Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Marinelli Can Already Tell How Special Ware Can Be In 4-3

Posted 31 minutes ago

Rowan Kavner
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

OXNARD, Calif.
– The one-on-one drills and team drills during training camp have turned into one gigantic DeMarcus Ware highlight reel.

Ware’s explosiveness early in camp has been on full display. He’s demonstrated he’s finally healthy after dealing with a plethora of upper body and arm injuries at the end of last season.
The tremendous play of the converted outside linebacker has already allowed defensive line coach Rod Marinelli compare Ware to some of the best players he’s ever coached.

“He’s special,” Marinelli said. “I’ve been around special. I’ve had that, and he’s special. Now it’s just a day-to-day grind of fundamentals so we can give him playing as fast as he can play every down. That’s a process right now you go through.”Julius Peppers and Simeon Rice are among the many talented defensive linemen Marinelli’s seen throughout his coaching career. Peppers, who was with Marinelli in Chicago, has 111.5 career sacks. Rice, who played for Marinelli in Tampa Bay, finished his career with 122.

Marinelli said, like Ware, Peppers hadn’t played the same style he wanted from his linemen when he first arrived in Chicago.

“Then when it hits, oh man, now you’re using these men’s abilities,” Marinelli said. “Same with (Anthony) Spencer, we’ll be using his ability. It’s all drill work, it’s keys, it’s run and pass keys. The best way to describe it, tedious repetitions of the simplest, simplest movements, over and over so we develop the habits you need to play this game. If a man always has a foundation to stand on, the ups and downs in a game, you go back to your fundamentals.”

Once those fundamentals become second nature, Marinelli has no doubt Ware will continue to get better. He’s already one of the best players Marinelli’s ever coached.

“I’ve had Simeon Rice and Julius Peppers and guys that came into this system, and this guy’s really a rock,” Marinelli said. “This guy’s a special pass rusher, bright. I couldn’t be more excited, and with Spence, really excited about those guys.”

Last edited:

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
This is the epitome of fluff articles.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Wouldn't some beastly sack mania be a welcomed sight around here? I know I would seriously dig that.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
All the news on Ware so far this year has been extremely positive. It doesn't sound like the transition to 4-3 DE is going to slow him at all. Of course that doesn't mean the injuries won't catch up with him eventually this year but so far so good.

Spencer and Ware could be an elite DE duo this year. Who is behind them is scary.

Lotuseater

Banned
All the news on Ware so far this year has been extremely positive. It doesn't sound like the transition to 4-3 DE is going to slow him at all. Of course that doesn't mean the injuries won't catch up with him eventually this year but so far so good.

Spencer and Ware could be an elite DE duo this year. Who is behind them is scary.
I don't give 2 shits about sacks. I want pressures. Those lead to turnovers. I think the best defenses are the ones who bring actual pressures, qb-hurries. Turnover city.

If we had historically low sack totals while breaking records for pressures and hurries, I'd be ecstatic.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I don't give 2 shits about sacks. I want pressures. Those lead to turnovers. I think the best defenses are the ones who bring actual pressures, qb-hurries. Turnover city.

If we had historically low sack totals while breaking records for pressures and hurries, I'd be ecstatic.
You should care about sacks because they change field position and put the other team in long yardage situations that can lead to turnovers as well.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

If you're getting sacks, it's a pretty safe bet that you're getting pressure even when you aren't getting sacks.

I would say that I don't give a shit about Ware's sacks, because we need sacks from both sides, and it would be great to see a guy like Hatcher get that pressure up the middle, too. Seems they're putting all their hopes into Ben Bass covering for Ratliff's gimp ass. Not having any depth is gonna be the death of this old ass DL though, and that's when the wheels fall off this defense.

Lotuseater

Banned
You should care about sacks because they change field position and put the other team in long yardage situations that can lead to turnovers as well.
I'll put it this way then, if it has to be one or the other, I'll take the pressure and hurry-ups over sacks. I think sacks are one of the most overrated defensive team stats there is.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
If you're getting sacks, it's a pretty safe bet that you're getting pressure even when you aren't getting sacks.

I would say that I don't give a shit about Ware's sacks, because we need sacks from both sides, and it would be great to see a guy like Hatcher get that pressure up the middle, too. Seems they're putting all their hopes into Ben Bass covering for Ratliff's gimp ass. Not having any depth is gonna be the death of this old ass DL though, and that's when the wheels fall off this defense.

