2019 Coaching Carousel Thread

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Dirk Koetter fired by Buccaneers

Posted by Josh Alper on December 30, 2018, 7:24 PM EST

Dirk Koetter seemed to know his time with the Buccaneers was up on Sunday and he has now reportedly been informed of his firing.

Koetter has been fired after three years as the team’s head coach. Koetter was 19-29 during his time in Tampa.

“"We sincerely appreciate the hard work and commitment shown by Dirk over the past several years,” Buccaneers owner Joel Glazer said in a statement. “Working with Dirk has been a pleasure and we wish him and his family all the best in the future. Our search for a new head coach will begin immediately and will be conducted by General Manager Jason Licht.”"

Licht running the search answers the question about his own job security.

Koetter got the job after serving as Lovie Smith’s offensive coordinator in Smith’s final year in Tampa. The hope was that Koetter would develop Jameis Winston into a quarterback that would lead the Bucs back to being a consistent playoff contender, but he went 5-11 in back-to-back seasons after just missing the playoffs in his first year on the job.

The Bucs are expected to keep Winston, so Koetter’s replacement will be charged with the same task once he’s on the job.
--------------

Arians is considered a likely guy for Tampa. Might work.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Glazer saying Lewis is out

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Vance Joseph fired

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

I think he'd be a great fit in Tampa if they are trying to salvage Winston.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Uh oh.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Make him the DC, and if we don't win the SB hire him as the HC.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Would you give up a draft pick for him? Cause the Bucs might have to since he’s still under contract with AZ.
They would just need to get permission since he retired. Now Harbaugh would cost a draft pick since he is still active and under contract.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah with this many head coaching vacancies and him being a minority coach I'm sure he will get some sniffs. For him personally it must feel pretty good to go from unwanted in Seattle to being a potential head coach after only one year. I don't want him to go anywhere though. I think he may be the teams best coach period.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Glazer saying Lewis is out
Didn't they fool us last year? I won't believe Marvin Lewis has been fired until the Bengals report to training camp next summer. If he's not with the team, then I'll finally accept this report. Until then...FAKE NEWS!!!

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
As unimaginative and uncreative the league is I expect a ton of bad hires to happen. The Retreads should have a great time ramping up those retirement funds though.

Top Bottom