ESPN: Ten ways the NFL has changed under Roger Goodell

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Ten ways the NFL has changed under Roger Goodell

3:58 PM CT
Kevin Seifert

NFL owners promoted Roger Goodell to the commissioner's job 10 years ago today, a move that recognized Goodell's lifelong devotion to the league and was meant as a signal of approval for the status quo.

His tenure, however, has not simply carried on the legacies of his predecessors. Goodell's NFL is far different from the one Paul Tagliabue and Pete Rozelle presided over. His vision is unique and his methods distinctive, even if they represent simply an educated approximation of what his bosses prefer.

Here, then, are 10 ways the NFL has changed under Goodell's leadership -- one for each year.

1. Gauche obsession with revenues

The NFL was always a for-profit business, but its attempts to grow revenues have intensified noticeably over the past 10 years. During a 2010 owners meeting, Goodell famously set a goal to achieve $25 billion in annual revenues by 2025. At the time, the league was taking in about $8 billion per year. Forbes magazine has projected its current revenues at more than $13 billion. Most significant league decisions in Goodell's tenure can be viewed through this prism, whether it is more London games or choosing the Rams for Los Angeles or adding a Thursday night schedule or advocating for the replacement of 25-year-old stadiums. (The Georgia Dome, opened in 1992, will give way to the $1.4 billion Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta next year.) To be fair to Goodell, this approach likely matches the aggression of his bosses, whose franchises are valued at many multiples of what they were worth just a decade ago. They expect big returns.

2. A true corporation

The NFL isn't among the largest companies in America, but its outsized public presence under Goodell has given it many of the same characteristics. It has a highly paid CEO; Goodell has received $142 million since 2011 alone. It has organized a lobbying arm in Washington to advocate for its interests in Congress, led first by Cynthia Hogan and now by Nicole Gustafson, a longtime congressional aide. (The NFL spent $1.2 million in lobbying in 2014, twice as much as MLB, the NBA and the NHL combined, and its Gridiron Political Action Committee raised $900,000.) And under Goodell, the NFL was willing to spend enough in legal fees to outlast a class-action lawsuit brought by thousands of players who held the league responsible for their declining health, specifically as it related to concussions, and crafted what legal analysts say is a favorable settlement. More recently, Goodell reorganized the league's public relations department by hiring powerhouse executive Joe Lockhart -- once the press secretary under President Bill Clinton -- to ramp up its messaging. Goodell's NFL now behaves like a big business in most every way imaginable.

3. Incremental recognition of concussions

In a relative sense, the NFL has made significant strides in concussion policy since Goodell's 2006 promotion. Even then, treatment of NFL head injuries took place in the wild west, a time when (conscious) players decided whether they should return to a game after a head injury. And to be frank, the issue did not appear to be a high priority until Goodell was grilled at a 2009 congressional hearing about the league's refusal to acknowledge a connection between brain injuries and football. Since then, the league has formalized protocol for diagnosing concussions, treating them and returning players to the field. Independent neurologists now stand on game-day sidelines and work with a medical spotter in the press box. This summer, the league established a discipline schedule for teams that don't follow the policy. Rules designed to minimize hits to, or with, the head have had a positive effect. The approach is far from perfect, and motivated players can still find a way to play with a concussion. But any objective observer would agree the league's attitude toward concussions and head injuries is better now than it was in 2006.

4. Deep and flawed discipline

Goodell has made player discipline one of his top priorities, elevating fine totals and suspension lengths for violations of the personal conduct policy. He has also drawn criticism for his unwillingness to allow a true third party to arbitrate discipline appeals. But he will struggle to steer his permanent legacy away from Spygate, Deflategate and Bountygate. Two procedural questions and one rumor grew into a trio of scandals, mostly because of Goodell's heavy and blemished investigations. When they were over, we had almost no verified evidence of what was alleged to have happened. Did the New England Patriots deflate game footballs in the 2014 AFC Championship Game? Were the New Orleans Saints really running a system to reward players for injuring opponents? Did the Patriots film opponents' signals? (The NFL destroyed tapes that it said proved the video allegations.) Goodell was right in a sense. Part of his job is to assure the public that teams and players are following the rules and that the outcomes of games aren't fixed. But his expensive investigations never answered those questions to anyone's satisfaction. Instead, he drew the ire of multiple fan bases, players and some owners. In the long run, deep levels of public distrust can't be good for business.

