Fisher: Should Cowboys follow Patriots' lead with Brent?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Should Cowboys follow Patriots' lead with Brent?

MIKE FISHER |

Published: Wednesday, June 26, 2013, 1:50pm

IRVING, Texas – You think the Dallas Cowboys should cut Josh Brent as he awaits his September trial on intoxication manslaughter charges? Fine. There are any number of justifiable reasons to do so, including sending a moral and ethical "tough-on-criminal-stupidity'' message through the locker room and through the fan base.

You think the Cowboys should cut Josh Brent because the Patriots cut Aaron Hernandez?

You may be moral and ethical, but you are failing in the ability to grasp nuance.

Hernandez on Wednesday was hauled away in handcuffs as officials in Boston are investigating his involvement in a murder. Within minutes of the scene being shown on live national TV, the Patriots acted swiftly by announcing the release of the star player.

Meanwhile, Josh Brent is free, on bond … quite possibly in front of a TV set watching the Hernandez drama unfold.

Somebody died. An athlete was involved. So naturally, any moral and ethical person should see that the circumstances should be handled in exactly the same manner, right?

Wrong.

For the sake of argument:

*Maybe the Patriots know enough about the details of the case to be able to predict that Hernandez' football life is over. Meanwhile, maybe the Cowboys know that Brent could get probation and be eligible for the NFL again in 2014. Because for all of the "morals-and-ethics'' bleating, New England might've hung onto Hernandez for one more day if it was playing in the Super Bowl on Wednesday.

*Or maybe the Cowboys believe that rather than "sending a message'' of intolerance that benefits the team in the long-term, their message of brotherhood toward Brent is important, too. The mother of the friend killed when Brent was driving certainly thinks so, which is among the reasons Jerry Brown Jr.'s family has urged the Cowboys to maintain their embrace of Brent.

*Or maybe, quite simply, someone views alleged involvement in a premeditated murder as being different than involvement in a drunk-driving accident. Is there not room for nuance between the sloppy, stupid and tragic mistake of drunk driving and the psychopathic action of premeditated murder?

Among Brent's problems: He is scheduled for a bond hearing to investigate whether he violated a recent court order by smoking marijuana. If Brent is guilty of that, the judge can revoke the bond and send the defensive lineman to jail.

That would be an opportune time, and an appropriate time, for the Cowboys to say enough is enough. They could tell their locker room and their fan base that the action isn't a "stand against drugs'' because drugs are already illegal and no stand is necessary. Rather, it's a stand against Brent thumbing his nose at authority, authority that holds Brent's future – football and otherwise – in its hands.

If Josh Brent responded to the authority by figuratively blowing smoke rings at it, his friends inside the locker room will be made to understand that a line was crossed.

But it's a Cowboys line and it comes with deep thought and nuance. If it was black-and-white and firm, maybe the Patriots should've cut Hernandez last week. Maybe Ray Lewis should've never been allowed to win a Ravens Super Bowl. Maybe Jim Harbaugh's DUI should preclude him from coaching the 49ers.

And how ethic do you want your NFL to be? Maybe, in the wake of the NCAA's ruling on Cheatin' Chip Kelly, the Eagles should fire him this instant.

But those are Ravens, 49ers and Eagles decisions. They have nothing to do with the Cowboys.

And what New England has done is a Patriots decision. It also has nothing to do with the Cowboys, who – upon learning for certain that Brent failed yet another test of respect for authority, his employer and himself – should cut Josh Brent.

But not because of Aaron Hernandez. Just because of Josh Brent.
--------------

Uhhh...it is a little late to cut Brent. We've already...~lipsmack~...committed to allowing the legal system to play out.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
It's a completely different situation. Regardless of whether keeping or cutting Brent is the right thing, it's an entirely different analysis, especially given the position of the deceased's mother and family in the Brent case, his intent (technically speaking, accidental), etc.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
He should have been gone a long time ago. But, instead, he was a guest of honor on our sidelines.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
It's a completely different situation. Regardless of whether keeping or cutting Brent is the right thing, it's an entirely different analysis, especially given the position of the deceased's mother and family in the Brent case, his intent (technically speaking, accidental), etc.
It is still a general principle question.

Do you cut someone who isn't going to play for you again? I say...yes.

This silly game we have been playing by keeping Brent around is stupid. It is pretty clear he's going down for manslaughter at the very least.

The Patriots are doing what they always do...they are handling it as a business. The right way. Just move on and get on with football.

It sends a message to the team that is simple. We have a system and it will go on with or without you.

Cotton

Staff member
But...but...nobody knew he was there. And stuff.
Yeah, and, we had to show him support and stuff so he didn't go get drunk and kill another teammate. Jerry was just thinking ahead.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yeah, and, we had to show him support and stuff so he didn't go get drunk and kill another teammate. Jerry was just thinking ahead.
It was a sentimental non-football related reason. It is that kind of stuff that will surely make FAs want to come to Dallas!

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
It is still a general principle question.

Do you cut someone who isn't going to play for you again? I say...yes.

This silly game we have been playing by keeping Brent around is stupid. It is pretty clear he's going down for manslaughter at the very least.

The Patriots are doing what they always do...they are handling it as a business. The right way. Just move on and get on with football.

It sends a message to the team that is simple. We have a system and it will go on with or without you.
This is exactly how I see it as well. Besides, Brent is not some All-Pro DT. Players with his skill set are a dime a dozen.

Now I would understand not wanting to quickly part ways with an impact player but Brently certainly doesn't fit that mold.

This shouldn't even be an issue.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
To me, an even worse example of how soft this organization is when it comes to handling these situations was the Ratliff arrest.

