Cary Williams criticizes Eagles’ practice regimen

Carp

DCC 4Life
In comments remarkable for their timing (after a win moving Philadelphia to 3-0), their audience (the media) and their directness, Eagles cornerback Cary Williams was reportedly critical of the team’s practice regimen following the club’s 37-34 victory vs. Washington on Sunday.

According to Andy Schwartz of CSNPhilly.com, Williams said the club’s practices have left him worn down — and Williams indicated other players felt similarly.

“I’m not the only guy that feels burnt out. I’m just a guy that’s man enough to stand up for players and just say that we’re burnt out,” Williams said Sunday, per CSNPhilly.com. “My legs hurt. My legs were done in the fourth quarter. My legs were done in the third quarter. My legs were done before the game started.”

According to CSNPhilly.com, Williams suggested “you can’t continue to run your team into the ground and expect great results.” He also noted the Eagles didn’t get a rest day after the win at Indianapolis on Monday night. Per CSNPhilly.com, the Eagles ran last Tuesday.

Williams’ remarks are an unexpected controversy for coach Chip Kelly as Philadelphia turns its attention to next Sunday’s game at 1-2 San Francisco. However, Williams’ comments come with the Eagles atop the NFC East and having outscored opponents 74-24 in the second half.

Still, it’s possible Williams has made some valid points. Of course, it’s also possible his remarks were made in the heat of the moment after a long, demanding game. But Williams made the comments in the public forum in a robust media market, so there’s no getting away from them, and Kelly will surely be asked about them this week. Also, with Williams indicating other Eagles have similar feelings about the practices, it’s a given reporters will be asking his teammates what they think of the workouts. And Williams, surely, will be asked if he stands by his remarks. Here is a story that will spawn follow-up stories, for there are other questions to be asked now that wouldn’t have been pondered otherwise.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hopefully we see the fatigue set in for the Eagles as the season goes on.

That or we will see a team that is in far better physical condition then any other team. That is certainly what Chip Kelly's goal is.

Top Bottom