matter being handled by the court system. At least I can’t think of any matter where the league began an investigation where the legal system had already made a determination.
Um what? You do see that they did with Zeke and didn't with Hill correct?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Um what? You do see that they did with Zeke and didn't with Hill correct?
No I’m saying that the league investigated the matter on Elliot and went it to a conclusion. The legal system dropped their investigation with no determination but had they continued and prosecuted then I believe the league would have accepted the courts findings and closed their own proceedings. I am of the opinion that the league would not try to prosecute it’s own findings if it differed from the court systems trial outcome.

i am not comparing the difference in Elliot and Hill. I am making a point about what the league would do when there was a difference of findings.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
No I’m saying that the league investigated the matter on Elliot and went it to a conclusion. The legal system dropped their investigation with no determination but had they continued and prosecuted then I believe the league would have accepted the courts findings and closed their own proceedings. I am of the opinion that the league would not try to prosecute it’s own findings if it differed from the court systems trial outcome.

i am not comparing the difference in Elliot and Hill. I am making a point about what the league would do when there was a difference of findings.
So because there wasn't probable cause to charge Zeke with anything the league should be open to prosecute? But if they had charged him and not found the evidence to be beyond a reasonable doubt, the league would have done nothing? I'm not sure you understand how criminal law works.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
So because there wasn't probable cause to charge Zeke with anything the league should be open to prosecute? But if they had charged him and not found the evidence to be beyond a reasonable doubt, the league would have done nothing? I'm not sure you understand how criminal law works.
I’m not analyzing criminal law. Nor am I determining criminal legal practices. I am merely making a single statement that I don’t think the league word pursue an investigation that had already been adjudicated by the legal system in an attempt overturn the the findings. In addition I believe they can initiate their own investigation if a matter was not completed by the judicial system and was dropped from further investigation without a conclusion.

whether they should or what motives they may have isn’t of concern for what I am saying. I only saying I believe they can open an investigation on discontinued matters if they so choose.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’m not analyzing criminal law. Nor am I determining criminal legal practices. I am merely making a single statement that I don’t think the league word pursue an investigation that had already been adjudicated by the legal system in an attempt overturn the the findings. In addition I believe they can initiate their own investigation if a matter was not completed by the judicial system and was dropped from further investigation without a conclusion.

whether they should or what motives they may have isn’t of concern for what I am saying. I only saying I believe they can open an investigation on discontinued matters if they so choose.
What you're saying makes no sense based on the way the criminal law process works. Adjudication doesn't actually mean someone is found innocent.

Conversely if someone isn't charged at all it means there isn't even probable cause. Which is a much lower burden of proof. So essentially if a criminal investigation determines there is no probable cause then there is no reason to even get to adjudication.

It's the same concept as to why someone can be found not guilty at trial but be sued civily and still be held liable. You're not understanding the different burden of proofs and how they work.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
What you're saying makes no sense based on the way the criminal law process works. Adjudication doesn't actually mean someone is found innocent.

Conversely if someone isn't charged at all it means there isn't even probable cause. Which is a much lower burden of proof. So essentially if a criminal investigation determines there is no probable cause then there is no reason to even get to adjudication.

It's the same concept as to why someone can be found not guilty at trial but be sued civily and still be held liable. You're not understanding the different burden of proofs and how they work.
That’s all well and good but has nothing to do with what I said. Good grief man can you not read a single statement and stay on track? All I said in this regard is that if a legal investigation is dropped by the court system on a player then the League can conduct their own investigation. Is this true or not? I am of the opinion they can if it falls within the scope of the bylaws.

And for the record I’m not the one who thinks because a case is adjudicated and dropped it has found someone innocent.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That’s all well and good but has nothing to do with what I said. Good grief man can you not read a single statement and stay on track? All I said in this regard is that if a legal investigation is dropped by the court system on a player then the League can conduct their own investigation. Is this true or not? I am of the opinion they can if it falls within the scope of the bylaws.

And for the record I’m not the one who thinks because a case is adjudicated and dropped it has found someone innocent.
You're still not understanding, Zeke's investigation was dropped because their wasn't probable cause which is stronger evidense that nothing happened than if they have the evidence to get to trial. Good grief, it's not that complicated. Probable cause is a far lower burden to prove than beyond a reasonable doubt.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
You're still not understanding, Zeke's investigation was dropped because their wasn't probable cause which is stronger evidense that nothing happened than if they have the evidence to get to trial. Good grief, it's not that complicated. Probable cause is a far lower burden to prove than beyond a reasonable doubt.
But still it was dropped and not completed by the legal system as to guilt or innocence so my point was that to my knowledge the league then had a right to do their own investigation since the there was no actual final determination of guilt or innocence from the other investigation. Whether the league should have done so is an individual preference I suppose but I think they had a right to do so. That’s all I am saying.

the only other point I was trying to make from the original response to Genghis was that I don’t believe I have seen any case that was being handled by a courts criminal/civil proceedings and finalized where the league tried to do their own investigation to overturn the original outcome.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Jeez. If only we had a lawyer here who could explain things, LT wouldn’t have to try so hard to get CRock to understand.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Jeez. If only we had a lawyer here who could explain things, LT wouldn’t have to try so hard to get CRock to understand.
Why don’t you clear it all up since you seem to have a handle on everything?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Simple yes or no, did the league have the right to investigate Elliot?
They have the right to investigate anyone. Even if there is no evidence. The comissioner basically has the authority to do whatever he wants even if his investigator (which was the case with Zeke) finds no evidence of wrong doing. Has nothing to do with the criminal justice system even if they investigate and a person is tried and found not guilty.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
This isn’t the point. The legal process didn't go to the point of proving anything. The point is that the NFL decided to do their own investigation and in doing so were not going against any legal proceedings because the there were none. The fact that the prosecution decided to drop the case didn’t establish guilt or innocence. It was simply hot pursued as a legal matter by the courts. It’s a legal non event, but the League pursued their investigation to a determination. Both had legal standing but one discontinued their process.
So, the Mueller report didn’t establish innocent or guilt, so is Trump innocent or guilty?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
They have the right to investigate anyone. Even if there is no evidence. The comissioner basically has the authority to do whatever he wants even if his investigator (which was the case with Zeke) finds no evidence of wrong doing. Has nothing to do with the criminal justice system even if they investigate and a person is tried and found not guilty.
This is correct and is what is the problem. They have carte blanche when it comes to discipline. Zeke was innocent in the eyes of the law, yet given a six game suspension with very little evidence to support him being guilty. Hill had some fairly damning evidence against him and he gets nothing. Somehow, LT thinks one case is independent of each other, I guess. I can’t otherwise explain why he is saying stupid stuff like “Well, he wasn’t proven innocent so he should be seen as guilty in the eyes of the NFL.”

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
It wasn’t me that said it had anything to do with the Criminal justice system. Others were making that contention in that they closed the case therefore he was innocent.

Top Bottom