The guy drives drunk roughly a month after Brent killed someone doing the same thing, and we do nothing.

Pathetic.

Funny how Jerry Jones says he wants to follow the Patriots model when it comes to a two TE offense, but doesn't follow the model that he should be copying - the one of the front office.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
To me, an even worse example of how soft this organization is when it comes to handling these situations was the Ratliff arrest.

The guy drives drunk roughly a month after Brent killed someone doing the same thing, and we do nothing.

Pathetic.

Funny how Jerry Jones says he wants to follow the Patriots model when it comes to a two TE offense, but doesn't follow the model that he should be copying - the one of the front office.
Not only do we do nothing, we actually pass on prospects the next draft thinking that Ratliff is just dandy. It could be mighty funny if Goodell drops the hammer on Ratliff and we are left scrambling yet again.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Not only do we do nothing, we actually pass on prospects the next draft thinking that Ratliff is just dandy. It could be mighty funny if Goodell drops the hammer on Ratliff and we are left scrambling yet again.
That's what gets me - we do this crap for average to no-name players.

Imagine if Brent was Haloti Ngata or something. We probably would've named him team captain or some shit to really show our support for him.

The Pats released one of the premier TE's in all of football the minute they realized he wasn't the type of guy they needed in the locker room. Meanwhile, an average and over the hill Ratliff is treated as if he absolutely cannot be replaced.

Just another example of why one of these franchises is continuously in the mix for championships, and the other has become one of the laughingstocks of the league.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
That's what gets me - we do this crap for average to no-name players.

Imagine if Brent was Haloti Ngata or something. We probably would've named him team captain or some shit to really show our support for him.

The Pats released one of the premier TE's in all of football the minute they realized he wasn't the type of guy they needed in the locker room. Meanwhile, an average and over the hill Ratliff is treated as if he absolutely cannot be replaced.

Just another example of why one of these franchises is continuously in the mix for championships, and the other has become one of the laughingstocks of the league.
It is just what we do.

We have a lazy, plan-less front office that ankle grabs even crap players on their way out the door.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
It is just what we do.

We have a lazy, plan-less front office that ankle grabs even crap players on their way out the door.
The thing is, the Pats didn't just make this decision today.

Remember that he was pretty much told to stay away from the stadium the very day that this incident first came to light. He tried to go to the facility and was turned away.

So while they didn't cut him until today, the Pats made up their minds immediately that they wanted to distance themselves from something like that.

Meanwhile, in Brent land........

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The thing is, the Pats didn't just make this decision today.

Remember that he was pretty much told to stay away from the stadium the very day that this incident first came to light. He tried to go to the facility and was turned away.

So while they didn't cut him until today, the Pats made up their minds immediately that they wanted to distance themselves from something like that.

Meanwhile, in Brent land........
They made up their minds two weeks ago...if he's arrested, he's gone.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Only the Cowboys would let a dead guy's mother call the shots.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Only the Cowboys would let a dead guy's mother call the shots.
Furthermore, imagine Robert Kraft saying this special kind of rambling, idiotic nonsense several months after a player of his was being arraigned.

“What I am sensitive about is he is going to be judged, OK? And I am sensitive about him looking like for whatever the reason he’s anticipating a result. He doesn’t feel that way, and so if you are out here getting ready to play you might look like you are thinking you are going to play.

“Well, and somebody looks at that might think that you are not. Normally, people would until sentence get to go to work. Normally they would. Are you being presumptuous if you are out here getting all ready to go and working and doing all that, are you being a little presumptuous relative to adjudication? Could be.”

“I don’t want to be a part of anything that would influence anything here, out of fairness to what he has ahead of him."
-Jerry Jones, April 27, 2013.

Cotton

Staff member
Furthermore, imagine Robert Kraft saying this special kind of rambling, idiotic nonsense several months after a player of his was being arraigned.

“What I am sensitive about is he is going to be judged, OK? And I am sensitive about him looking like for whatever the reason he’s anticipating a result. He doesn’t feel that way, and so if you are out here getting ready to play you might look like you are thinking you are going to play.

“Well, and somebody looks at that might think that you are not. Normally, people would until sentence get to go to work. Normally they would. Are you being presumptuous if you are out here getting all ready to go and working and doing all that, are you being a little presumptuous relative to adjudication? Could be.”

“I don’t want to be a part of anything that would influence anything here, out of fairness to what he has ahead of him."
-Jerry Jones, April 27, 2013.
That jackass makes no damn sense when he speaks. It seriously makes me dizzy trying to understand what he is trying to say.

asklesko

Whoa An Active DCCer
they should've cut him first thing. keeping him around just shows how soft we are.

Carl

RIP Brother
I am not sure what the point of this whole thread is. I would doubt that Hernandez was on our draft board because of his previous. So, we didn't draft him, he was never our problem. And there you go.

When was Ratliff indicted for executing someone? I just don't see the comparison. Even with Brent, I don't see the comparison.

But please feel free to complain about everything yet again.

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
I am not sure what the point of this whole thread is. I would doubt that Hernandez was on our draft board because of his previous. So, we didn't draft him, he was never our problem. And there you go.

When was Ratliff indicted for executing someone? I just don't see the comparison. Even with Brent, I don't see the comparison.

But please feel free to complain about everything yet again.
The genesis of the thread was the question posed in the article posted and question bandied about the media -- Werder made the cutting Hernandez to not cutting Brent comparison on Twitter as well.

It's an ill-fitting comparison for sure given the disparate severity of the crimes involving each player, but discussing what people are talking about is kinda why these boards exist. It's not just random complaining.

Top Bottom