ESPN: Ten ways the NFL has changed under Roger Goodell

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Cant enjoy a respite from reality playing a boy's game without racism, domestic violence, cancer/disease, justice system being discussed.
This crap has always been happening, but now there's 10000 more media outlets reporting it.

I just focus on the game and the reports that are actually football-related.

The sport itself is in many ways better than ever. QB's can actually throw a damned deep ball because they practice their asses off to do it. WR's seem to make greater and greater catches every year. OL and DL play becomes more sophisticated with every new gimmick coordinators design.

Offenses get off more plays (and give us more football) because they are better prepared.

Defenders are actually taught technique and safe tackling instead of randomly hurling their bodies around. It improves the quality of kids' play which only secures the NFL's future.
I can't wait for the day when Claiborneesque low tackles or the Roy Williams shoulder bumps become relics.

The only thing I dislike is the decline of the great running back, and I think that might be related to faster DL, LB's and DB's making it harder for a single back to remain durable.

data

Forbes #1
We differ. Yards and points come cheap. Feels arena league. Most damning is that this transition is contrived and cheap because it's a scheme to widen appeal.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
We differ. Yards and points come cheap. Feels arena league. Most damning is that this transition is contrived and cheap because it's a scheme to widen appeal.
I agree. They are slowly legislating defense out of the game.

Also, the reason that WRs make all those ridiculous catches is due to the gloves. Thanks to today's ultra-tacky WR gloves just about any Joe Blow receiver out there can pull off one-handed catches.

I can understand legislating out the excessive hits to the head but other than that I thought the game was perfectly fine the way it was played in the 80's and 90's.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I agree. They are slowly legislating defense out of the game.

Also, the reason that WRs make all those ridiculous catches is due to the gloves. Thanks to today's ultra-tacky WR gloves just about any Joe Blow receiver out there can pull off one-handed catches.

I can understand legislating out the excessive hits to the head but other than that I thought the game was perfectly fine the way it was played in the 80's and 90's.
Remember when the sticky spray was illegal? Now they just make the sticky spray into the glove and it's okay.

Top Bottom