Expert Witness: Trayvon Martin was on top of Zimmerman when teen was shot

Smitty

DCC 4Life
George Zimmerman trial: Trayvon Martin was on top of Zimmerman when teen was shot, gunshot wound expert testifies

(CBS/AP) SANFORD, Fla. -- A nationally renowned gunshot wound expert testified Tuesday that Trayvon Martin's gunshot wound was consistent with accused murderer George Zimmerman's story that the teen was on top of him and leaning over when he was shot.

George Zimmerman, a former neighborhood watch captain standing trial in the teen's shooting death, has said Martin attacked him and was on top of him just before the fatal gunshot. Prosecutors have argued Zimmerman profiled the teen and started the confrontation.

Taking the stand for the defense, Dr. Vincent Di Maio, a forensic pathologist, said that Martin's gunshot wound was consistent with the gun's muzzle being against his clothing, which would have been two to four inches away from his body when he was shot.

"If you lean over someone, you notice the clothing tends to fall away from the chest," Di Maio said. "If instead you're lying on your back and someone shoots you, the clothing is going to be against your chest."

Trayvon Martin's mother, Sybrina Fulton, left the courtroom as Di Maio testified. The jury saw graphic photos of Trayvon Martin's gunshot wounds in court.

Who was the aggressor in the Feb. 26, 2012 altercation in the Sanford, Fla., gated community has been a key issue in Zimmerman's second-degree murder trial, which is in its eleventh day of testimony.

Di Maio said that Trayvon Martin would have been alive for about one to three minutes following the gunshot wound, but would have been able to move and speak for at least ten to fifteen seconds.

The testimony was a contrast to the remarks of a medical examiner who conducted Martin's autopsy, who said that the teen could have been alive for up to ten minutes after the gunshot. Dr. Shiping Bao also said he didn't believe Martin would have been able to move after receiving the shot.

Prosecutors have said that George Zimmerman told investigators he moved Martin's arms away from his body after the gunshot, although Martin was found with his arms tucked beneath his chest. Answering a question from defense attorney Don West, Di Maio said that someone may be able to move their arms after receiving a similar gunshot.

Zimmerman's injuries indicate "you've had severe force, it's not just like you bumped your head or something like that," Di Maio said.

Zimmerman's injuries were consistent with having his head hit against concrete more than once, Di Maio said. The former neighborhood watch captain said the teen smashed his head into a sidewalk several times before he claimed he acted in self-defense.

The testimony was a contrast to another medical examiner, Dr. Valerie Rao, who testified for prosecutors that Zimmerman had "insignificant" injuries that didn't appear to result from multiple impacts against concrete.

Pointing to photos of Zimmerman's injures, Di Maio also said Zimmerman's nose may have been fractured, an injury he said was consistent with being punched in the nose, as Zimmerman said Martin did.

Di Maio also said it's possible to receive trauma without visible wounds. "You can get severe trauma to the head without external injuries, actually," Di Maio said.

Di Maio also explained that if clothes taken into evidence are wet and packaged in plastic bags, and not paper bags, it can ruin the samples since "bacteria multiplies and you get mold and it stinks to high heaven." Defense attorneys believe DNA evidence found on Martin's hooded sweatshirt and undershirt was degraded since the clothing wasn't packaged properly.

Di Maio was still on the stand early Tuesday afternoon after court recessed for lunch.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Don't know if anyone's been following this but it's been all Zimmerman, at least everything I've heard.

Even the prosecution's witnesses ended up corroborating half his story.

I'd be shocked if he gets convicted.

Last edited:

Carp

DCC 4Life
Good for him. He still initiated this whole thing IMO, but at this point I don't really care.

townsend

Banned
Luckily (with exception to Scott Peterson) this country doesn't seem to convict by mob rule. Sure every once in a while a Casey Anthony slips through the cracks. But if the news networks had their way, the entire Duke lacross team would have been crucified.

EZ22

The One Who Knocks
Thanks to the media I'm pretty sure there will be some epic race riots if he's found innocent.

Carp

DCC 4Life
So it is ok to beat the fuck out of someone because they are following you around?
Feh. I am not getting into this again, but there was no reason for him to be following him. The dispatcher told him to quit following the guy. Maybe the kid got scared of being followed. You do stupid things when you are scared, like shooting someone and stuff.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Feh. I am not getting into this again, but there was no reason for him to be following him. The dispatcher told him to quit following the guy. Maybe the kid got scared of being followed. You do stupid things when you are scared, like shooting someone and stuff.
I agree with you. I don't think he should have been following him. At very least he should have stayed way back so that Martin didn't know he was following. Regardless, Zimmerman created the situation by being there to being with. And, you're right, we have hashed this and rehashed this to death.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I will say this though...Zimmerman ate really good in jail.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Thanks to the media I'm pretty sure there will be some epic race riots if he's found innocent.
I don't think the media would be to necessarily to blame for it.

Cotton

Staff member
I don't think the media would be to necessarily to blame for it.
They would be partly to blame, at least. You can't watch any of the coverage without the word black being said 50 million times.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
They would be partly to blame, at least. You can't watch any of the coverage without the word black being said 50 million times.
That's still no excuse to vent your rage at the local Best Buy before the police station or City Hall. But of course, that's usually how it works out.

NO JUSTICE FOR TAYVON! OUTRAGE!

~meeting at Best Buy down the street~

Cotton

Staff member
That's still no excuse to vent your rage at the local Best Buy before the police station or City Hall. But of course, that's usually how it works out.

NO JUSTICE FOR TAYVON! OUTRAGE!

~meeting at Best Buy down the street~
Of course it's no excuse, but our country feeds on victimization.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Of course it's no excuse, but our country feeds on victimization.
I won't argue that a bit.

Now if you will excuse me, I need to go buy a hoodie, some Skittles and shoe polish to protect myself.

D

Deuce

A lot of "extra precautionary measures" have been taken in Seminole County already to diffuse any violence stemming from the verdict. The writing has been on the wall from the start of the trial. He may get manslaughter, but beating the murder change has been a cakewalk.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
A lot of "extra precautionary measures" have been taken in Seminole County already to diffuse any violence stemming from the verdict. The writing has been on the wall from the start of the trial. He may get manslaughter, but beating the murder change has been a cakewalk.
Who gives a shit about Seminole County?

This is a national thing.

I guaran-damn-tee there will be unrest elsewhere.

It is just what people do.

Just like how a stupid fricking Stanley Cup gives some yahoo to feel he has validation to try to turn over a cop car.

Carl

RIP Brother
The sad thing is when Zimmerman is acquitted, he is going to be held up as a hero type by some people...(Hannity)

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
The moral of this story is don't play neighborhood cop when you're not one and don't jump out of the bushes on some unknown person in a concealed carry state when all you're armed with is a pack of skittles and bottle of tea.

Top Bottom