Mark Schlereth Wants To Punch Jerry Jones In The Face

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
National analyst: I want to punch Jerry Jones in the face for completely emasculating Jason Garrett

Staff Reports

Published: 20 July 2013 02:40 PM

Updated: 20 July 2013 02:40 PM

NFL analyst Mark Schlereth joined Fitzsimmons and Durrett on KESN-FM this week to talk about the team. Here are some highlights from the interview.

On Bill Callahan calling plays:

“It was a great move. It should have never come from your owner. Ever! It should have come from Jason Garrett. He should have had a press conference and said you know what, my job as a head coach is to coach the coaches. I think I’m more valuable managing the entire team as opposed to doing the play calling and managing the football team so I’m going to step back and appoint that duty to my offensive line coach now my offensive coordinator slash play caller. We collaborate and work together on game day. My talents are better served as the head coach of this football team and making sure I’m managing the game. That’s how it should have been because in locker room it’s perceived that he’s in charge. But when your owner comes out with a little snarky comment, I just want to punch him in the face. Seriously!? You just completely emasculated your head coach in front of everybody and now he has to go face those guys and act like he’s the authority in charge in that locker room. I think they all like Jason Garrett, and I think Jason Garrett is a great young coach. I think you circumvented his power. I think it’s a hard situation to be in as a coach is when the going gets tough everybody’s brothers and uncles know he’s not really in charge, and he’s probably not going to be here next year.”

On Jerry Jones saying the Cowboys are a better team:

“I put this out on Twitter the other day, and I kind of got some hate from the Cowboys fans out there. I said it and I stand by it, the Cowboys have 12-4 talent and a 4-12 mentality. That’s who they are. That’s why they’re 8-8 every year. Until they figure out how to play and how to grind and how to win the close games and how to fight in the end and those things are learned, it’s part of the organization. Those things have got to be part of the organization that everybody grows together and learns how to do that. This is a team in my mind that’s had so many guys on their roster for so long, they should be better than they are. It’s the mental aspect of handling the grind of a 16-game season, and that’s the biggest disappointment with the Dallas Cowboys.”
---------------

Get in line, Mark.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Did he just now start following the Cowboys?

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
You just completely emasculated your head coach in front of everybody and now he has to go face those guys and act like he’s the authority in charge in that locker room.
Honestly, even before Jerry announced to the world that Callahan had taken over as the play-caller, everyone already knew that Jerry is the authority in charge inside the Cowboys' locker room.

The only two Dallas coaches who were the primary authority figures during their time in Dallas were Parcells and Jimmy Johnson.

The players already knew that Jerry calls the shots inside the locker room.

Last edited:

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Honestly, even before Jerry announced to the world that Callahan had taken over as the play-caller, everyone already knew that Jerry is the authority in charge inside the Cowboys' locker room.

The only two Dallas coaches who were the primary authority figures during their time in Dallas were Parcells and Jimmy Johnson.

The players already knew that Jerry calls the shots inside the locker room.
But then what do you do with a story like the one from Parcells the other day and others who have coached the team. Almost all have said that Jones wasn't a problem for them.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
But then what do you do with a story like the one from Parcells the other day and others who have coached the team. Almost all have said that Jones wasn't a problem for them.
Quote the others saying he was a great GM.

I will wait with baited text.

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
Jones probably wasn't a problem for Parcells and Jimmy Johnson for the most part because they were strong enough to temper his Jerry-ness. But it's no coincidence that both of them left when they more or less had enough of his crap. They made enough money in Dallas and they probably like Jerry well enough personally that they won't bad mouth him that much publicly but they're not idiots. They know Jerry is toxic for 99% of coaches.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
He stepped back with Parcells, that's why it didn't bother him. He wasn't down on the sidelines dictating the action, like he has already done to Garrett in the Philly game a couple of years ago. Wade Phillips wouldn't have had a problem with anyone. Same goes for Campo and Gailey who were just happy to be employed as HCs.

And let's be honest here, nobody save Jimmy Johnson is going to risk pissing off one of the most if not the most powerful owners in the sport. If they are not going to say something nice, they won't say it at all. That is precisely why they like that he "wants to win" and has "passion", but not one of these head coaches has ever mentioned how impressed they are with his ability to run a football organization.

