Students say Rob Bironas threatened them before his crash

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Report: Students say Rob Bironas threatened them before his crash
By Josh Katzowitz | NFL Writer
September 23, 2014 12:25 pm ET

A day after it was reported that a couple told a 911 dispatcher that Rob Bironas tried to run them off the road shortly before his deadly car crash last weekend, another person has come forward to say that Bironas put them in danger that night as well.

A Belmont University student told the Tennessean that Bironas threatened to kill he and three other vehicle passengers and tried to sideswipe their truck during a confrontation. This apparently was before Bironas encountered the first couple who accused the former Titans punter of trying to run them off the road before he flipped his white SUV.

Connor Fraley, 20, said he and three other Belmont students were driving behind Bironas when they smelled something burning from his vehicle.

“His window was down, and we pulled up and I said, “Hey man, just a heads up, something's burning from your exhaust. Your exhaust smells horrible, just wanted to let you know," Fraley said he told Bironas. “He looked over at me and said, 'I'm going to kill everybody in your (expletive) vehicle.' It was so random, so bizarre I was like, 'What?' And he said the exact same thing again.”

Fraley said Bironas then followed them, and even though the driver of the Ford F-150 in which the students were riding had sped up, Bironas kept pace with them and tried to hit the side of their truck.

“The girls in the back seat were starting to freak out because he was swerving on the road in between lanes, all over the place.'' Fraley said. “We had no idea who he was and why he was trying to harm us. It was a fight or flight situation and, unfortunately, we had to take flight at about 110 miles per hour. It was very scary.”

Eventually, the students got away from Bironas, while Fraley was on the phone with a 911 dispatcher.

More from the newspaper:

The next morning, Fraley said his roommate texted him a photo of Bironas. He said he contacted a police dispatcher again on Sunday morning but was hung up on.

“As soon as I saw that face,'' he said. “I know for a fact that it was Rob Bironas in that vehicle chasing us.”

Fraley said he got chills when he heard the 911 call from another woman who told police Saturday evening the white SUV tried to run her and her husband off the road after a road rage incident in the same area.

Here's a recording of that 911 call.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I know it was a serious situation, but the "He gave us a mean look" on the 911 call made me laugh.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Witnesses say Rob Bironas was enraged moments before his death

Posted by Michael David Smith on September 23, 2014, 2:01 PM EDT

We still don’t know exactly what transpired just before former Titans kicker Rob Bironas died in a single-car accident on Saturday night. But new information gleaned from 911 calls and witness statements raise questions about what was going on with Bironas in the hours before he died.

The Tennessean has obtained 911 calls and statements from witnesses that suggest that Bironas was involved in some kind of road-rage incident with multiple other cars.

A student named Connor Fraley says he was a passenger in a truck that Bironas nearly hit. Fraley says he and the others in the truck smelled something burning coming from Bironas’s SUV and pulled up next to him to alert him to it, and that Bironas replied with an angry threat.

“His window was down, and we pulled up and I said, ‘Hey man, just a heads up, something’s burning from your exhaust. Your exhaust smells horrible, just wanted to let you know,”’ Fraley told the Tennessean. “He looked over at me and said ‘I’m going to kill everybody in your [expletive] vehicle. It was so random, so bizarre I was like, ‘What?’ And he said the exact same thing again.”

In a separate incident, a woman told a 911 dispatcher that another driver — later identified as Bironas — tried to run the vehicle in which she and her and her husband were traveling off the road. That woman thought Bironas might have been drunk, although police say there is no evidence that alcohol played a role in the crash.

“He is dangerous, he is drunk or something. He tried to start a fight with us,” the woman said of Bironas on the 911 call. “My husband ran down there to see what is going on. I just want to tell the police there is something wrong with him. He is dangerous, he is drunk or he is on drugs. There is something wrong with him. He gave us a mean look. We don’t even know him, and he tried to run us off the road.”

Bironas died after his SUV hit several trees at around 11 p.m. on Saturday. It is unclear where Bironas was going, but his wife had called police to report him missing. Rachel Bradshaw, the wife of Bironas and daughter of Hall of Famer Terry Bradshaw, said she assumed her husband was in bed asleep at around 10:30 p.m. but called police when she went to their bedroom and found him missing. She said there had been nothing wrong, the couple had not been arguing and it was unusual for him to leave home without saying anything.

The Titans released Bironas this offseason after nine seasons with the team. There had been no reports of anything wrong in Bironas’s life, and he was reportedly eager to continue his NFL career. He had a tryout with the Lions last week.

Bironas, the NFL’s all-time record holder for field goals in a game, was 36.
----------------------------

If they rule out alcohol, makes you wonder if there was some other reason for him to behave strangely.

Blame Ambien. That shit makes people do weird shit.

He's a kicker, so that rules out concussion syndrome or some other crap.

Top Bottom