5. Union acrimony

To say Goodell has sown a damaging relationship with players is to miss the larger story. He and the owners he serves are downright union busters compared to their predecessors. Goodell inherited a 19-year run of labor peace, but it now has become routine for the league and the NFL Players Association to litigate their differences. Recent NFLPA victories in court, along with the revelation that the league held back $100 million in revenues it was supposed to share with players, have heightened the distrust. Can players trust that Goodell and the owners will abide by the collective bargaining agreement (CBA) both sides signed in 2011? Not many do. But the hard-line approach hasn't just affected players. Remember the 2012 lockout of NFL referees? In an attempt to strike a more favorable deal, Goodell risked the credibility of the league by using unqualified replacement officials for three weeks. The lockout ended only after the disputed "Fail Mary" touchdown played out on national television, and the entire episode remains a deep stain on Goodell's résumé.

6. Lighter player workload

Not all of Goodell's edicts toward players have been negative, of course. During the 2011 CBA negotiations, he signed off on a new training structure that has dramatically lessened the mandatory obligations on players. Offseason conditioning now begins in the third week of April rather than early March (for teams with returning head coaches). Teams are allowed a maximum of 10 organized team activities (OTAs) over a three-week period and no more than six hours of work on those days. Training camp restrictions have all but eliminated traditional two-a-day practices, and teams are limited to 14 full-pads workouts during the regular season. Coaches hate it, of course, and bemoan the reduction in opportunities to drill fundamentals. But it has been a huge win for players, who gladly took on the additional responsibility for making up the missed training on their own.

7. Offseason tent poles erected

The NFL became a true year-round sport in the Goodell era. It had already begun moving that way by 2004, when the NFL Network began airing the scouting combine in February as well as a schedule release show in late April. Goodell pushed that effort into a higher gear by expanding the draft from a Saturday/Sunday affair to a three-day extravaganza, two of them in prime time. The start of free agency was pushed back from midnight to 4 p.m. ET, a time when far more people can watch televised specials, and the schedule release -- once distributed via fax -- has become a frenzied event. Another former news release, the Associated Press' annual player awards, are now announced during the prime-time NFL Honors show on the night before the Super Bowl. The NFL brand is so popular that no event is too minor to blow out.

8. International shift

Goodell shuttered the money-losing NFL Europe in 2007 and replaced it with a plan to increase promotion of the stateside NFL through marketing and an increased number of overseas games. This year, the NFL will stage three games in London at two different stadiums and a fourth in Mexico City. All are sold out. There have been discussions about future games in Brazil, Germany and China. While the league has not given up on the possibility of a franchise in London, logistics could morph such a scenario into a "virtual franchise," whereby a rotation of teams plays a total of eight regular-season games there. One way or the other, though, Goodell has followed through on his pledge to prioritize international growth.

9. Savagery decreased

The NFL remains a violent, savage and, for many players, debilitating game. But under Goodell, it has become a little less so. Via nearly 50 rule changes in his tenure, Goodell has restricted contact to quarterbacks, instituted stiff penalties for most instances of contact to the head and pushed teams to teach safer shoulder-tackling techniques. Periodic emphasis on contact by pass defenders has opened up lanes for free-running receivers, increasing passing efficiency and growing fantasy football from a sideshow to a massive audience boost. Even Sunday night's fiasco at the Hall of Fame game could be viewed with an eye toward player safety. Would anyone have cared about the condition of the turf 10 years ago? The game is undeniably different than it was in 2006. I talked to a coach recently who acknowledged many players are frustrated with the changes. "But they have a choice," the coach said. "They can play it the old way, and football will be gone in five years, or they can play it the way it needs to be played for it to survive."

