Watkins: Cowboys dealing with banged up offensive line

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Cowboys dealing with banged up offensive line

August, 1, 2013

By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

OXNARD, Calif. -- Following the Cowboys' walkthrough practice Thursday, Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones expressed concern about the offensive line.

The Cowboys were missing starting left guard Nate Livings with knee soreness during the walkthrough, adding to an already crowded field of injured offensive linemen. Jones said the Cowboys will work out two young linemen Thursday.

"Of course, to have this many guys injured, that's why we're bringing guys in," Jones said. "We're not concerned for the long haul because we have (five) preseason games."

Right guard Kevin Kowalski is out two to four weeks with a bruised knee, right guard Mackenzy Bernadeau (hamstring) is out until maybe next week and guard Ray Dominguez (shoulder) and center/guard Ryan Cook (back) are out for an undetermined length of time. And now Livings' status is uncertain.

Heading into Sunday's preseason opener against the Miami Dolphins, the Cowboys have two healthy guards, David Arkin and Ronald Leary, and two centers who can play guard in rookie Travis Frederick and Phil Costa.

"We're going to play the guys that are available to play and probably play some of the younger guys," coach Jason Garrett said. "We haven't had those specific conversations about the exact playing time that each of these guys are going to have in this game."

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Can't wait to cut these two jackasses, Brian Waters has never really looked better honestly.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Cowboys concerned about O-line injuries, will work out two prospects today

With guard Nate Livings missing practice Thursday because of knee soreness, the Cowboys are down to just four healthy players at guard and center going into Sunday's preseason opener against the Dolphins.

It's such a concern to the Cowboys that they are working out two offensive lineman today in hopes of signing them to contracts.

"We are worried of course," vice president Stephen Jones said. "Having this many guys injured, that's why we are bringing guys in every time you turn around.

"We are not concerned for the long haul. But it's concerning because we got to play preseason games."

Jones said the Cowboys are concentrating on young players right now but would not rule out bringing in a veteran guard prospect at some point.

"We got our eyes on every thing that will help our football team," Jones said. "But no one in particular."

The list of healthy interior players the Cowboys had a practice on Thursday morning were centers Travis Frederick and Phil Costa and guards Ronald Leary and David Arkin.

Sidelined along with Livings are: guard Kevin Kowalski (knee), center Ryan Cook (back), guard Ray Dominguez (shoulder) and guard Mackenzy Bernadeau, who has been on the physically unable to perform list since the start of camp with a hamstring injury.

Clarence Hill

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Can't wait to cut these two jackasses, Brian Waters has never really looked better honestly.
We aren't going to cut anybody. Just sign more schlub bodies to flesh out the roster for the next five weeks.

THE ROSTER IS SET!

Bob Roberts

Professor StinkFinger
We joke, but they are pathologically against bringing in anyone they don't already have some history with when an injury hits.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I love how this team only ever worries about a problem when it gets to the point of dire emergency.

They were the Iraqi Minister of Propoganda up until now (about both the offensive and defensive lines).

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Are you guessing? Not joking? #gotsource

If true, feh. Anyone the Colts don't want doesn't interest me.
Eh, I'd at least find it interesting. He was considered a decent 6th round pick.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
We joke, but they are pathologically against bringing in anyone they don't already have some history with when an injury hits.
It's yet another perfect example of how bad our talent evaluation is.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Sunday night should be interesting. I'm not expecting much from our first group as far as run blocking is concerned but hopefully they look classically decent on passing downs.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Sunday night should be interesting. I'm not expecting much from our first group as far as run blocking is concerned but hopefully they look classically decent on passing downs.
I'm expecting two things from this team on Sunday:

1. Nothing.
2. A lot of it.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I'm expecting two things from this team on Sunday:

1. Nothing.
2. A lot of it.
I have a real feeling all of these practice report heroes will be completely invisible against another team.

Top Bottom