Yeah this is about the point my boner starts going down...its nice to read about how great Ware is going to be, but we see it year in, year out. The only real pressure comes from the outside. Teams adjust, and since there's no threat in the middle, the QB still has all day to throw.

I think a more simple way to say it is...FUCK YOU Jerry Jones.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
An incomplete pass or pass defended is almost as good as a sack. Pressure causes all kinds of goodness.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester

An incomplete pass or pass defended is almost as good as a sack. Pressure causes all kinds of goodness.
In case you guys haven't been watching the last few seasons, we've been the kings of the "almost" sack and yet that hasn't helped us generate any turnovers since we consistently rank near the bottom in that category.

So since it's clear that our pressures aren't leading to the mistakes you guys are referring to, I'd rather just have more sacks than pressures since they actually do matter.

As Carp said, give me the turnover on downs, change in field positions, stalled drive, etc.....over the pressures that have led to nothing.

Lotuseater

Banned
In case you guys haven't been watching the last few seasons, we've been the kings of the "almost" sack and yet that hasn't helped us generate any turnovers since we consistently rank near the bottom in that category.

So since it's clear that our pressures aren't leading to the mistakes you guys are referring to, I'd rather just have more sacks than pressures since they actually do matter.

As Carp said, give me the turnover on downs, change in field positions, stalled drive, etc.....over the pressures that have led to nothing.
Yes, that's been the case. This team just couldn't take advantage on the back end because they usually had 4 or 5 guys back there who didn't play the ball well. Newman, Hamlin, Ball, Sensabaugh, Scandrick, McCray, R. Williams...... secondary players off the top of my head who were sub par playing the ball in the air, even in college. The emphasis wasn't on turnovers.

Now I believe they have shifted philosophies on secondary players. These are all ballhawks and the shift to the 4-3 should help also. THIS year with these players? Give me those pressures again and I bet its a whole different ballgame.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life

When the defense stops an opposing drive, it's up to the offense to get more than a FG.

This defense is small and old so it needs to stop teams early and fast while the offense builds a lead. Then the D can pin their ears back, like all those Indy defenses of the 2000's.

But if the offense is ineffective early, can't run at all, and furiously scores in catchup mode it puts the defense on the field too long and in bad situations.

The turnovers you're talking about happen most when the opposing offense is forced to play out of their comfort zone (stretch pass patterns, scrap the run, go to shotgun) to catch up. Ironically that's the mode Dallas' own offense was in most of the time.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Part of the key is going to be getting pressure without bringing 5 or more guys. If you want to know why the Bears get so many turnovers, it is because they are able to consistently rush the passer with only 4 guys. In the past we have struggled to get consistent pressure rushing only four guys, and when you are forced to blitz to get that pressure then you leave your secondary vulnerable and are less likely to get picks. On the other hand this year when we rush 4 guys, it will always include Spencer and Ware. Something you saw far less often in our 3-4 defense.

If we want consistent pressure this year our DTs will have to do more then just hang out at the line of scrimmage.

Lotuseater

Banned
Part of the key is going to be getting pressure without bringing 5 or more guys. If you want to know why the Bears get so many turnovers, it is because they are able to consistently rush the passer with only 4 guys. In the past we have struggled to get consistent pressure rushing only four guys, and when you are forced to blitz to get that pressure then you leave your secondary vulnerable and are less likely to get picks. On the other hand this year when we rush 4 guys, it will always include Spencer and Ware. Something you saw far less often in our 3-4 defense.

If we want consistent pressure this year our DTs will have to do more then just hang out at the line of scrimmage.
Ill say it again, this defense is going to be very good. The DTs will step up and Ware will have a career year, watch. Don't forget I said so.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Ill say it again, this defense is going to be very good. The DTs will step up and Ware will have a career year, watch. Don't forget I said so.
Ware was made for this defense, and it's sad that it's finally arrived relatively late in his career. He is a special player who shouldn't be having to worry about covering a RB, TE, or slot WR.

Carp

DCC 4Life
The DTs will step up based on what?

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
And based on what we have at the position right now, then it's safe to say that we won't have consistent pressure.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
The DTs will step up based on what?
Haven't you heard of them destroying our horrifically bad and injured OL?

Top Bottom