1bigfan13

Staff member
That is precisely why they like that he "wants to win" and has "passion", but not one of these head coaches has ever mentioned how impressed they are with his ability to run a football organization.
To that point, as I mentioned earlier, former players and analysts are always gushing over the Cowboys talent, and I admit we have done a better job lately in acquiring players, but being the GM/Owner is more than just bringing in talented pieces.

That's what Jerry struggles with.

He doesn't know how to get out of the way and let the coaches set the tone for the organization. He doesn't foster an environment where football is first and foremost. He's all about entertainment and bringing in extra money. Winning comes in at no. 3.

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
To that point, as I mentioned earlier, former players and analysts are always gushing over the Cowboys talent, and I admit we have done a better job lately in acquiring players, but being the GM/Owner is more than just bringing in talented pieces.

He doesn't know how to get out of the way and let the coaches set the tone for the organization. He doesn't foster an environment where football is first and foremost. He's all about entertainment and bringing in extra money. Winning comes in at no. 3.
The people that gush over the Cowboy's talent don't look below the surface and see the lack of depth and severe drop off in ability between the "star" players and the Bernadeaus and McCrays of the team.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Jerry struggles with team building.

Anyone, and I do mean anyone, if they were put in Jones' shoes could do what he has done since he let Johnson go.

Anyone who decided they were going to be socks to jocks and hired competent football guys and "listened", I could have a playoff team at least three times in seventeen years if I allowed them to simply make the calls regarding talent. It is how to get everyone in the organization on the same page with what you want and constructing a team, not a bunch of individual talents.

For the most part, that is what Jones does. He has his guys like Ciskowski and the scouts, making recommendations and he "listens". He also "listens" to his coaching staff.

The problem becomes evident when he inserts himself too strong in the process to "break ties" or simply overrule everyone with what he personally wants. He does not do that a lot, but we have seen that kind of disaster, like when he had him a hankerin' for some Quincy Carter.

He could easily set the tone himself. And he does in his own perverted way.

It is about him and marketing his brand. Dallas Cowboys football doesn't stand for football at all really. If it did, we would have a reputation. There would be things that "we do".

We change from year to year, from head coach to head coach, because there is nobody competent steering the ship. We had a little direction under Parcells. But since then it is Power Jerry.

He simply has no set football philosophy. Even Al Davis in senility had that. It just didn't work.

There are no solid core football fundamentals that Jerry stands for. And you can see that in part-time GM/owners who are just like him...Mike Brown and Ralph Wilson are exactly the same. Their organizations have never had success unless their coaching staffs set the tone.

Stronger owners have identity and get coaches who fit it (i.e. Pittsburgh) and personnel guys with true authority who believe in what the brand stands for. That's why you can sometimes look at who a team acquires and go, "that guy's a Steeler".

Can you do that for a Dallas Cowboy? No, you can't because we have no ideals.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
The people that gush over the Cowboy's talent don't look below the surface and see the lack of depth and severe drop off in ability between the "star" players and the Bernadeaus and McCrays of the team.

Also, the talent we have tends to accumulate in the skill positions, and tends to lack in the trenches. That's a backwards way of building a team, and tends to cause a team that can "compete" on a regular basis to collapse when push comes to shove.

People call the Cowboys talented because people tend to notice the flashy, skill position talent (where we have it) and tend to overlook the vitally important talent in the trenches (where we are lacking on both sides of the ball).

We "look" more talented than we are.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Quote the others saying he was a great GM.

I will wait with baited text.
Didn't say they said he was a great GM. They did say however that he was not a problem for them as the media depicted.

Last edited:

Bob Roberts

Professor StinkFinger
You guys are way too hard on Jerry. These are group decisions, everyone comes to a consensus

1bigfan13

Staff member
You guys are way too hard on Jerry. These are group decisions, everyone comes to a consensus
Feh....everyone knows those meetings are simply a formality. Can't have everyone thinking the Jer' is a dictator.

His mind is probably made up before the meetings even start.

Top Bottom