Archer: Consistency key for DeMarcus Ware

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Consistency key for DeMarcus Ware

July, 16, 2013

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

SOUTHLAKE, Texas – DeMarcus Ware grew up wearing Reebok sneakers and was fond of the old Pumps. Now years later the Cowboys defensive end is a spokesman for the shoe company and is championing Reebok’s new ATV19 shoe.

On Tuesday he went through a 90-minute workout at Impact Performance and Fitness in Southlake in his “all-terrain” shoes and a commercial featuring Ware and Rampage Jackson started airing last week.

“I preach consistency when I play football and that’s how they’ve been year and in year out,” Ware said. “That’s why I like them.”

Ware has been ultra-consistent.

Ware has had seven straight seasons with at least 10 sacks. Only Reggie White (nine) andJohn Randle (eight) have more in NFL history. He is the Cowboys’ official sack leader with 111 in his career, but needs four to break Harvey Martin’s unofficial record.

Ware turns 31 on July 31 and is moving from outside linebacker to defensive end as the Cowboys shift to the 4-3 in 2013.

“I think it’s another challenge of being effective at a totally different position,” Ware said. “They say an outside linebacker is a defensive end just standing up, but it’s not the same because you’ve got different ways the offense wants to sort of attack you. It’s a little simpler now. It’s more man on man, that brute football. It’s not, I’m going to trick the guy and move the guy around to get a matchup. It’s my tackle against your defensive end or my linebacker against your running back We know who’s blocking who and it’s up to who wants it most.”

Top Bottom