Kavner: Jones Doesn't See This Season As Make Or Break For Garrett

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Jones Doesn't See This Season As Make Or Break For Garrett

Posted 12 minutes ago

Rowan Kavner
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

OXNARD, Calif. – Jerry Jones is ready to put past seasons of mediocrity in the past, letting everyone know Saturday at the opening training camp press conference he’s “burned the ships” in an attempt to move forward.

One ship he hasn’t burned, though, is that of his head coach, and it doesn’t appear Jones is ready to move on from Jason Garrett any time soon.

Garrett’s remained a constant through all the uncomfortable changes Jones promised in the offseason. When asked if it’s fair to say this is a “win or else” season for Garrett, Jones didn’t hesitate with his quick response.

“I wouldn’t use the word fair,” Jones said. “It’s a mistake. That’s not right.”

Jones continued to reiterate his positive feelings about Garrett and the future of the franchise with his head coach’s influence. The unsuccessful finishes of the past couple seasons haven’t diminished Jones’ faith in his Garrett.

“If you’re in close here, you see how Jason is responding to obviously unsatisfactory times, and I can tell you firsthand, that’s impressive,” Jones said. “So I like that as far as looking ahead at the future, it is very good. So everything I’m thinking about is not only about how to beat the Giants when we open up, but also about what our future is in a plus manner, or in a positive way, with Jason.

“I look to the future with Jason, and not just through his contract that we’re sitting here with right now. I think he’s got a couple years left in his contract, but that’s not a thought. It is not what is implied when you say, ‘Well this is an Armageddon year for him.’ It is not that with me.”

Jones also doesn’t want to separate quarterback Tony Romo from the head coach whose been involved in his progression and maturity.

“(Garrett)’s been directly involved in the coaching of Romo for six years,” Jones siad. “When he got here, Romo had never had the same guy two years in a row. We’ve got to take advantage of that. His safety net presence for what we’re doing not only as a team, but on offense, is a big part of the plan. It gives us a real advantage.”

Garrett’s safety net presence provides comfort for Jones and has played a role in how the team’s been put together and what the group is doing offensively.

That presence subsequently makes Jones more open to giving responsibility to young and promising offensive position coaches, including tight ends coach Wes Phillips.

“It’s very comforting to have Jason as our head coach, because he obviously knows that position and other positions like he does his own name,” Jones said. “It’s really good to know we’ve got somebody as fresh on it, fresh within his career, as sensitive to that passing game side of the ball, and if you will, the running game as well. I just would say this, with all the confidence in Phillips that I have, it’s great to know that our head coach is there watching every detail of any of our coaches, as he should be.”

The only real difference for Garrett heading into the 2013 season will be moving away from calling plays and more toward focusing on the overall picture.

“I made a very conscious effort over the last couple years to coach the whole football team,” Garrett said. “I spent time with the defensive guys on their part of the practice field. I spent a lot of times in the defensive meetings and the special teams meetings. I’ve always done that, but just the mechanics of someone else calling the actual plays allows me to maybe take a different view of it.”

Other than that switch, the mediocre seasons of years past haven’t changed anything for the head coach in the eyes of his owner.

Photos from the opening press conference in Oxnard >>

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

“(Garrett)’s been directly involved in the coaching of Romo for six years,” Jones siad. “When he got here, Romo had never had the same guy two years in a row. We’ve got to take advantage of that. His safety net presence for what we’re doing not only as a team, but on offense, is a big part of the plan. It gives us a real advantage.”
And with that said you have to look really really hard to see how he is different or even better under Garrett than he was with Parcells and David Lee.

“It’s very comforting to have Jason as our head coach, because he obviously knows that position and other positions like he does his own name,” Jones said. “It’s really good to know we’ve got somebody as fresh on it, fresh within his career, as sensitive to that passing game side of the ball, and if you will, the running game as well. I just would say this, with all the confidence in Phillips that I have, it’s great to know that our head coach is there watching every detail of any of our coaches, as he should be.”
Wut

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
If Jerry Jones believes in Jason Garrett, he should give him a contract extension

By Jon Machota
jmachota@dallasnews.com
12:22 pm on February 5, 2013

20 47

Forty-nine years ago today, Clint Murchison Jr. proved how much faith he had in a Dallas Cowboys head coach despite a poor overall record. The Cowboys owner gave Tom Landry, who had posted a 9-38-3 record during the previous four seasons, a 10-year contract extension.

If Jerry Jones truly believes in Jason Garrett, he should make a similar bold commitment. Jones should give Garrett, who is under contract through the 2014 season, an additional 3-5 years.

Throughout the coaching staff changes that have taken place over the last month, Jones has praised the foundation that Garrett has built over the past two and a half seasons as head coach, saying things like: “I’m excited. Boy, we’ve got a good man in Jason Garrett putting this together for us.”

On the day Murchison announced Landry’s new deal, the Cowboys owner said: “This is in line with my philosophy that once you get a good man, hold on to him.”

If Jones believes what he says, that he has a “good man” and the “right man,” then he should lock Garrett up for the foreseeable future. A move like that would show that Garrett is in charge and Jon Gruden isn’t walking through the Valley Ranch doors as anything more than a TV analyst.

Following Landry’s extension in 1964 the Cowboys went 12-15-1 the next two seasons. They followed that up by reaching the playoffs 17 of the next 18 seasons.

Jones, who has admitted regret over getting rid of Chan Gailey so quickly, has compared Garrett’s brief coaching tenure to that of Bill Belichick. The New England Patriots coach, who has won three Super Bowls since 2001, was fired from his first head-coaching gig with the Cleveland Browns after only one winning season in five years.

Jones has also compared Garrett to Landry.

“I know that when I first got in the NFL, I could dream that maybe in 29 more years we could have the coach that we had with Coach Landry,” Jones said at the press conference announcing Garrett as the team’s new head coach. “Those are different times, different days, but you can dream that this thing is in place long term because of (Garrett’s) age and frankly, his background and experience growing up in NFL football.”

If Jones still feels that way, a contract extension would be the perfect way to prove it.

Top Bottom