MacMahon: High 5: Can first-rounder lift the O-line?

Carp

DCC 4Life
The third in ESPNDallas.com's five-part series looking at factors that must go Dallas’ way in a big way for the Cowboys to be contenders this season.

Travis Frederick was too important to the Cowboys’ plans for them to take any chances.

Maybe he would have been available when they got on the clock with the 47th overall pick, but the Cowboys weren’t willing to risk it. Some considered selecting Frederick with the 31st overall pick, but the Cowboys had him as the No. 22 player on their board – and there was a steep drop to the next best interior offensive lineman still available.

The Cowboys were committed to addressing the interior line, which they rightfully determined was their most glaring need. After Frederick, Dallas didn’t have another center on their board until the fourth round. He was the only player at the position in the draft class that they were confident could be a walk-in starter.

How much of an impact can Frederick make as a rookie?

Jerry Jones declared during draft weekend that Frederick would be an “anchor” on the offensive line for a decade. The owner/GM gushed about the value of giving Tony Romo an “extra half-second of time” and the impact that having a center with Frederick’s physical strength could have on the guards.

The Cowboys aren’t just counting on Frederick to upgrade the center position. They expect his presence to make the guards better, whether incumbent starters Nate Livings and Mackenzy Bernadeau keep their jobs or Ronald Leary beats out one of them.

The poor performance of the interior offensive line was one of the primary reasons the Cowboys had the worst rushing attack in franchise history last season. The Cowboys believe Frederick can help fix that while also improving the protection of Romo.

That’s a lot to ask of a rookie, but if the Cowboys are right, the results ought to be especially noticeable in the red zone.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Any one very good player can make a huge difference on the OL, especially at an interior position where his play affects two other lineman.

I think Big E by himself elevated the early 90's lines. He transformed the running game and gave the team a physical identity.

It also helped that the greatest pass rusher in history played LDE, allowing Big E to go head to head against him and take away the Eagles' strength.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
It is a lot to ask a rookie, particularly a rookie who wasn't a top 5 or so pick. Maybe they can get lucky with a Leary or Parnell or something but I seriously doubt Frederick will significantly elevate the line's performance all by himself.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Yeah...that is quite a bit of pressure to put on Frederick. I have no doubt he can be a competent starter his first year, but it will take more than that to change the culture of the OL.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
It is a lot to ask a rookie, particularly a rookie who wasn't a top 5 or so pick. Maybe they can get lucky with a Leary or Parnell or something but I seriously doubt Frederick will significantly elevate the line's performance all by himself.
He's not going to turn it into gold by himself but a lot of the complete meltdowns from Costa should be eliminated.

I don't really think of it as "elevating" the line. Frederick just has to not be a liability and it should be a good deal better.

We'll see if the guards can sink it, or Doug Free, though. For the OL to be acceptable, they all have to come through.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
It should at least allow everyone to do their job, not make up for someone else's short comings.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
It should at least allow everyone to do their job, not make up for someone else's short comings.
The problem is that many people will have the expectation that Frederick will not only do his job but also make up for the shortcomings of the shitheads around him, which is not an appropriate expectation.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Any one very good player can make a huge difference on the OL, especially at an interior position where his play affects two other lineman.

I think Big E by himself elevated the early 90's lines. He transformed the running game and gave the team a physical identity.

It also helped that the greatest pass rusher in history played LDE, allowing Big E to go head to head against him and take away the Eagles' strength.
Not to dispute your claim, but E played tackle...

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Maybe he meant Allen.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The problem is that many people will have the expectation that Frederick will not only do his job but also make up for the shortcomings of the shitheads around him, which is not an appropriate expectation.
Well no one should expect that. He is a goddamn rookie. I think down the line he could play at a probowl level but I'm certainly not expecting that as a rookie. I just want him to play at a good starting centers level as a rookie. That should be a big improvement compared to what we had last year.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I'm not understanding why that would change what he said.

E played right tackle.... where he went against the Eagles LDE, Reggie White.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I was saying an interior position can impact two others, but did not mean to imply Big E was an interior lineman only to reference him as an example of one player making a huge difference. Before Big E, the OL was a laughing stock around the league-- and that's with Tuinei, Newton, Stepnoski, and Gogan already in place.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Well no one should expect that. He is a goddamn rookie. I think down the line he could play at a probowl level but I'm certainly not expecting that as a rookie. I just want him to play at a good starting centers level as a rookie. That should be a big improvement compared to what we had last year.
You aren't most people. We both know that there are a lot of myopic dummies out there who have truly unreasonable levels of expectation. They also tend to be the same people who think that Romo can get to, and win, a Super Bowl.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
You aren't most people. We both know that there are a lot of myopic dummies out there who have truly unreasonable levels of expectation. They also tend to be the same people who think that Romo can get to, and win, a Super Bowl.
I think he can. Just not with this OL.

I think most likely Jerry foiled his chances at winning one by giving him a head coach who couldn't win from 2007-2010, and from then on, an OL that can't win.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

I think most likely Jerry foiled his chances at winning one by giving him a head coach who couldn't win from 2007-2010, and from then on, an OL that can't win.
Call me a hater, but the Redskins game last year did it for me.

I don't think he will ever be a winner.

There will always be a missed block that lets him and his case of the terminal yips take over.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Call me a hater, but the Redskins game last year did it for me.

I don't think he will ever be a winner.

There will always be a missed block that lets him and his case of the terminal yips take over.
I wouldn't rule it out.

Which is why if the opportunity presented itself I would grab another franchise QB.

But I am also not going to say he can't do it.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

Or a head coach who couldn't win from 2007-current.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Yes we do.
Considering I just said that I could see Romo win one if the OL plays better, then I clearly think that means his head coach can win one too.

We were on a 4 year break while Wade was here, though. We never had a single shred of a chance of winning shit while that loser was our coach. His presence actively prevented winning consistently in the playoffs.

The extent that Garrett's abilities promote winning can be debated, but it's not like Wade.

Last edited:
Top Bottom