Agent: Josh Brent to retire

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Agent: Josh Brent to retire
Updated: July 18, 2013, 1:52 PM ET
ESPN.com news services

Josh Brent, facing an intoxication manslaughter charge, is going to retire, agent Peter Schaffer told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter on Thursday.

Brent was involved in a car wreck in December in which practice squad linebacker Jerry Brown was killed. His blood alcohol level was more than twice the league limit.

The Cowboys report to training camp this weekend. Brent retired, a source told ESPN.com, to concentrate on his major priorities.

Cotton

Staff member
Ian Rapoport@RapSheet53s
Cowboys DT Josh Brent announces his retirement: "This is the right decision for me, and something that I have given a lot of thought to."

Ian Rapoport@RapSheet43s
More Brent: "I am at a point where my main focus is about getting priorities in my life in order. Priorities more important than football"

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
He's young enough if he does manage to get his life straightened out he could still come back.

Cotton

Staff member
Brent’s Roster Spot Now Open After His Decision To Retire

Posted 16 minutes ago
​​
Nick EatmanDallas
Cowboys.com Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas
– Over the last few weeks, there has been plenty of debate on whether the Cowboys would remove Josh Brent from the roster or the NFL would perhaps suspend the defensive tackle.

On Thursday, Brent removed himself.

Brent has decided to retire from foot

ball and will be placed on the Reserved/Retired list. If he ever decides to play football again, the Cowboys would still obtain his rights.

“This is the right decision for me, and something that I have given a lot of thought to,” Brent said in a prepared statement. “I am at a point where my main focus is all about getting the priorities in my life in order. Those priorities are more important than football. Doing the right things in life are more important than football. I love the game very much. I love my teammates, but this is the right thing for me to do."

Brent’s decision comes a day before the Cowboys depart for training camp in Oxnard, Calif. This move actually gives Dallas four open roster spots. Expect most, if not all, of them to be filled before the team takes the field Sunday afternoon for the first practice.

Brent was never expected to be in attendance for camp, considering his Sept. 23 trial date. He is facing intoxication manslaughter charges, stemming from a Dec. 8 accident that killed teammate and good friend Jerry Brown, who was on the Cowboys’ practice squad. Brent’s blood-alcohol level was more than twice the legal limit at the time of the accident. And this was Brent’s second alcohol-related incident, having served a 60-day jail sentence while playing college football at Illinois.

After the Dec. 8 accident, Brent was sent to jail but released on $100,000 bond. He later returned to jail last month after a drug test indicated marijuana in his system for the second time. He was released last Sunday on a court order.

Almost exactly three years ago, Brent first joined the Cowboys as a seventh-round pick in the NFL’s Supplemental Draft. He made the team as a rookie in 2010 and spent the next three seasons with the Cowboys, starting five games last year in place of Jay Ratliff, who suffered injuries throughout the season.

But in his 39 career games, Brent was considered more of a rotational player, registering just 1.5 sacks. His strength against the run made him a regular on goal-line and short-yardage defensive situations.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Too bad he wasted his life and ruined someone else's before getting to this point.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Roster spot open...need to bring a WR or TE in.

:unsure

Cotton

Staff member

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Time for Jerry Jones to move on to plan B.

I know he had big plans for Brent going forward.

1bigfan13

Staff member
So why again did we not address DL in the offseason?

Cotton

Staff member
Time for Jerry Jones to move on to plan B.

I know he had big plans for Brent going forward.
The sad part is, Jerry was relying on Brent coming back. Plan B should have started back in FA and the draft.

Cotton

Staff member
Calvin Watkins ‏@calvinwatkins 1m
An international incident almost occurred when Jerry Jones left as reporters tailed him. We're told he's coming back. He had to make a call.

Jerry seems to have been a bit blindsided by this. :lol

1bigfan13

Staff member
An international incident almost occurred when Jerry Jones left as reporters tailed him. We're told he's coming back. He had to make a call.

Amazing how he's always surprised by the obvious.

Bring in crap to start on the OL, Jerry is shocked that they can't run or pass block.

Bring in crap at Safety, he's shocked that they struggle in coverage.

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member
I think that picture is big enough.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester

:laff

I hope that dumbass feels like shit right now.

Top Bottom