10. Los Angeles' penance

During its 21-year absence from Los Angeles, the NFL convinced 24 American municipalities to build new stadiums or perform near-full renovations on existing ones. The threat of relocation provided effective leverage and Goodell held out as long as possible. By the time he orchestrated the league's return earlier this year, only three stadium-needy teams remained. The Rams got the go-ahead to move for 2016. The Chargers have the option to join them for 2017 if they cannot secure a new stadium in San Diego. And if they do get a stadium there, the Oakland Raiders will have the next option in Los Angeles. Goodell and the owners used the Los Angeles market to its fullest capacity before finally returning.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Almost everything bad.
I really thought this article would spur some conversation. I guess everyone is just numb to his dumbassery.

dallen

Senior Tech
Almost everything bad.
None of that stuff makes the game any better for the fans, and most of it does nothing to improve the game for the players. I get the Commissioner works for the owners, but he is also responsible for the overall health of the league. Exploiting 2/3's of the triangle isn't sustainable.

data

Forbes #1
What's a catch? Depends on your definition of a football move. It's like a puzzle within a puzzle.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
1. It's worse
2. It's worse
10. It's worse

data

Forbes #1
Draft day format needs return to Sat/Sun and fix definition of catch. All else I can forgive

DLK150

DCC 4Life
His seemingly random assignment of penalties is what irks me as much as anything, that and he has a quite punchable face. I wasn't the biggest fan of Tagliabue but he was a far better commish than this clown and Tagliabue was a downgrade from Rozelle, at least in my opinion.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
As a fan my biggest complaint is that too much emphasis has been placed on making money and there hasn't been enough done to make the game better.

Obviously it's a business so I don't fault them for making decisions to increase revenue but I do think many of those business decisions that have been made are detrimental to the players, the game, and the fans.

For instance, the ridiculous amount of Thursday night games. I think those games are generally less entertaining and sloppier than the games played on Sunday and Monday. In this instance fans are treated to a sub par product and the players only have 3 recovery days between games.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
As a fan my biggest complaint is that too much emphasis has been placed on making money and there hasn't been enough done to make the game better.

Obviously it's a business so I don't fault them for making decisions to increase revenue but I do think many of those business decisions that have been made are detrimental to the players, the game, and the fans.

For instance, the ridiculous amount of Thursday night games. I think those games are generally less entertaining and sloppier than the games played on Sunday and Monday. In this instance fans are treated to a sub par product and the players only have 3 recovery days between games.
It's an endless cycle. Owners make money,union demands via contract negotiations a share. Owners find ways to make more to offset the contract costs and viola! Unions demand more. And on it goes.

1bigfan13

Staff member
It's an endless cycle. Owners make money,union demands via contract negotiations a share. Owners find ways to make more to offset the contract costs and viola! Unions demand more. And on it goes.
The biggest problem with the NFLPA is their players make so little money compared to the other major sports that they're usually not in a position to stage a long term players strike. I'd bet that well over half the league couldn't afford to miss more than 2 or 3 game checks.

So with that being the case, the owners, who are all billionaires, can simply call their bluff and wait them out because they have the resources to sustain even without revenue coming in from the NFL.

And as long as players' salaries stay relatively low the NFLPA will continue to get smashed in labor disputes. As you said, it's a cycle.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The biggest problem with the NFLPA is their players make so little money compared to the other major sports that they're usually not in a position to stage a long term players strike. I'd bet that well over half the league couldn't afford to miss more than 2 or 3 game checks.

So with that being the case, the owners, who are all billionaires, can simply call their bluff and wait them out because they have the resources to sustain even without revenue coming in from the NFL.

And as long as players' salaries stay relatively low the NFLPA will continue to get smashed in labor disputes. As you said, it's a cycle.
Rookie minimum is $435,000.00 per year. If a player who has been in the league for even a year can't afford to miss 2 or 3 checks then he has some serious financial planning problems. Especially for the players near the bottom of the league. If you're making the minimum you should know you are a heartbeat from no longer being in the league and should be saving every penny of that.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Under Goodell the league has become way too litigious, everything from the overly complicated rules to the Brady fiasco, and the worst part of it all is that the league is so smug and self-assured that they are always correct, even when everybody knows they're wrong.

