Mortensen: Owners want Goodell role modified

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Owners want Goodell role modified
Updated: October 12, 2014, 12:36 PM ET
By Chris Mortensen | ESPN

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell and NFL Players Association chief DeMaurice Smith will both be present when the two sides meet Tuesday in New York to discuss how to handle player personal conduct incidents.

One concept that emerged from the league meetings Wednesday is that several owners want Goodell's role to be modified so that the commissioner would not decide on the initial player punishment but rather yield to a neutral arbitration panel chosen by the union and league, a source said.

The twist: Goodell would be the appellate officer or appoint a designated hearing officer if a player appeals his disciplinary action administered by the panel, sources told ESPN.

Union sources sounded dubious about the idea and said that modifying the personal conduct policy and process requires collective bargaining. The sources added that a collective bargaining approach would bring owners to the negotiation table, something the NFLPA would prefer on the player conduct issue.

As far as his role in the ongoing Ray Rice case, NFL attorneys declined the NFLPA's request to have Goodell testify in front of U.S. District Judge Barbara S. Jones, who is hearing and deciding the appeal of Rice's indefinite suspension, a source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

It doesn't mean Goodell won't testify, as Jones could compel him to do so. But the last thing the NFL wants, sources told Schefter, is to have Goodell's word matched up against Rice's, who has told people he told the commissioner nothing but the truth.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
As long as Comrade Goodell is no longer judge, jury, and executioner, I'm all for it. His blatant abuse of power and total inconsistency with respect to his punishments need to stop.

DontCryWolfe

DCC 4Life
As long as Comrade Goodell is no longer judge, jury, and executioner, I'm all for it. His blatant abuse of power and total inconsistency with respect to his punishments need to stop.
Things are getting to the point that they almost need a complete overhaul of of their punishment system. I mean, when Vontaze Burfict is getting fined 25k for deliberately trying to injure players, and Jimmy Graham is getting fined 30k for a goalpost dunk, something is wrong. Something has been wrong. But of course, the league knew what they were doing when they assigned some NFL patsy to conduct an "investigation", banking on the fact that the season would get going, and everyone would forget.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
It will be much easier on Goodell and 10x more fair and consistent for the players. Seems like a no-brainer to me. Leave it to DeMaurice Smith to try and get a higher percentage out of something like this.

Top Bottom