Murray: No Dallas Cowboy resents Tony Romo for new contract; ‘Every guy has his back’

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
DeMarco Murray: No Dallas Cowboy resents Tony Romo for new contract; ‘Every guy has his back’

By Jon Machota / Special Contributor
jmachota@dallasnews.com
12:01 pm on July 10, 2013 |
DeMarco Murray was a busy man Wednesday morning. The Dallas Cowboys running back made the rounds on ESPN, bouncing from “SportsCenter” to “First Take” to “The Herd with Colin Cowherd.”

Of course, there was no way Murray was going to make it through the day without being asked about Tony Romo and the six-year, $108 million contract extension the Cowboys quarterback inked in March.

A lot of pressure comes with signing that type of lucrative deal, as if being the starting quarterback of the Cowboys didn’t already provide enough of that. When Murray was discussing the topic, he tried to explain how that pressure shouldn’t solely be on Romo because success won’t come unless his teammates aren’t doing their part.

“He will have a great year,” Murray said on First Take. “I don’t think it’s Tony Romo himself. We have to have guys on the outside stepping up, guys in the front five stepping up and guys in the backfield stepping up. It’s not all on his head. He gets a lot of criticism, a lot of the blame. As individuals, we have a lot of talent and we have to make plays for him.”

Murray said on SportsCenter that Romo is “definitely” worthy of the contract extension and joked about how Romo has spent some of that money taking Murray out to dinner a couple times during the off-season.

Murray didn’t appear to be resentful that Romo has become the highest paid player in the franchise’s history, and Murray said he doesn’t fear that his teammates will have any ill will towards Romo, either.

“Not at all,” Murray said. “I think when you look at Romo, no one has higher expectations for him on this team than Tony Romo. I can tell you right now, every guy is behind Romo and every guy has his back, from the undrafted guys to the No. 1 starting tackles or anyone. Yeah, he signed a big contract. It’s time for not only him but it’s time for us as a team to be cohesive and us as a team to win some games up there.”

The Cowboys have been criticized over the years for not having the leadership that previous Cowboys teams have had. Some don’t believe Romo is a leader. Murray disagrees with those critics.

During his time with Cowherd, Murray said Romo is “definitely” a leader and explained why.

“I see it every day,” Murray said. “I see it when no one’s there at 8 a.m. and it’s him and I there working out. When it’s 5 o’clock at night and it’s 120 degrees and he’s outside running and trying to get better. Just his vocal mentality, how he comes in there and commands the huddle, demands that people play up to their expectations, whether it’s practice, a walk-through or a game, he is a leader. He is the leader of our team.”

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Why would any player resent him for getting that deal? They know that if they also play mediocre, mistake prone football that they'll likely get a bloated albatross contract, too. No reason to rock the boat and potentially screw themselves out of some coin.

jester

Brand New Member
What's the Pro Sports Code- you don't talk about money or women.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
The whole nonsense about Romo's contract is an overblown external creation and a side-effect of the Tony Romo bashing mentality that's thriving right now.

The truth is Dallas just doesn't have the horses to win in prime time. The team can't dictate to defenses without Romo improvising on just about every drive, and you can't consistently win that way.

It too often seems like our offenses have played confused. That's on Jason Garrett. Sooner or later a Romo improvisation is going to result in a bad turnover, so you can't rely on it, and that over-reliance is also on Garrett.

Top Bottom