WalterFootball: Cowboys Guard Trade Targets

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Cowboys Guard Trade Targets

Published June 23, 2013
By Charlie Campbell - @draftcampbell

The Cowboys made one of the most shocking picks in the 2013 NFL Draft when they selected Wisconsin center Travis Frederick in the first round. Nobody expected Frederick to go that high, but Dallas was desperate for interior offensive line help. While Frederick is expected to solve their problems at center, the Cowboys have to get better play from their guards in order to be a playoff team next January.

Dallas is hoping that Ronald Leary can push veterans Nate Livings and Mackenzy Bernadeau, but the Cowboys could find some talented young trade targets later in the preseason. Two teams in particular stick out as being potential trade targets for the Dallas.

The Miami Dolphins have transitioned to a zone-blocking system under head coach Joe Philbin, which is a poor fit for heavy guard John Jerry. Miami also drafted guard Dallas Thomas in the third round this year. Jerry is in the final year of his contract and doesn't appear to be in Miami's long-term plans. Philbin has expressed concern and criticism for Jerry's conditioning in the past. Dolphins' general manager Jeff Ireland is open to trading veterans to build up draft resources, and sending Jerry to Dallas for a mid-round pick makes a lot of sense for both teams.

The other team that could be a good partner for Dallas is Kansas City. They have veteran Geoff Schwartz for left guard with two young competitors in Jeff Allen and Donald Stephenson. Kansas City took Allen in the second round and Stephenson in the third round of the 2012 NFL Draft, but they were picks of the former regime. General manager John Dorsey could be willing to part with one of those youngsters if they are buried on the depth chart at the end of the preseason.

The Cowboys will hope that their in-house candidates solve their problems at guard, but if they don't, Miami and Kansas City are teams they should keep an eye on during the preseason.
-------------

Strange article out of the blue from Campbell, who does have some interesting sources that he utilizes from time to time.

Kansas City has very thin line depth, so I wonder how Stephenson and Allen (who we liked coming out in the draft) are going to get buried. Their main competition will be journeyman like Matt Reynolds and approximately four UDFAs nobody has heard of. Miami makes a little more sense because of the Ireland connection, which no doubt led to us trading for Cook at the final cuts last season. They also aren't stacked either. Jerry's main competition is Lance Louis who is coming off an injury. Now Richie Incognito is a guy who I would be more interested in if Dallas Thomas can beat him out.

That said I am more interested to see what the reserves are capable of doing before looking for a trade.

The only issue is whether or not players like Leary, Kowalski and even Arkin are given a fair shot to earn a starting job over Livings and Bernadeau.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
If Jerry didn't fit a zone-blocking scheme in Miami, why would he be a better fit in Callahan's zone-blocking scheme in Dallas?

Bottom line is even the castoffs of some of the worst teams in the NFL last year--regardless of scheme-- are upgrades in Dallas. The irony is Jerry Jones himself was an o-lineman.

junk

Not So New Member
I don't think Jerry would be a target. Of course, I have no clue what Dallas wants in an offensive lineman anymore and neither do they as far as I can tell.

I probably would have taken a flyer on Schwartz the last two years. He contributed in Minny and signed a cheap deal to compete in KC. Arkin progress stopper though I guess.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Dolphins' general manager Jeff Ireland is open to trading veterans to build up draft resources, and sending Jerry to Dallas for a mid-round pick makes a lot of sense for both teams.
I wish we could send Jerry to Miami for a mid round pick.

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
The only issue is whether or not players like Leary, Kowalski and even Arkin are given a fair shot to earn a starting job over Livings and Bernadeau.
I think they would love for Leary to win the job at one of the Guard spots to justify the hype and big bonus Jerry paid for him. I don't know about the others. Arkin sucks even worse than Livings and Bernadeau. He'll be lucky to make the roster much less start. Kowalski may be and hopefully is a dark horse that replaces one of the two crap starters. Everything I've heard so far says he looks good. I'd like to believe they aren't so invested in Bernadeau that they'll live and die with him like Free if somebody steps up to unseat him.

Top Bottom