Gameday Chatter Thread |Cowboys v. Dolphins| - 8/4/13

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Cowboys sticking to the plan for Hall of Fame game

MIKE FISHER |

Published: Friday, August 02, 2013, 6:23pm

The Dallas Cowboys' position on playing quarterback Tony Romo and other first-teamers in Sunday's nationally televised Hall of Fame Game in Canton, Ohio was established in this space a week ago, coach Jason Garrett revealing in our exclusive interview that he might "lean to no plays'' for Romo.

"The clock starts on our '1's' (first-teamers) in Week 2 of the preseason,'' Garrett told me. "So that's not going to be Tony's game."

Garrett has been slow to make an official pronouncement. But more than a week ago, players were being informed of the plan. That continues to be the case as the club prepares to leave training camp in Oxnard, Calif., for this weekend's preseason opener.

The Cowboys play five preseason games this summer, the extra one being at the start of the schedule against the Dolphins in Canton – thus Garrett's concept of "the clock starting'' at what would be the start of a normal four-game preseason.

There is no indication that the consideration of scratching Romo is related to the offseason surgery to remove a cyst from his back, a procedure that prevented the quarterback from throwing until about six weeks ago. Romo has participated in all drills throughout camp, even as the club is monitoring his ramp-up toward the regular season by keeping a "pitch count" of sorts on his throws.

Meanwhile, the team's problems with offensive-line health, while troubling, have become an issue in the last few days – long after Garrett "leaned'' in the direction of keeping Romo off the field.

As Garrett told me then, this "Week Zero'' exhibition is "going to be a Nick Stephens game and an Alex Tanney game," mentioning the club's third- and fourth-stringers.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
You're a day early. Temper your excitement, homer.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
:lol

Was expecting to be told to go F myself.

Well played.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I think Larry Allen might be the only guy to do his HoF speech wearing sunglasses.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

You can tell this is tough on Larry Allen.

It might be the most prolonged conversation he has had in his entire life.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Crap. Wanted to see this but am on the road.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

You can tell this is tough on Larry Allen.

It might be the most prolonged conversation he has had in his entire life.
It was obviously not easy, but I think he did well.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I am extremely curious to see if Parcells mentions a damn thing about Jerry Jones.

Cotton

Staff member
Tim MacMahon ‏@espn_macmahon 10m
Larry Allen: "Once I benched 700 pounds, they tested me twice a week for the rest of my career." Big laugh.

This was my favorite line.

Cotton

Staff member

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Tim MacMahon ‏@espn_macmahon 10m
Larry Allen: "Once I benched 700 pounds, they tested me twice a week for the rest of my career." Big laugh.

This was my favorite line.
Two chickens, some French fries, a cake, and a 40 oz.

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
That was impressive speech... and I was good until he mentioned Teui, then I lost my shit :cry

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I love how the ticker says "Warren Sapp, Bill Parcells, and Cris Carter headline NFL Hall of Fame inductees."

Except Larry Allen was probably better at his job than all of them. And that is really saying something given the esteem in which I hold Bill Parcells, I think he's a top 5 coach all time.

Meaning Larry Allen is better than a top 5 guard, all time.

Top Bottom