Throw in the over the top marketing and the pandering to fantasy players and it really is extremely annoying.

I've always been one to ignore all the pre-game bullshit shows and just flip the TV on at about 12:50 PM but now I'm even less inclined to consume all the shit they shovel at fans.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Rookie minimum is $435,000.00 per year. If a player who has been in the league for even a year can't afford to miss 2 or 3 checks then he has some serious financial planning problems. Especially for the players near the bottom of the league. If you're making the minimum you should know you are a heartbeat from no longer being in the league and should be saving every penny of that.
To you and I that's a lot of money but we all know that most of these guys burn through that money quickly. Hell, Trent Richardson was just on TV the other day talking about how he's broke because his family burned through about $1.5 million dollars. Mature over 30 guys like you and I can make that $435K last but a large number of that 29 and under crowd are going to burn through a lot of their money buying stupid shit or trying to prop up every member of their family and entourage.

All in all I do agree with you that it's a personal responsibility to make that money last but as I mentioned, we all know most of those guys don't have the self-discipline to properly budget that $435K. The players' union even sends notices to these guys to save their money in preparation for work stoppages yet when push comes to shove and it's time to threaten a players strike you'll still see a number of guys grumbling about how they can't afford to strike.

Last edited:

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
To you and I that's a lot of money but we all know that most of these guys burn through that money quickly. Hell, Trent Richardson was just on TV the other day talking about how he's broke because his family burned through about $1.5 million dollars. Mature over 30 guys like you and can make that $435K last but a large number of that 29 and under crowd are going to burn through a lot of their money buying stupid shit or trying to prop up every member of their family and entourage.

All in all I do agree with you that it's a personal responsibility to make that money last but as I mentioned, we all know most of those guys don't have the self-discipline to properly budget that $435K. The players' union even sends notices to these guys to save their money in preparation for work stoppages yet when push comes to shove and it's time to threaten a players strike you'll still see a number of guys grumbling about how they can't afford to strike.
Yea most of them are idiots and blow through the money like it's nothing.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yea most of them are idiots and blow through the money like it's nothing.
Well that's probably true but I tend to think those guys are actually the ones with bigger contracts. I think most of the undrafted rookie types making 450K are probably a little more humbled.

data

Forbes #1
Overall, the game just isn't as fun anymore. Seemingly everything has controversy around it or has the palpable stench of money-grubbing hands rubbing together.

Cant enjoy a respite from reality playing a boy's game without racism, domestic violence, cancer/disease, justice system being discussed.

Fantasy football may be the only thing pure about the game anymore and even that's been tainted by Fan Duel, Draft Kings, etc.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Overall, the game just isn't as fun anymore. Seemingly everything has controversy around it or has the palpable stench of money-grubbing hands rubbing together.

Cant enjoy a respite from reality playing a boy's game without racism, domestic violence, cancer/disease, justice system being discussed.
The game feels way over officiated as well. It's like you can't go two seconds without a penalty. I understand making sure everyone is playing fair but the NFL is cheapened when games are being decided by officials calls.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
To you and I that's a lot of money but we all know that most of these guys burn through that money quickly. Hell, Trent Richardson was just on TV the other day talking about how he's broke because his family burned through about $1.5 million dollars. Mature over 30 guys like you and can make that $435K last but a large number of that 29 and under crowd are going to burn through a lot of their money buying stupid shit or trying to prop up every member of their family and entourage.

So player stupidity is the big offender here? Then I conclude that the reason for the money problems are the lack of money management skills of some players. You think I can sell this to the union? :art

1bigfan13

Staff member
The game feels way over officiated as well. It's like you can't go two seconds without a penalty. I understand making sure everyone is playing fair but the NFL is cheapened when games are being decided by officials calls.
Even during last night's Patriots-Saints game there was one of those controversial "was it a catch" moments. We couldn't even get through the 1st quarter of the preseason w/o that confusing catch rule coming into play. I and the commentators thought for sure that it wasn't a catch but the officials ruled it a catch.

Top Bottom