The Suspensions Thread...

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
NFL: No Johnson Suspension Yet

By Tim McManus | June 30, 2014 at 4:20 pm

Lane Johnson could be facing a suspension, but it hasn’t been handed down yet.

Paul Domowitch reported that the right tackle tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs and faces a four-game suspension.

When asked to confirm the report, and NFL spokesperson replied: "We have no information on him."

Does that mean no suspension has been handed down from the league?

"Correct."

Johnson is not necessarily out of the woods. Players typically learn of a positive test before the league office. It's possible, then, that his camp is aware of the failed drug test and it simply hasn't hit the league offices yet.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Too bad we play them too late in the year to face those combinations.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Depends, if he appeals the decision it could push the suspension back.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Depends, if he appeals the decision it could push the suspension back.
At best, midseason.

We play the Eagles in week 13 and 15.

That would be a hell of an appeal.

Hell, I would take it early. They play the Redskins, Colts, Jags and 49ers to start the season.

And that means they don't face Freeney or Aldon Smith. Pretty easy decision if you ask me.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member

Wouldn't matter. Every time the Cowboys face scrub/replacement OTs they end up making said OTs look like perennial All-Pros.

Oh wait, that was DeMarcus Ware circa 2012/2013.

Nevermind.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Man, I'd hate to see Jordan if he weren't on PEDs
Then watch the four or so games he played in last year.

Supposedly he showed up to minicamps like someone inflated him.

But hey, he's saying it was not steroids, but "banned stimulants".

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Tanard Jackson suspended indefinitely from league
Posted by Darin Gantt on July 9, 2014, 4:49 PM EDT

It was only a few days ago when Tanard Jackson was talking about making the most of his latest chance.

It didn’t last long, as the NFL announced that Jackson was suspended indefinitely for violating the league’s substance abuse policy.

Jackson had missed the last two seasons because of suspensions, and the Redskins had just brought him back this offseason when he was reinstated. It’s his fourth career suspension overall.

If he owned an NFL team, there would obviously be cries that he needed help. We’ll see if the reaction is as sympathetic for him after his multiple offenses.

-------------

:lol at the Redskins.

:laff

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Ray Rice was suspended two games plus a game check for knocking out his then fiancée.

22cowboysfan22

Brand New Member
Josh Gordon blames second hand smoke for his positive test. Seems like he might actually have a case, his test results were very low (his B sample was actually below the limit for a positive test and both samples were below the limit for a positive test in MLB, Olympics, etc). Either way, looks bad for the league that Gordon gets a year-long suspension for this and Ray Rice only gets 2 games.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Josh Gordon blames second hand smoke for his positive test. Seems like he might actually have a case, his test results were very low (his B sample was actually below the limit for a positive test and both samples were below the limit for a positive test in MLB, Olympics, etc). Either way, looks bad for the league that Gordon gets a year-long suspension for this and Ray Rice only gets 2 games.
The biggest difference is that drug related suspensions were collectively bargained. The personal conduct I believe was left up to Goodell.

Foobio

DCC 4Life
The biggest difference is that drug related suspensions were collectively bargained. The personal conduct I believe was left up to Goodell.
No doubt you're right, but what a disaster. First the bonehead press conference ("failure is not getting knocked down it's not getting up") and now this? Two games for severe domestic violence?

I dunno, between Jerry and Goodell I'm just kind of over this sport.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Reshad Jones suspended four games for violating PED policy

Posted by Mike Wilkening on August 8, 2014, 3:59 PM EDT

The Dolphins will be without one of their starting safeties to begin the 2014 regular season.

The club announced Friday that veteran Reshad Jones has been suspended four games for violating the NFL’s policy on performance-enhancing substances.

Jones can rejoin the club on Monday, September 29.

According to a statement released through the NFLPA, Jones indicated a “supplement” was the cause of the violation, but he took responsibility for the matter.

“I deeply regret not investigating the supplement carefully before I took it, and I will never again take a supplement without having it checked,” Jones said. “I am very sorry for the effect of my mistake on my teammates and coaches. I apologize to them, the Dolphins organization, and fans. During the time away from the team, I will participate in an intense training program so that I can help my team as soon as I return.”

The 26-year-old Jones started all 16 games in 2013 for Miami, notching a career-high 107 tackles. A Georgia product, Jones is entering his fifth NFL campaign.

Second-year pro Don Jones is listed as the top backup to Reshad Jones on the Dolphins’ depth chart.

Foobio

DCC 4Life
Hearing the backlash to the Ray Rice suspension, the NFL has reportedly had internal discussions about increasing the penalties for future cases of domestic violence. According to the Washington Post, the league has discussed a suspension of four to six game for a first offense and a potential year-long suspension for a second offense.

"We need to have stricter penalties," said one person with knowledge of the league's deliberations on the matter. "I think you will see that. I believe the commissioner and others would like to see stricter penalties. We need to be more vigilant."

That person said Goodell and the league "tried to stick with precedent" from previous NFL disciplinary measures when deciding on the length of Rice's suspension.

"A lot of us were disturbed by what we saw" in the Rice case, the person said. "I think you will see something in probably the next few weeks. A first offense could be four to six games, definitely more than two. A second offense might be a year."

Goodell, you'll recall defended the two-game suspension as consistent with precedent (while distinguishing from unhelpful precedent), so this is at least progress. Talks appear to be of the extremely preliminary variety; a second source told WaPo it wasn't clear if or when a new policy would be enacted. The NFLPA was not a party to the discussions, either.

Top Bottom